cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shaw Academy Scam School

jdm-75
I'm a participant level 2

This school is a scam. They lie about accreditation. You cannot cancel and are auto billed. I complained to Fido who 'took this very seriously and escalated the call' and I never heard anything back. Disgusting that my own provider recommended me for a scam and I'm out 70$ as a result. I've let global news and city tv know seeing as Fido is doing nothing about it and continuing to promote it. Been a customer for over 10 years.  I'm buying out of my contract and going to Bell.

17 REPLIES 17

tmed88
I'm a participant level 1

I went through the same BS. When I attempted to cancel, I had to go through 6 pages before getting a number. When I contacted them, they attemtped to avoid the question with promotions until I snapped on the phone and they sent me a confirmed cancelation.

Shaw Academy is truly an uncredited school and I am truly amazed Fido didn't fact check before promoting them. They must have given FIdo a nice check for the advertisement.

Ali_M

And I am not quite sure why FIDO still promotes this school, when there is so many complaints either here or on other websites.......

Ali_M

I am having the same issue with this fake Shaw Academy. It is a surprise that FIDO advertised it for several months, encouraging people like me to EDUCATE ourselves through a fake scam school, which survives on fraud. I cancelled my subscriptions with them 4 days ahead of the time of renewal and even checked it the day after to make sure it is cancelled. Then, I noticed that I am charged 70$ for something that I didn't ever sign up and use. I contacted the company and they offered me a GENEROUS option of 6 months of ENJOYMENT of their useless materials and that they cannot refund me because I DIDN'T CANCEL my membership!!!!

That is a lie and if I don't hear back from the company, I will also call CTV and Global news and whatever I can. It is not because of the money but I deeply feel insulted both by FIDO and this SCAM school of SHAW ACADEMY. 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Ali_M, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We always want to provide offers via Fido XTRA that our customers can benefit form and enjoy. With Shaw Academy, users of Fido XTRA get the chance to try out some of their courses for free and if you cancel your subscription charges should not apply.

You did mention cancelling it before it ended. When you did that, was any proof e-mailed to you to let you know? If so, we suggest getting back to them with that information. We do suggest you contact them again even if there isn't any, they are the ones who can review this with you and provide more info as on our end we only provide the promotional offer; anything dealing with the billing would have to be dealt with through Shaw Academy as it is their service.

I signed up for the unlimited access through Fido and I've taken 3 different courses. I just accessed and started another one before my 90 days are up. I haven't had any issues, nor have been asked for payment. I will monitor my account with them. My experience so far has been very good, but it's only good until it's not. I'm sorry to hear that people are having troubles with it. Fingers crossed

Barryflynn

Fido seriously needs to ask themselves if they want to be associated with this company.

Shaw Academy are dishonest fraudsters. I had a terrible experience with them.

They make it near impossible to cancel the "free" trial, and still charge PayPal/credit cards even if an account was cancelled.

This happened to me- I cancelled my free trial with a few days remaining and then had $69.99 withdrawn from my PayPal account a couple of hours later. This company did not respond to the dozen emails I had sent them in regard to this and I only managed to get my money back two weeks later after raising a dispute/escalation through PayPal.

You need just look through their reviews on Trustpilot (they are currently under investigation by them also) or search twitter to see that this is their standard operating procedure.

Seriously. A nightmare. This company should be investigated for fraud and it is not a good look for you guys at Fido to be complicit in their shafting of consumers.

mbremner44

I signed up there too.  Almost immediately I get spam email daily for Shoppers Drug Mart, Canada Post and Tim Horton's gift cards.  I clued in immediately that this was the only place that received my personal info and this is what they did with that information.  Complete joke.  But not to be fooled any further, I did what I should have done right from the beginning: I go to google and research what others are saying about them.  A website called TrustPilot.com published a note stating that they high number of four and five star reviews are fake.

I started to notice the lack of accreditation on BBB and noticed that there was no possible way to cancel account on the website for Shaw Academy.  I put in a request to cancel as many moderators had suggested here. The Shaw Academey wesbite even directs me to talk to a third party (i.e Fido Xtra from the looks of things).  I get the impression this is not going to be anything more than a complete run around and noone wanting to help.  To my knowledge, I have not provided this company with a credit card number and I am not expecting to see a sudden bill for something I am not using.  Upon noticing these forums and complete lack of support from the moderators, I changed my details on the Shaw Academy website and log out.  Someone in the States who happens to have the phone number I placed in there is about to get very upset with Shaw Academy for a course they never signed up for.  But what am I supposed to do if I can't get any help and my information may very well have been compromised from simply signing up for that fake school.

Congrats Fido.  You now have a bunch of upset customers because of a third party vendor who can't get any support and are now taking their frustrations out on you. 

Hey there @mbremner44, welcome to the community!

I have a quick question. When canceling, did you receive a cancellation email?

mbremner44

They won't let you cancel a free trial.  Therefore, if payment details were provided (which I was told I didn't), you can expect some problems.  Buyer beware.

Hey @mbremner44,

I did a quick search and found this article from Shaw Academy. Do you have those options on your profile, is it letting you cancel that way from a computer?

mbremner44

And by clicking that link, you will observe that it was just posted the very day you did a quick search.  So no, obviously I didn't have those options.

Hey @mbremner44

As far as we can see, that article was posted or updated 24 days ago.

That said, have you had the chance to view the article and follow the steps outlined there?

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @jdm-75

I'm sorry to read your experience with Shaw Academy was not a good one. Did you try contacting them regarding this?

jdm-75

I hope you're joking. Over a half dozen times yes. You may have missed the part where I mentioned the school is an unaccredited scam so no, they would not help me. They scammed me instead.

Hey @jdm-75

We team up with companies and merchants across Canada to provide new perks for our customers through the Fido My Account app.That being said, support is provided by the company or merchant directly. 

You can contact Shaw Academy using their email address:support@shawacademy.com.

So we can assist further, can you provide more information about the interactions you had with them? What did they tell you about your situation?

yinchung_hk

omg I register for the Shaw Academy, so how can i Quit?

Hey @yinchung_hk!

For anything Shaw Academy related, you can contact them directly: support@shawacademy.com.

Hope this helps. Smiley