cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling Phone on Kijiji, eBay, etc

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Hello Fido forum, I have a few questions regarding what information I should provide to a potential buyer when I sell my used Fido phone. I will likely sell my old iPhone on eBay...I have already called Fido to unlock my device and tried another carrier SIM to confirm it is unlocked.

Essentially I would like to know: if a buyer on eBay asks me to provide, for example, the IMEI of my device, should I give it? Is it okay to post the serial number, IMEI, etc...or is it not recommended? I don't want a potential buyer to get my phone details and blacklist my phone.

Any tips for prepping my phone for sale would greatly be appreciated, thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Nick67,

I personally would not post the serial number, IMEI, etc in the advertisement. However, most buyers would expect you to provide the IMEI in correspondence with them. That way, they can check that the IMEI is not blacklisted before they purchase.

As far as I am aware, the only person(s) who can blacklist the IMEI is someone who has that IMEI on their account (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Thank you @Cawtau for your speedy reply and providing that link to info on the IMEI blacklist.

One final question, I recently upgraded to the iPhone 8, do I need to call Fido to remove my old iPhone IMEI from my account? Will it prevent someone else from using my old iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @nick67,

There would be no need to apply any changes on your account. Once you've upgraded your device and started using the new one, the IMEI will be updated as well.

Your buyers will not be impacted in the slightest Smiley

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I previously had an iPhone SE which used the Nano SIM. I upgraded to the iPhone 8 which came with a brand new Nano SIM in the box. Do I need to use the new SIM provided or can I just my old one?

I ask because in the Change Confirmation document, it specifically lists the new SIM number under my new iPhone 8.

You can use your old SIM card f it fits @nick67. It's your call!

I recently upgraded my phone and kept my old SIM Smiley