cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam calls. Is Fido has no protection on the data??

Irinac
I'm a participant level 3

Hello Fido.

Today I have been called three times from the numbers as follow: 

+248 9999 68,

+248 9999 25,

+248 9999 37. 

Caller ID shows name "Seychelles". I checked those number online and on website WhoCallsMe.com they are posted by many people today. I accidently answer one call, never called back to, and blocked all three numbers.

My question is there are a lot of people affected by this scam today, hoppefully most people understood that it's a type of scam. but anyway, most affected numbers are registered with Fido or Rogers (which is the same company basically). You have all users' data, and you must protect this data. Then how it happened than in one day so many people were called from the same numbers?? Don't tell me that the scammers use computer generated numbers, because most of the affected people were from Toronto Area. I've been living in Alberta for two years. but kept my Ontario number, so basically my information is registered in Ontario. 

I do need real answers!!!! What kind of steps are you going to make to protect my personal information?? 

Probably about two weeks ago I received another call from +1 (867) 992-0248, it was recorded message from CRA (which I'm fully aware is a scam) with a treat to arrest me if I won't call them immidiatly. I blocked this number too. 

Anyway, to block numbers it's not a solution to this, data protection is. And it feels that all personal information is leaking from Fido to the hands of scamers.

I do request to contact me and explain what is going on not in general term but with a technical solution!!!

42 REPLIES 42

Hey @CellUser211,

I've moved your post to this thread as you'll find the answer to your concerns in the solution.

Hope this helps!

babak_m_d
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

I have same problem too. yesterday I blocked all numbers from +248 but last night about 2:00 AM, I woke up by a call from +269. Is there any other solution than blocking all foreign countries?

MattL

When “CRA” calls again, tell them you’ll pay, but tell them to meet you at the police station.

AllenHuang

I have the same problem, can Fido help? It’s just a kind of harassment to me, I get 15 to 20 a day.... and they are all different numbers but similar. This started since April 16th 2018. I live in Toronto too. Please help

Hello AllenHuang,

Welcome to the community!

Unfortunately, there isn't much that providers can do to prevent nuisance calls. However you might be able to block an entire country code from your phone by using the match criteria starts with rather than individual numbers using the exactly same as criteria. Using the numbers provided in the OP's post for example, creating a call block or call reject command using starts with +248 should block all numbers with that country code. That way you should be able to use a single command to block or reject all three of the numbers listed in that post. Obviously, if they start using a different country code, you will have to add that new country code to your phone's call reject list.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Irinac

Hi @Cawtau

ok then, could you be nice and provide to me step by step instruction how to block all country codes, and I will be pleased if you will provide country codes (all African and Middle East, Carribian, and South American). And I will be devilishly pleased if the instruction will be in pictures, I’m in desperate needs of visual aids. I believe you have access to my personal info (you stated thet you can see my address in Alberta), so email will be fine. Thanks

Hello Irinac,

Firstly, I do not work for Fido so I do not have access to your account information. I presumed you provided Fido with an Alberta address since you now live in Alberta.

You can find the required country calling codes here.

What phone do you have? Most phones should have the ability to block or reject calls. However, the phones would have slightly different methods of creating the call rejection commands. Generally, if you go to your phone's call settings there should be an option for call rejection or call blocking. It might look something like this:

Screenshot_2018-04-18-13-07-38.png

Ensure your Auto Reject mode is set to Reject calls on Auto Reject list. To add a number to the Auto Reject list, press the Manage auto reject numbers. You should be provided with a screen to add a Number and select Match Criteria. You would enter the country code for the number (ie +248 for Seychelles). Under Match Criteria, select Starts with as shown below.

Screenshot_2018-04-18-13-08-11.png

Hopefully you'll be able to find similar setting options in your phone. Those instructions should automatically reject the calls from all numbers beginning with +248, for example. You should note that these auto reject settings does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. The setting simply forwards the calls directly to voicemail without ringing the phone. There are (at least there were) some apps which could prevent callers from leaving voicemail, however, those apps answer the calls and almost simultaneously hang up the calls. That is, those calls would be considered as answered and therefore charged airtime.

Sorry I haven't provided more visual aids, but without knowing what phone you're using, the various menu options for the different phones can vary quite a bit. I often spend twice as long trying to find the same settings on my sister's phone than on mine!

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

JayJaySZ

I got the same 3 calls from the same 3 numbers between April 16th and 17th as well. Recently joined fido a few months ago, I use to be with Bell and this was never an issue. Might possibly have to consider switching back if the calls keep coming in and nothing is being done about it. 

Jawzz

My husband has Telus and only receives one or two spam calls per week. I get between 5-10 PER DAY!!!!! It's driving me crazy because I'm working from home like everyone else and so I have to leave my ring tone on. I'm a few interrupted meetings away from switching to telus o.O

Hello Jawzz,

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number.

I understand it might appear that other providers might not be as affected. However, none of the providers are immune to the SPAM calls everyone has been receiving. If your husband hasn't been receiving the same calls, it's likely because those particular spammers/scammers haven't targeted his area code/prefix combination recently. As mentioned previously in this thread, all phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain prefixes are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). Your husband may have been lucky so far, but other Telus customers have received SPAM calls as well.

That said, the mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking as a measure to try to reduce the amount of nuisance calls. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Jawzz Smiley

We really would hate if you left and we do our absolute best to prevent these types of calls.

On our end, we are working close with industry partners to implement solutions in order minimise their occurrence and there are steps you can take on your end as well. Check out @FidoClaudia's solution above to learn more.

Hello JayJaySZ,

Just because you personally never had the issue with Bell doesn't mean that Bell is immune to these scams. Similar scams have affected Bell customers as well (see here). **edit** Bell (as well as Telus and Rogers) even tweeted out a warning to their customers (see here).** Unfortunately, no provider is immune to those scams.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Irinac,

I understand getting SPAM and Scam calls is frustrating. Unfortunately, there is nothing the mobile providers can do to prevent them.

@Irinac wrote:...Then how it happened than in one day so many people were called from the same numbers?? Don't tell me that the scammers use computer generated numbers, because most of the affected people were from Toronto Area. I've been living in Alberta for two years. but kept my Ontario number, so basically my information is registered in Ontario. ...

The scammers/spammers do make calls (and send SMS) using computers to dial the numbers. However, you should note that computer generated numbers does not necessarily mean they're random. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain prefixes are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. For example:

Phone numbers.jpg

~ screen capture taken from here.

All a computer has to do is sequentially dial those numbers from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with Rogers in Toronto. Okay, some customers might have ported their numbers to other providers or moved, but those changes would not be reflected in the online databases. Those cases would be perfect examples that computers are being used. For example, this Fido customer here, received a SPAM SMS directed towards Bell/Telus customers. They had ported their number from Telus years ago, yet the online databases would still likely list their number as belonging to a Telus customer.

If those calls were targeted at Ontario customers, the fact that you still received the calls when you're living in Alberta could be evidence they're using computers and not a breach of Fido's database. Presumably, Fido has your new Alberta address. Someone living in another Province would not require duct cleaning services in Ontario, for example.

I understand you don't want to be told to block the numbers. However, as noted previously, there isn't much providers can do to prevent the calls. They cannot block the numbers at the network level. In addition to using computers to dial the numbers, they also make the calls using spoofed numbers. That is, they mask their own number and provide the number of an unsuspecting third party. Often the owners of the spoofed numbers are not aware it's being used in such a manner -- until people call them to say they're returning their call. Blocking the numbers at the network level, would mean blocking innocent customers. Even if the numbers appear to come from abroad, some people may need to use those numbers for legitimate purposes.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the number of spammers/scammers is readily available, the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hello again,

Just to add to my earlier post...

DO NOT CALL those numbers back!

It appears as those calls from +248 xxxx xx might be similar to the One Ring phone scams (see here and here). Calling those numbers back could cost an exorbitant amount of money. I understand they note that blocking suspicious numbers is not enough to protect against fraud since the scammers will simply change the number(s) slightly. However, it highlights the fact that the issue affects both Canada and US customers. The only thing, we as customers can do, is to be vigilant whenever an unknown party initiates contact over the phone.

I noted previously that there isn't anything the providers (or the CRTC) can do to prevent the calls. However, it is hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to reduce nuisance calls (see here and here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Irinac

still it does not help. As of today, April 17, I already received another fascinating call, this time from +269 8201145 (Comoros), it's first for today, but not last. So you saying that I'm being lucky to have Toronto number, no one in Alberta (with numbers registered in Alberta) has got such calls. It doesn't seem this develish program is going to move on to the different numbers in line... It's obvious that I won't call back, you don't need to be a Captain Obvious in this matter.  

According to your theory, the program should go further this following sequence of numbers, but, somehow, I got a second shot of phone calls. Give me another fascinating explanation please. May be the computer felt in love with my number, it's so symmetrical, as a statistician I def could understand it. 

Anyway, I got it, there is one solution - no solution. Thank you Fido. U stands for useless.

Hello again,

@Irinac wrote:

...no one in Alberta (with numbers registered in Alberta) has got such calls. ..

Are you sure about that? Did you watch the Consumer Alert portion on CTV video? Apparently, the scam started out in Western Canada before it made its way to Ontario. Perhaps you didn't receive that round of calls because your phone number is from Ontario. I only used that one Rogers prefix in Toronto as an example. It's just as easy to get the prefixes for other areas in Canada from that same website. It's happening across Canada and the US. **edit** It's actually happening Worldwide**

@Irina wrote:...

According to your theory, the program should go further this following sequence of numbers, but, somehow, I got a second shot of phone calls...

You likely got a second shot of phone calls (and possibly will get even more) because you inadvertently answered one of those calls. They now know that your phone number is active. That's how the sequential calling/SMS works. They systematically find active phone numbers and then concentrate additional efforts on those numbers.

@Irinac wrote:... It's obvious that I won't call back, you don't need to be a Captain Obvious in this matter.. .

I didn't direct that post at yourself in particular. I posted for any others reading this thread. I understand you might find it obvious not to call the numbers back, however, not everybody might find it as obvious. Why do you think the scams are still so lucrative for the scammers? Some people will end up calling them back -- even if it might only be accidental. If there isn't a return on their efforts, they wouldn't do it.

It's the same premise as those so-called Nigerian email scams. The emails are often filled with obvious spelling and grammatical errors. Those errors are included on purpose. The scammers want to weed-out the people who find the emails to be obvious scams. They concentrate their efforts on the people who respond to their email despite the errors. They're the ones with the greatest likelihood of providing their desired result. They don't want to waste their time corresponding with people who aren't likely to commit fully to their scam.

Regardless, the point of my earlier post was that scammers can target certain providers in certain cities without needing access to any particular providers' customer database. Fido did not sell your information. Fido's security has not been breached.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Irinac,

Welcome to the Community!

I completely understand that receiving those types of calls is not pleasant at all and can be a great irritant and I assure you that we take this very seriously.

You can also rest assured that we have nothing to do with these kinds of calls and don’t support them in any way.  Unfortunately, there isn’t anything we can do to stop these companies from contacting you because there are no laws stopping them from doing so. But we do everything we can to lower their chances of getting in touch with you.

We use sophisticated anti-spam software in our network to protect you from spammers. The software has advanced threat detection algorithms to constantly hunt for and identify suspicious activity. We also have a dedicated team who monitors and detect for mobile messaging threats and creates configurations to block current/new issues in real-time.

We try our best to stop these kinds of activities, however, as much as we try, we can't stop them all!

Most importantly, we would never sell or share any of our customers' personal information, including phone numbers, as your privacy and security stays one of our top priorities!

Avoid picking up those calls as much as possible and make sure to block the unwanted calls by blocking the caller's number. 

I also recommend reporting the incident to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:

Their site provides a large amount of information on known scams.

You can check it out for more details.

Hi @fida123 and @Irinac,

Rest assured we are doing everything that we can to lower the chance of such callers getting to you. That said, we hear you loud and clear when you say that more severe measures should be taken and we will be passing your feedback along. 

Thanks. 

Irinac

"Block the number" is your solution?? It's so wrong, I came to the same solution without your help. I did not ask what I have to do, my question was what Fido is going to do. The large amount of Toronto numbers were affected, this scammer got all those numbers in the same time, it's not like they spent much time to collect Toronto numbers, it's defenetly Fido's fault that large amount of data become available for the third party. 

When it happens once in the while it's one issue, when it happens to hundreds people in the same period of time, it's indication that something wrong with your security system. STOP TELLING ME TO BLOCK NUMBERS, do what you must to do to protect my information, and I pay for it. 

fida123

Hello,

just a question from a person affected by the same issue yesterday April 16.

Are you saying that - although a large number of FIDO users suddenly reported to have received calls from same numbers - FIDO itself will not do any investigation on why this problem affected its customers in Toronto area only?

FIDO answer is only "block the number...I know it's annoying"?

Mageda

We received this same Call. On two Numbers in the same Household. 3 days ago I received call from this number. ‭(416) 964-7260‬ I think somebody Chinese. They even left the message. I hope to have bill in good “condition “ this month.