cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS can't send or receive images in text

jln84
I'm a participant level 3

Hello all, I just switched to a new phone (UMIDIGI Power 3) and have been using it for the last 2 weeks. The only problem I'm having is with sending and recieving images in text messages. All other texts work, just not anything with a file. After some googling I found that maybe the APN settings fido pushed to the phone are incorrect. I see that my selected APN doesn't have anything set in the MMSC, MMS proxy or the MMS port sections. I would like edit those but aparently Fido blocks editing of APN settings on devices with Android 10. Is anyone else having similar issues or have been able to find a workaround?

Thanks in advance,
Jesse

5 REPLIES 5

its4u
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have the power 3, you have to leave it on 3g. Not a big deal. I do hope for a fix though 🙂

MarcelKenny
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

This might have been resolved but if not, this is what I got:
1st: Find another sim, from another company, note that Rogers might have the same issue so you might to try Bell or Telus. (I had telcel from MExico snd it worked)
2nd: Add a access point name, it will now be availble. Just add a new one, don't edit.
3rd: https://www.4gapn.com/ca/en/fido is the latest i've found.
4th: Restart you phone, send a picture by sms to yourself or ask someone to and it should work. If not, try looking for the new apn settings that mighr be updated or ask a friend with a Fido phone that can get mms and copy the APN from that phone to yours using that other sim. (NOt a fido sim)
Complicated but fido offers min. support to phone they don't sell.

Hello MarcelKenny,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information. You can view Fido's APN & MMS settings here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Jln84,

Since the phone is LTE-capable, is should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify those settings here. Have you tried using fido-core-appl1.apn to see if you can send MMS?

@jln84 wrote:...I would like edit those but aparently Fido blocks editing of APN settings on devices with Android 10. Is anyone else having similar issues or have been able to find a workaround?

Fido isn't blocking your ability to edit APNs. Your issue seems to stem from a relatively new security feature introduced in Oreo. Google has removed the ability to edit APNs with that update. Now phones rely on their internal database of APN settings. Unfortunately, that database is not always accurate. Other community members have similars issue with their unlocked phones (see here and here).

Are you able to add an APN? If you can, adding a new APN with the required information would bypass the need to edit the existing APN.

If you are unable to add an APN, your options are more limited (see here). You might consider contacting the manufacturer to see if they can edit the phone's apns-conf.xml file with the correct settings.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jln84

Thanks for the snappy reply Cawtau, my problem is very similar to the "MMS, LTE, and APN problems" thread you linked. It didn't sound like that user had any success solving their problem. I can confirm that my APN settings are not modifyable and there's no way to add another. I'm using ltemobile.apn but the values for 'MMSC", "MMS proxy", and "MMS port" are all listed as "Not set". I wish I could just change those or add a new APN but yeah. 

Maybe I've got bad information here but it sounds like google just enabled the block for cariers to enact. I understand the APNs can be added and modified if I was with a different carrier, so Fido still plays a part in this, and that would be the simpliest way to fix this for me and all other running phones they've purchased elsewhere.

Asking the manufacture to make an OTA update with the proper settings seems like an obvious dead-end. Rooting the phone so I can edit the apns-conf.xml manually which is possible but a last resort. Do I have any other options? Can Fido do anything to lift this restriction?

Thanks