cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Renewing Contract on BYOD Plan

Gmas
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

My last contract is now expired, and I've been interested in getting a new phone. When looking on the Fido website, the phone prices differ depending on if you're on a small/medium/large plan. Since I'm on an older plan, I called in to ask a rep which category my plan would fall under. Surprisingly, I was told my plan currently falls under BYOD.

I've been on this plan for years now, and have always been able to get my next phone cheaper by re-committing to my current plan for another 2 years (was 3 years in the past). As I understand it now, there's absolutely no reason or incentive to sign another contract with Fido since the reps said I'd have to switch plans to take advantage of any subsidy. Please tell me I'm missing something. It's like Fido is just daring customers to walk....

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Gmas,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the frustration. However, that fact of the matter is the cost of phones has gone up as well as the cost of services and some of the older plans do not have enough subsidy to cover the cost of today's phones. Some of the grandfathered plans were convertible to the Plus system. Unfortunately, some of them might not have been convertible to the new Small, Medium, Large system.

If you do have a grandfathered plan without subsidy, there is no option to sign another agreement without switching plans. Contracts are only available when subsidising phones/devices. However, you can keep your current plan on month-to-month basis.

That does not necessarily mean that there might not be incentive to stay with Fido (disclaimer: I do not work for Fido nor do I have any vested interest whether you stay or leave). It all depends on your priorities.

For myself, my grandfathered plan costs less than its comparable BYOP plan and actually gets more than what is currently offered. Personally, it is more cost-effective for me to keep my plan and set aside my own money towards a phone. Yes, that means I won't be able to get the newest phones at launch, but that is not my priority.

If you can afford to purchase a phone outright or are willing to start saving for a phone, you will likely save money in the long run with your current grandfathered plan.

However, if your priorities rely on subsidising a phone, then you will have to change your plan to one that does have enough subsidy to cover the cost of the device. Whether that means switching to one of Fido's current plans or switching to a plan from another provider, that decision is up to you. Do the research; do the math. Compare everything. When you do compare, just make sure you're comparing similar options. Some offers might seem better, but do their services actually suit your needs?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

alpineeric
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

In my case, my 2-year subsidized term ended. So technically, could I switch to BYOD plan, because the phone I got is already "paid off". 

Otherwise, I could bring my own device to Telus, and pay far less. I do not need a new phone. This 2-year old phone still works great. 

Hello Alpineeric,

Welcome to the community!

You are correct. Once a subsidised term has ended, you could switch to a BYOP plan. You should note that the subsidy model is different from a tab model or the more recently available leasing model.

With the subsidised model, the subsidy is incorporated into the plan (ie small, large, etc). On the other hand, with the tab model, the monthly plans and tabs are separate. Since the subsidy is incorporated into the plan, your plan does not automatically switch to a BYOP plan at the end of a contract. It remains your previous plan, should you wish to subsidise another device. If you did not wish to subsidise another phone, you would have to switch to a BYOP plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch.

You should note that the details of the in-market BYOP plans may or may not be the same as your current plan. It is not possible to keep your current plan and merely remove the subsidy.

Similarly, if you later decide you wish to subsidise a phone after switching to a BYOP plan, you would have to take a subsidised plan which is in-market at the time you decide to switch. Again, the plan details of that plan may or may not include the details of your previous subsidised plan (or 'current' BYOP plan).

If you did wish to switch to an in-market BYOP, you can view the options here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jlits
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

@Gmas

Because you are on a grandfathered plan which most likely is already discounted you would not be eligible for a new commitment without changing your plan. Their is no issue with you staying on a month to month plan. However if you ever want to get a subsidy on a phone you would have to to sign a two year commitment and change your plan to a medium or large tab plan to get the best subsidy possible. 

If the cost of upgrading your plan for 24 months equal something close to a new phone then its best to stay on BYOD and purchase the phone outright! Always compare tab vs outright purchase to see what is better for you!

Cheers Happy

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Which plan do you have? I also have a grandfathered plan no longer for sale, but I am still eligible for SMALL tab pricing. I just checked on My Account via Fido.ca and it says my Smart plan from 2013 is still eligible for Small tab pricing if I did an upgrade today. So just because your plan is grandfathered does not mean you are automatically on a BYOD plan. You should still be eligible for a subsidy provided your current plan actually isn't a BYOD plan (you didn't change to a BYOD plan after your agreement ended). We would need more details regarding which plan you have...easiest way to check is log into My Account via Fido.ca (see link below) and click the button "Change Plan" -- it will list your current plan and category (BYOD, Small, Medium, etc). Let us know Smiley

Link: https://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/Ecare_Standalone