cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone calls from Fido chinese message depart

sali4
I'm a participant level 1

I accidently answer one call 1 888- 481-3436 and blocked all  other numbers 1 888 481 2814.  It's annoying and i received calls several times almost every day.  I am not chinese and I have nothing to do with their service

6 REPLIES 6

Calculus

How did they get all of Fido customer's numbers?  It appears the only solution is to change provider.  I am not willing to get up to six of these call a day and always have my voicemail full.

liloub

Hello, 

this helped me https://www.fido.ca/consumer/content/how-to-protect-yourself-from-caller-id-spoofing-and-spam-calls?...

I downloaded the Hiya app, at least the calls are marked as "spoofing call" when they come in and some times I didn't even see them .

Hopefully it will stop with time 

Hello Calculus,

Welcome to the community!

I think everyone is rather fed up about getting SPAM and SCAM calls from spoofed numbers. Unfortunately, there currently isn't much that any of the mobile providers can do to prevent them. Since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, it is not possible to identify the true spammers' number. The numbers shown on caller ID do not belong to the spammers. They often belong to innocent, unsuspecting people. There isn't much that can be done to prevent numbers from being spoofed. In some instances, the spammers/scammers will use the recipients' own phone numbers to make the calls. Even the RCMP are not immune to being spoofed (see here). 

I understand it appears like they might only be targeting Fido customers, however, none of the providers are immune to the SPAM calls everyone has been receiving. In fact, the problem is broader than solely a Canadian issue -- it's Worldwide (see here).

It's actually not that difficult for spammers/scammers to direct those calls to a particular provider. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online. Certain area code and prefix combinations are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). They'll likely change the message depending on the area code/prefix combination. There have been instances where people who have ported their phone numbers to other providers still receive SPAM directed at their original providers.

As mentioned above, the mobile providers have implemented Universal Call Blocking which is meant to block calls from malformed phone numbers. That said, I'm doubtful whether it will have much of an effect on the amount of SPAM or SCAM calls since many of them appear to have properly formed phone numbers. In addition, a new technology, STIR/SHAKEN (Secure Telephone Identity Revisited/Signature-based Handling of Asserted Information Using Tokens) is being adopted to further reduce the amount of nuisance calls (see here). However, I have my doubts as to whether those measures will reduce the amount of SPAM calls. My understanding is the STIR/SHAKEN will only identify possible SPAM calls and mark the calls as suspected SPAM.

Switching providers might seem like a solution. If friends or co-workers haven't been receiving the same calls on different providers, it's likely because those particular spammers/scammers haven't targeted their area code/prefix combinations recently. It doesn't mean that all of those providers' customers haven't received SPAM calls.

Unfortunately, until the technology to unmask the true number of spammers/scammers is readily available (not simply the number shown on the caller ID), the only solution currently is to block the numbers on your phone. You should note that blocking the calls only prevents the calls from ringing your phone. It does not prevent the callers from leaving voicemail. There are (at least were) some apps which claimed to also prevent callers from leaving voicemail. They worked by answering and almost simultaneously ending the calls. While those apps do prevent calls from going to voicemail, the calls are also considered 'answered' and therefore count as airtime.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sali4,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does have Chinese speaking customer service representatives. However, those calls are not from Fido. They are from spammers/scammers trying to target Fido's Chinese immigrant customer base. I understand many people who do not speak or understand the language are also receiving the calls. It's easier for the spammers/scammers to simply call all of Fido's phone numbers rather than to determine which phone numbers belong to Chinese customers. In fact, it appears that they aren't even bothering to only target Fido customers anymore. Some people from other providers have also received similar messages.

Unfortunately, since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, there isn't much that can be done to prevent the nuisance calls. While Universal Call Block has been implemented, that system only blocks calls from malformed phone numbers. Hopefully, the new protocol STIR/SHAKEN will help prevent nuisance calls from spoofed numbers. However, that system is not yet fully implemented.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cheers

lilywang1204

Recently I have received two calls from someone who claimed he is from Fido Customer Service and his caller ID is even the same as the one on my phone contact(I saved Fido Customer Line as one of the contacts).  He said my phone will be suspended in 4 hours as someone tried to link his phone number to my account and has sent many suspected text messages.  This is getting wild.  I hope Fido can come up with a better solution so your customers won't get scammed by these criminals.

Hey @lilywang1204 Smiley

Sorry to hear about what's been going on! We're always working on improving our processes to avoid scam calls and messages.

As a friendly reminder, you should not share personal information, click on any links or open any attachments if they are from suspicious text messages.

You can report the messages to Fido by sending it to 7726 (SPAM). 
This way, it will be audited then blocked from the Fido network. 

This can be easily done on most devices by pressing and holding the message, then press the forward button and send to 7726. 

I also suggest you report both the number that sent the text message and the contents of the message to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre:
OR
- By phone: 1 888 495-8501

If ever you receive this type of message again, and want to make sure it really comes from Fido, you can verify a few simple things, which are listed here.

As for calls, you can always call in to Fido to check on your account to ensure the calls were not from us. We'll be able to look at notes on your account to confirm. 

Hope this helps!