cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas text messages

JB8084
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have family travelling overseas and they have data and activated iMessage while travelling. Will I receive charges for texts sent to me from them while overseas? If I reply?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello JB8084,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note that iMessages are not considered text messages (SMS and/or MMS). Those types of messages are transmitted as data. If connected to Wifi, those messages would transmit via the Wifi source. On the other hand, if the messages are sent/received via cellular data, it would be taken from your regular data allotment.

@JB8084 wrote:

....Will I receive charges for texts sent to me from them while overseas? ...

If you are referring to text messages (SMS and/or MMS), it would depend on the details of your plan. In general, there are no charges for receiving text messages. In addition, most newer plans would include unlimited incoming text messages. However, there are some plans which only include a limited number of incoming and outgoing text messages. Any received text messages would count against that text allotment.  

@JB8084 wrote:

....If I reply?...

Again, it could depend on the details of your plan as well as whether the messages are iMessage or text message. You noted your family travelling overseas have data. I assume they have chosed to use a local SIM card for data. If they send an iMessage, sending and/or receiving the messages would be via Wifi or cellular data, as outlined above.

On the other hand, if they send a text message (SMS and/or MMS) using a local SIM card, replying to their message would be to an International phone number. While many plans include International messaging or Unlimited Canada-wide and International text, picture and video messages sent from Canada, some plans may only include Canada-wide messaging.

The details of your plan should be outlined in your My Account.

You should note that this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. You might consider verifying those details with customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers