Do I need a plan to receive text messages overseas?

SOLVED
MauricioMP
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi, some help here please. I saw on community boards here that we can receive text messages with Fido overseas. But the problem is I´m traveling for more than 2 months. Do I need a monthly plan to receive text messages, or can I just be on a pre-paid plan, which is ideal for the cost? I can´t pay $14/day while out of the country, it´s ridculously expensive. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Do I need a plan to receive text messages overseas?

Solved by Senior MVP Senior MVP

Hello MauricioMP,

Welcome to the community!

If you do not wish to travel using Fido Roam, you might consider opting out of the service. Once you are confirmed to have the service disabled on your account, your usage abroad would be on a pay-per-use basis. If you choose to travel without Fido Roam, you might consider disabling data and roaming data as those charges can add up quite quickly.

Alternatively, you can also travel and use your services on a pay-per-use basis with pre-paid plans. You can view the pay-per-use rates for both post-paid and pre-paid plans here.

What plan do you have (or thinking of choosing)? You should note that some plans do not allow for roaming. You would need to verify that your plan is compatible with roaming.

In addition, you might consider verifying whether your phone is compatible with the local networks at your destination.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

View solution in context
1 REPLY 1
Cawtau
Senior MVP

Hello MauricioMP,

Welcome to the community!

If you do not wish to travel using Fido Roam, you might consider opting out of the service. Once you are confirmed to have the service disabled on your account, your usage abroad would be on a pay-per-use basis. If you choose to travel without Fido Roam, you might consider disabling data and roaming data as those charges can add up quite quickly.

Alternatively, you can also travel and use your services on a pay-per-use basis with pre-paid plans. You can view the pay-per-use rates for both post-paid and pre-paid plans here.

What plan do you have (or thinking of choosing)? You should note that some plans do not allow for roaming. You would need to verify that your plan is compatible with roaming.

In addition, you might consider verifying whether your phone is compatible with the local networks at your destination.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers