I'm a participant level 1

I got an offer "One time fee-US roaming offer $50.00/mo" 

Is it including Data as well?

15 REPLIES 15

Svenncl

I accidentally clicked the "get this offer" and removed the add-on immediately. Will they charge me?

Hi @Svenncl , you should check your account to see if any changes were applied. If your account registered the change then you may have to call customer support to have it rectified. 

Gneissguy16

Hi Original_Lucy,

Are you able to answer this question. I signed up for the one-time fee of $50 for roaming in US until Dec 31, 2024. However, when I signed on to my account and added it, it says the offer expires in one month instead of dec 31, 2024. 

Is this Fido's system displaying the wrong info?

Hi @Gneissguy16 , I am pretty sure that meant you have one month to accept the offer. When you roam in the US, you will have full use of your plan as you do at home. If you have canada/us calling then you can use that to call home. You will have full use of the plan you have while in the US until December 31st 2024 midnight EST. (or 9pm pacific)

msenia

Hello @Original_Lucy 

Thanks for your response to @Gneissguy16. What you say would appear sensible, but I am far from sure this is how it works. I have subscribed to this add-on - first by mistake as I wanted more info and instead it just completed the "purchase". So I called Fido and the agent told me that it was only a plan to call the US from Canada. I knew it didn't make sense, but he was so sure of his explanation that I asked him to remove the add-on from my plan.

Then, this agent had to refer me to a customer service agent a bit higher up in the hierarchy. This guy knew nothing about the offer but was kind and looked it up. He documented the whole thing and assured me it was a roam like at home kind of deal.

Except, I'm in the US now and have been getting these kinds of texts:

"Fido Info: Since 21 July 2024 07:49 ET you have used almost 50 MB. If you need more, you automatically have access to another 50 MB for just $12.0 (+taxes) to use within the initial 24 hrs.To view other roaming options, visit www.fido.ca/m/usa (no charge). Sent Jul 21 2024 ET".

Can I say I am very disappointed? Not to mention that I have way better connectivity when I purchase a data only eSim from another company to use data while in the US, which is the idea behind purchasing this one-time add-on.

If anyone at Fido is reading, I'd like to say that a) your transparency as been deficient lately. It is impossible to get any further information on this add-on, what it includes and what it doesn't, whether through customer service or in my account where I see that the option has been added. For instance, does it include data? And does it work in Hawaii or Puerto Rico? Also, b) I realize that everyone struggles to hire quality staff, but your agents have really not been up to par lately. I've had to deal with another agent, this time concerning my dad's plan and after choosing the technical issue option. The girl who eventually picked up was absolutely clueless (it was a question related to transfering an old SIM card to a new device and why it was not working) and who thought that the best way to deal with the situation was to reformulate my question while distorting it over and over again. Lastly, c) why has it become so difficult to get through to an agent? That same week, I called three times and it took over 20 minutes to get to an agent each time, and that's not counting the time wasted to go through the numerous options trying to steer us away from talking to a live person. The first time I got through, I spoke to someone working from home and who was unable to connect to my account. She said I could hang up and try again (could tell she preferred I did that), or she could call me back when her problem accessing the system was resolved. Not wanting to waste any more time , I opted to get a call back. She assured me she worked until 10 pm that night, so for another 6 hours, and that she'd therefore have the opportunity to call me back. She of course never did, but I am guessing that she too would not have been helpful explaining the one-time $50 roaming fee option.

All this to say, after 23 years as a Fido member, I am finding this is the worst the customer service department has gotten. Lucky we have the user forum Smiley

Hi @msenia and welcome to the Community,

Sorry to read about your experience.

The $50 roaming offer you are referring to allows you to use your services in the US as if you were in Canada. This means you would have access to you plan's feature as if you were in Canada still so calls to any Canadian or US numbers will not incur long-distance charges, only the roaming fee (see here and here). So instead of paying the daily fee of $12 for roaming in the US, you get to pay a one-time fee of $50 which would allow you to roam for free in the US until the end of the year.

Hawaii and Puerto Rico are part of the US under our Fido Roam program.

AbbyD

Thank you for the explanation. I have a follow-up question: If I currently do not have a plan that allows me to call the US from Canada, but I have activated this one-time roaming offer valid until December 2024, can I make calls to US numbers while roaming in the USA with my number?

Hey @AbbyD! I hope you're doing well. 🙂

To answer your question, yes, if you do have a special offer that provides free roaming access in the US, you can make calls to numbers in the US without any extra charge. Think of it like making a call wihin Canada with your Canadian plan, just that it works the same way while you're in the US while making a call to the US.

I hope this helps!

Hi @sakadieun87 , yes the one time $50 roam like home gives you the full use of your plan to use in the US, until the end of this year. Great deal if you go there frequently. One time payment and roam in US until December 31st 2024. Sounds good to me 👍🏻 

Bimotin
I'm a participant level 2

Thank you. Wuick questions: Does this cover Canada to US free calling too ?

second, when in US, calling to Canada and US numbers and receiving calls from anywhere covered ?  Usage of data too ?

auntyc
I'm a participant level 3

Do you know how people get this offer and if there is specific criteria to get the offer?  I was just in the US for 30 days and got charged about $400 for the Roam Like Home on top of my regular phone bill.  😢

Hey @auntyc,

To avoid Fido Roam fees, you have to make sure that your mobile/roaming data is turned off at all times, to not send texts and to not make/receive phone calls.
You can also put your phone on airplane mode, turn off the device or remove the SIM (at all times as well).

https://www.fido.ca/mobility/roaming

If you need assistance or have any questions about your bill, please don't hesitate to contact us!

Bimotin

@FidoAllan  can you pls answer about $50 one time offer ? I have taken the offer however never received second email and the laguange in document is confusing.

1. does it cover Canada to US calls and while in US then to US to Canada calls ?

2. Is it true US roaming, means, the Fido plan works as home without incurring any additional daily cost

3. is it really till Dec 31, 2024?

thanks in advance. 

Hello Bimotin,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you should note these forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. We do not have access to customers' accounts. As far as I am aware, those offers are exclusive to particular lines and not necessarily available to all customers. 

I do understand you may have accepted the offer suggesting your line is eligible for the promotion. However, if you did not receive any confirmational email, you might consider verifying the promotion on your line with customer service. It would be an unfortunate situation if you thought the offer was active on your line when it might not have been. They would also be able to answer your questions directly.

If you do intend on verifying the information, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

auntyc

I was shocked when I saw my bill.  I had intended on using my Roam Like Home.  I saw the part that said Roam Like Home is $12 a day for a maximum of 20 days and then free after that.   I didn't see right away that it said "Per billing cycle".  Being that I left in the middle of my billing cycle and got back in the middle of the next there were zero free days.   I didn't realize this before I left on my holiday.   In looking now I see it does say "Per billing cycle" but missed it before.   It was a sad mistake and I sure learned to read the fine print.   I don't know anyone that plans their vacations around their phone plan billing cycles.   🤷‍:male_sign:  It was a sad lesson for me.   
I have a friend that received an offer of a one time fee of $50 to use roaming in the USA till the end of December.   This was with Rogers.   In looking into it I see that some Fido customers are getting the same offer as well.     I am curious what the criteria is to get the offer.   I am hoping to be travelling to the USA again soon and would jump on this offer if I could.