Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving some text messages

_a
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I have a Fido number for over a year and I'm self-employed and using my phone as a mean of connecting to my clients so send/receive texts a lot.

Today I figured out that I'm not receiving text messages from some people I've already had a messages from. I haven't had a problem with network connection and all this time was in downtown Halifax (safe to assume Fido has great coverage here).

The phone is Huawei P20pro and it's unlocked. I'm using native Android Messages app and it was the only app I ever used on this phone.

Test message to myself comes immediately. Whenever I ask someone to text me I see this message delivered, so switching sim card to other phone I will not get the quick answer if it's phone related.

UPD: Contact with a number starting with 506-... (not sure if it's related) just said that she was trying to text me for couple of weeks, but I haven't received her texts at all.

9 REPLIES 9

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @_a

Welcome to the Community!

That's definitely not an ideal situation to be in. We know how important it is that your services are working as they should, especially when it is something that you rely on for your business. 

You said that this is happening with some of your clients. Do they all have number in the 506 area code or is this client the only one that has told you they are not able to reach you by SMS? 

If she is the only one having difficulty sending you SMS, she may need to do some testing herself as this may be originating on her end. 

Let us know! 

_a

Hey Amanda!

This is not only for 506 area code. I'm missing messages from multiple 902 numbers as well. Got confirmations from them today.

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @_a

Thank you for clarifying. You mentioned testing the SIM in a different device in your original post. Can you confirm that the same thing happens while it is in another phone? 

Can you also let us know if you're able to receive phone calls from these same numbers? 

_a

Hi Pierre,

I do not have a problems receiving phone calls from those (or any other) numbers.

I mentioned that using SIM with another phone will not give immediate result, I need to use other phone for at least a month and still might not get the final understanding about what happening.
My business specifics that when new clients are sending texts to me and if I'm not getting this texts there is no way for me to know that something was actually sent, and clients might not want to send me another text thinking I'm not responding being busy or whatnot.

Another case when in the beginning of text conversation I'm asking for some details from customers and they're not responding I can't say if they've sent the response and it wasn't delivered or they dropped the idea to have a business with me (also, it's not polite to keep bugging clients if they haven't responded).
That said, can we proceed with another remote diagnostics step (skipping sim card usage with another phone).

Thanks a lot!

Hey @_a! I'll see what I can do to help you. Smiley

To that end, I need some more information to help pin-point the nature on the problem. Can you provide the following please:

1. Is the issue intermittent with those phone numbers or constant?

2. Do you happen to know if a specific provider is involved (ex. is it only Bell customers that can't reach you)?

3. Have you tried to power-cycle (turn off then on) or restore your phone?

4. Is the phone software up-to-date?

5. What version of the OS (operating system) are you running?

Thank you!

If you need a live diagnosis, I suggest you contact us here from another phone so we can run proper tests.

_a

Hi Philippe,

1. Intermittent
2. I don't know providers, sorry

3. I've tried off/on phone. I haven't tried factory reset (if that is what you referring to)

4. All software updates are installed

5. Android 9. Security patch May, 5, 2019, (EMUI version 9.0.0)

Thanks for the update @_a!

Do you know if the same phone numbers always involved or do they change?

_a

I'm not sure if I understand correctly question.
Let's imagine following cases:
Message_1 from sender_A is received.

Message_2 from sender_A is missed.

Message_1 from sender_B is missed.

Message_2 from sender_B is received.

Message_3 from sender_B is received.

and maybe Message_1 from sender_C is missed. I don't know. sender_C is never contacted me other than text.
Does this answers your question?

I have couple of questions for you in return.
1. Are we getting any closer to the solution for this problem?
2. Do you know what is my phone number (that I'm having problems with)?

Hello @_a

Let's take a closer look at your account to see what's going on.

I'm sending you a PM now to look into it. Talk to you soon.