Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 iTDES
I'm a Participant Level 1

Is Wi-Fi Calling free?

Is the wifi calls are for Free ??!

** Edited to modify title ** 

Accepted Solution

Re: Is Wi-Fi Calling free?

The calls made over WiFi will be treated the same way as if it was made over the cell network. The minutes will be deducted from your monthly alloted minutes if you have unlimited minutes then you don't have to worry.

If you are using Wi-Fi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number
Roaming and/or long distance charges will vary depending on the roaming option you have on your account.

If you have Roam Like HomeTM: Outgoing Wi-Fi calls or messages made to a non-Canadian number will incur the Roam Like Home daily charge. If you have already incurred this charge, then all outgoing Wi-Fi calls and messages made or sent within that 24-hour period will be Roam Like Home-rated.

*Edited title

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 14
Highlighted
Solution

The calls made over WiFi will be treated the same way as if it was made over the cell network. The minutes will be deducted from your monthly alloted minutes if you have unlimited minutes then you don't have to worry.

If you are using Wi-Fi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number
Roaming and/or long distance charges will vary depending on the roaming option you have on your account.

If you have Roam Like HomeTM: Outgoing Wi-Fi calls or messages made to a non-Canadian number will incur the Roam Like Home daily charge. If you have already incurred this charge, then all outgoing Wi-Fi calls and messages made or sent within that 24-hour period will be Roam Like Home-rated.

*Edited title

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 14
Highlighted

Hey @iTDES

There's also a bunch of information about Wi-Fi Calling right here

Let us know if you have other questions Smiley .

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 14
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 josborn
I'm a Participant Level 2

If we use wifi calling how does fido justify charging us since we are actually not using your network?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 14
Highlighted

Hey @josborn

Wi-Fi calling is primarily offered as a way to let you use your mobile phone in more places when connected to Wi-Fi such as at the cottage or in basements. This offers you some extra coverage but you still have access to your Fido Services! Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 14
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 LH216
I'm a Participant Level 3

So basically they could they just won't.

This way we pay twice. Once for the internet and once for the cell service we don't use.

Welcome to capitalism.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 14
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoTerry
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @LH216! Smiley

One of the features of Wi-Fi calling is that you get to keep texting and placing call using your Fido number. Naturally because you will be using the features of your Fido plan, Wi-Fi calling won't be free. Hope this clarifies everything. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 14
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3 LH216
I'm a Participant Level 3

Not arguing. It's pointless. Jumping ship as soon there is a chance.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 14
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

We'd hate to see you go @LH216 Sad

I'll send you a PM and we'll go over this together. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 14
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello LH216,

Welcome to the community!,

If you're jumping ship because of this issue, you should note that it's the same with the other providers as well.

Wifi calling via mobile providers is slightly different from other free Wifi calling services (ie Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, etc) because while the calls are initially routed through the Internet, at some point the calls are passed over to the traditional telephone network to complete the connection. Similarly, when receiving calls via Wifi calling, the calls pass from the telephone network to the Internet to complete the connection. Even if both parties were using Wifi calling, the calls would still route through the telephone network at some point. Since the calls are routed via the telephone network, that's why they're considered airtime.

On the other hand, the free services of those apps require both parties to use the same app. Often those apps cannot complete calls to landlines or cellular phones. If they can, usually charge for those calls.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 14