iTDES
I'm a participant level 1

Is the wifi calls are for Free ??!

18 REPLIES 18

Sc123

Gouging roaming rates and no support for cost free wifi calling. Highly dissatisfied with Fido's international options to connect. 

CamLillico

Has this been resolved? Why do we pay for Wifi calling? I understand that the response is "it's treated the same as if a call was made over the cell network", but the question is why is that the case? 

And please don't respond with: Because all the telecoms do it. That's not why you do it, that's how you do it and it's called an oligarchy.

Hello CamLillico,

Welcome to the community!

I understand it seems intuitive that Wifi-calling should be 'free' because you're using Wifi. However Wifi-calling is different from other types of Wifi-based calling apps such as WhatsApp or Skype, etc. With app-based calls, the entirety of the calls are transmitted via the internet. In addition, those types of calls require both parties to use the same app. If the receiving party does not use the app, there are charges for connecting those calls. The reason there are charges for calls outside of the app is that those calls would terminate via the telecommunications networks (cellular or landline).

With Wifi-calling, the calls do not transmit entirely via the internet. Wifi-calling calls are routed through the cellular networks (see graphic here). Rather than connecting to a cellular tower, your phone is using Wifi to access the cellular networks. The services still use cellular networks. Calls are treated the same as if a call was made over the cellular network because they are being made over the cellular networks. Wifi is just a different means to connect to the networks.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

bill30

They are free in the US.  Catch up.

Your plans are out of date.  Roaming charges are abusively high.

Hello Bill30,

Welcome to the community!

@bill30 wrote:

They are free in the US...

Except that they are not? They operate the same way as Fido (and likely other Canadian providers as well) (see here and here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

josborn
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

If we use wifi calling how does fido justify charging us since we are actually not using your network?

Hey @josborn

Wi-Fi calling is primarily offered as a way to let you use your mobile phone in more places when connected to Wi-Fi such as at the cottage or in basements. This offers you some extra coverage but you still have access to your Fido Services! Smiley 

LH216
I'm a participant level 3

So basically they could they just won't.

This way we pay twice. Once for the internet and once for the cell service we don't use.

Welcome to capitalism.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We'd hate to see you go @LH216 Sad

I'll send you a PM and we'll go over this together. 

FidoTerry
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the community @LH216! Smiley

One of the features of Wi-Fi calling is that you get to keep texting and placing call using your Fido number. Naturally because you will be using the features of your Fido plan, Wi-Fi calling won't be free. Hope this clarifies everything. 

LH216

Not arguing. It's pointless. Jumping ship as soon there is a chance.

Hello LH216,

Welcome to the community!,

If you're jumping ship because of this issue, you should note that it's the same with the other providers as well.

Wifi calling via mobile providers is slightly different from other free Wifi calling services (ie Whatsapp, Skype, Viber, etc) because while the calls are initially routed through the Internet, at some point the calls are passed over to the traditional telephone network to complete the connection. Similarly, when receiving calls via Wifi calling, the calls pass from the telephone network to the Internet to complete the connection. Even if both parties were using Wifi calling, the calls would still route through the telephone network at some point. Since the calls are routed via the telephone network, that's why they're considered airtime.

On the other hand, the free services of those apps require both parties to use the same app. Often those apps cannot complete calls to landlines or cellular phones. If they can, usually charge for those calls.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

LH216

My reply was deleted. "referencing other products, websites, or offers" 4ba0b88773395f93776dce2d270dce7f_like-this-item-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil-monkeys-clipart_430-430

Hello again,

I'm not sure what you referenced previously, but I just checked the Telus, Bell, Rogers, Freedom Mobile, and even Virgin Mobile websites again and they all treat Wifi calling as airtime (plus long distance, if applicable).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

LH216

And I cannot tell you what I referenced because that is why it was deleted!

Thus the monkey picture!

Try discussing anything.

PS: Thanks to ???? (I can't look up her name, because on this site, if I am in the forum, I can't find the messages and when in messages I can't get to forum Aaarrrrgggghhhh!???) so the thanks is because she sent me the page that was deleted. So anyone wants to see what I wrote just have to message me.

OR the links deleted in messages too?!

Hello,

Thanks to LH216 for kindly forwarding the information to me...

Just to clarify, they were referring to services providing virtual numbers. Virtual numbers (DID) have available for a long time and are not associated with an actual telephone line or network. However, a number with mobile provider is associated with network. While a Wifi call might free up capacity at the local cell tower, it still routes through the network -- airtime. As noted previously, they are completely different services and you cannot compare the two services.

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

The calls made over WiFi will be treated the same way as if it was made over the cell network. The minutes will be deducted from your monthly alloted minutes if you have unlimited minutes then you don't have to worry.

If you are using Wi-Fi Calling while outside of Canada, the following will be deducted from your airtime and messaging limits included in your wireless plan without incurring any long distance or roaming charges:

Incoming calls and messages received from anywhere in the world
Outgoing calls and messages made or sent by you to a Canadian number
Roaming and/or long distance charges will vary depending on the roaming option you have on your account.

If you have Roam Like HomeTM: Outgoing Wi-Fi calls or messages made to a non-Canadian number will incur the Roam Like Home daily charge. If you have already incurred this charge, then all outgoing Wi-Fi calls and messages made or sent within that 24-hour period will be Roam Like Home-rated.

*Edited title

Hey @iTDES

There's also a bunch of information about Wi-Fi Calling right here

Let us know if you have other questions Smiley .