cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interac e-transfer scam????

melgasbal
I'm a participant level 1

hi i just want to ask if fido mobility give reward money to the customers? because i got one and tried to put it in my account. however, i didn't got the money, because after i open my banking account it is not found. I'm just worry because of that they may get my bank information and use it on something..

27 REPLIES 27

bonggargler

Hi there, 

We recently came back to Fido after being on another carrier. We were told the activation fee would be waived, but it gets charged and then credited.  We received text messages as soon as we put the Fido SIM card in saying that our $50.00 was available with a link to deposit it in our account (which is the same amount as the activation fee).  The timing just seemed really, really odd and I am not prone to falling for scams coupled with the fact that the amount is the same.  Is this legit or still a scam?  

Hello Bongbargler,

Welcome back to Fido and to the community!

Thanks for the information! You're right to be suspicious. That message is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

A couple of tell-tale signs the the message is SPAM. Firstly, Fido won't send etransfers via email or text message link. Fido will automatically credit your account.

In addition, if Fido does send legitimate SMS, it will come from one of their short codes, not a phone number. Admittedly, since spoofing is so wide-spread, it's possible the spammers/scammers could eventually learn to spoof those codes as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Anna2006
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Maybe this is an inside job, because how did they know the exact information and amount we pay and our mobile number? 

Hey @Anna2006

Our customer's personal information and account security is very important to us.

We take this seriously and do not sell or give out our customer's personal information. 

If you have any questions concerning your account, please contact us here. We'll be happy to help. 

Hello Anna2006,

Unfortunately, I cannot speak as to the amount specified in the message you received and the amount you actually pay.

With regards to the mobile number, it's rather likely the same messages are being sent to all Fido customers with the same area code / prefix combination. All phone numbers -- whether landline or mobile -- are in databases which are readily available online (for example, see here). Certain prefixes are designated as landlines, others as Rogers, Fido, Bell, etc. All a spammer/scammer needs to do is have a computer sequentially dial the numbers of a desired area code/prefix combination from 0000 to 9999 and all of those customers would be with their desired target (see here). 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Good morning @huynhcvi @melgasbal , good call on reporting and deleting those text messages. There's so much spam and fraud these days. Just a reminder for anyone reading this, to report spam, long press on the message,select forward and enter 7726 and send. I have Fido spam in my contacts so it's easier than trying to remember the number every time 

toher

The message I got comes from (902) 448-4695 and says : Fido vous souhaite un merveilleux 2022!! Pour votre loyauté on vous donne $75: fido-interac.transfert-2022.com

Reported as spam and blocked.

huynhcvi

I got the same message from the same number.

I just deleted it. Thanks for the info.

wilddolphins

When you go to the site you will also several spelling mistakes which also is a "good" indication that it's spam Smiley

JMcBurnz

What I'd like to know and that everyone seems to be missing is "how do these people know we are Fido customers to begin with??'" 

I used to receive the same messages while with Rogers. It would say "Dear Rogers customer......". 

I find it strangely unlikely that these scammers are sending these texts randomly. It begs the question, does it not? Is it public information which carrier my cell number is with?  The only other possible scenario is that they've accessed the list from Fido somehow correct?  Thank you.

Hello @JMcBurnz,

Welcome to the community!

Specific area codes and their prefixes (NPA-NXX) are assigned to specific carriers by the Canadian Numbering Administrator. That would be how they would know which carrier the number belongs to.

RAFAEL82

I have just received this text almost put my credit card in. However I did inform my RBC account number and password. What should I do?

Hey @RAFAEL82

Did you give out your banking account informations? If that's the case, I would suggest reaching out to the Bank to report this. I would also report this to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

If you haven't given our your informations, everything should be fine. You can simply forward the message to us and we'll audit it.

Please keep in mind that Fido will never ask you for such informations through a text message. 

Dave86

I did a simple trace on the IP it tried to direct me to, (http://68.183.40.167/index2.html) , in my case, it is a location in london england the isp is called Digital ocean, but more than likely the scammers bounce through multiple isp

Bivin

Got a scam message today! Beware guysFido scam.png

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Bivin

Welcome to the community Smiley

Thanks for taking the time to report the message.  You can flag these messages for investigation by forwarding them to 7726 (SPAM)..

DebbieTaylor

I received a phone txt saying from fido for an e-transfer. I opened the link but did not supply any info. Just thought a bit odd fido would send me this. Am glad I never released any info.

st123

I received a text today saying "92.19 CAD received from (MYFIDO)  Press the link to claim your funds: http://ow.ly/xdSH30mWP04      REF# 07-91872

Hello,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely SPAM. The providers are doing all that they can to prevent SPAM SMS. You can help by forwarding these messages to 7726 (SPAM) (see here). Once audited, it will be used to augment the SPAM filter. Unfortunately, as fast as these messages get blocked by the SPAM filter, the spammers/scammers find new ways to bypass the filter.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Bbfido

Received the exact one a few minutes ago.