IOS IKEv2 VPN over LTE does not work anymore

I'm a Contributor Level 1 kris2k
I'm a Contributor Level 1

IOS IKEv2 VPN over LTE does not work anymore

I’ve read the recent posts about people affected by usage NordVPN complaining, but in my case, it’s my personal network and my internal users.

I’ve ran through the preliminary details and it appears that the phone is initiating a direct IPV6 tunnel that’s superseding the device’s routing table and not allowing the device to use the IPv4 or IPv6 gateways provided by the VPN tunnel (our IPSec tunnel is dual-stack) which are provided by the device’s routing table.

What’s up with this?

Any recommended IOS profile tweaks to push down?

Accepted Solution

Re: IOS IKEv2 VPN over LTE does not work anymore

Hey everyone!

A little bit of an update for this. Smiley 

For Apple devices: 
Apple has released the latest iOS 12.0.1 software which may resolve issues for certain remote/VPN Apps using the IPv6-only connections.

If you’re experiencing this issue, please update to iOS 12.0.1 (or newer) and test again.

A possible workaround for Android devices only:
Modify the APN “ltemobile.apn” to IPv4 instead of the default IPv4/IPv6 in the phone settings, under Wireless & Networks - Cellular Networks - Access Point Names.

Power cycle the device and test the VPN connection again.

If the issue persists, please note the date and time of the failure and let us know so we can send you a PM to look closer into this with you.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 99

Hey @ken20kca,

Just to clarify, are you using your phone to tether or is your work computer connected to your Home Internet?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 76 of 99
I'm a Participant Level 2 ken20kca
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi FidoClaudia,

I used my phone to tether, so my work laptop can VPN back to office PC for work. It has always work since I join Fido, but all of suddent it stop working like about a month ago. My work require me to VPN back to office for emergency response. I have done test with my coworker's phone(using Bell), and it was working. So there seems to be an issue on Fido's end. Thx

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 77 of 99
I'm a Participant Level 2 ken20kca

The issue has been resolved. It seems Fido is dropping IKE traffic from my VPN client. As a work around, I had to restrict the size of the first ISAKMP packet sent from my VPN client. (Sonicwall)

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 78 of 99
I'm a Participant Level 2 jsdecarie

Same problem here, I use to have my ipv6 turn off from Fido technical support, but it seems I just the the ipv6 back few days ago... "jabber" voip app for job is not working anymore !  please help to block ipv6 again on my account !  

thank you,

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 79 of 99

Hi @ken20kca

I'm happy to find out that it's resolved on your end.

@jsdecarie

What's the error message that you are getting on your end exactly?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 80 of 99
I'm a Participant Level 2 jsdecarie

Hi, when ipv6 is activated, I can’t use a VOIP app I’m using for my works. (Cisco Jabber). If I’m using an APN to disable ipv6 it fixed the problems instantly.  I’ve already speak with « bureau of president » concerning that matters, and the problem has been fixed since October. But it seems somebody has reactivates ipv6 feature for my account.  To explained furthermore, when Rogers is converting ipv4 to ipv6 they screw my app authentication and I can’t get a positive handshake from our job server because my token is not valid anymore. I’ve already trace and dig into packets to found the reason of the issue with firewalls and IT team at my work. An engineer from Rogers (back in October) was aware of this protocol translation problem.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 81 of 99
Former Moderator FidoJulien
Former Moderator

Hey @jsdecarie

I'll send you a PM so we can take a look at this with you.

Talk to you soon!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 82 of 99
I'm a Participant Level 2 mountainsofsnow

Hello, I am unable to use my VPN while on the Fido Network (LTE). Is it possible to look into my account and block all iPV6 traffic in my account? my work VPN only works over standard iPV4. Thank you for getting back to me

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 83 of 99

Hey @mountainsofsnow. Welcome to the Community and congratulation on your first post.

We can certainly take a closer look at that with you. We'll be sending you a PM shortly. 

Talk to you soon. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 84 of 99
I'm a Participant Level 1 luka-zhang
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi there, 

this is Luca. I have a same problem as this thread posted.. my device is IPHONE X  and system like 12.02 or higher. Can you please help me to fix this situation? Cause I want to use VPN to do some work! By the way, I’m useing Nord VPN! Looking for ward for your reply!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 85 of 99
Moderator (inactive) FidoRachel
Moderator (inactive)

I'm sending you a PM @luka-zhang, we'll look into this! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 86 of 99

To everyone here that is having the same problem. As of January 6, 2019 I have opened two tickets. One here on the Fido forums and one on the phone. Support & administrators will take your information, ask you for your IMEI, and create a ticket—but they will not solve the issue however courteous they are. I have a theory is because they don't have a solution yet. If you need to use VPN over LTE it may be a good idea to start considering other options.

VPN over IKEv2 (native on iOS) ➠ it connects, but all iPv4 traffic is blocked

VPN over OpenVPN (third-party app) ➠ it works using iPv6 / iPv4 dual stack

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 87 of 99
Former Moderator FidoJulien
Former Moderator

Hey @mountainsofsnow

Have you rebooted your phone after you received the message that the issue was fixed?  If you did and are still having trouble, you should get in touch with the developer of the app to confirm if their app properly supports IPv6 only networks, as per Apple app standards published here: https://developer.apple.com/support/ipv6.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 88 of 99

{Update: January 12, 2018] I can confirm that after having opened a ticket and restarted my phone, VPN (IKEv2) now works. Horay!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 89 of 99
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1 momo111
I'm a Participant Level 1

I'm still having this issue with IOS 12.1.4 on my 8+, would love to be able to use my VPN again

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 90 of 99