Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got 345$ of extra chage on calling minute , last month's bill

dhkddn2663
I'm a participant level 1

I have 500 minutes of anytime call and unlimited on EW,

So it means I over about 700 minutes? I don't think that is possible and why there was no announcement before I over that much.

So the total amount I have to pay is $463.30, I paid $400 first if it was fido's mistake can I get my money back and solve this problem

4 REPLIES 4

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @dhkddn2663,

Welcome to the community! 

We know that overage charges are never pleasant, however, if the minutes were used then the charges would be valid and we can only make adjustments if ever there's a billing mistake. 

It's important to note that calls are billed by the minute and not by the second, so they get rounded up to the higher minute. We also send text message notifications when you reach 90% and 100% of the minutes included in your plan. You might not receive these text messages if:

-You are out of a service zone or your phone is not turned on for a period of 3 days.
-The Text messaging sending system for the Minute Tracker is not working at the time where you should receive a text message.

Also, the Minute Tracker does NOT work outside Fido’s network and will not calculate usage while roaming.

However, in an effort to allow our customers to be able to access their own usage at all times to keep track of it, we offer different tools through which you can check out your usage at any time:

- through your online account on fido.ca

- through My Account the app

- by calling *3337 from your Fido phone

If ever your plan doesn't suit your usage needs anymore, make sure to log into your online account to see what other plan offers are available for your account. If you'd like to discuss your account further, you can reach out to us here or we can send you a message on the community. 

Cheers!

Far123far

Same for me,  $223  overage charges for a limited call time. I have received overage usage for my internet and has been cut automatically (thanks)  but for passing the call limitation time I never received a text from fido. It happened to me last month and paid an extra $64 though. I am thinking to move to another provider

Meldar
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

There's no good valid reason for allowing a customer to go over their limits for minutes without any notification. Particularly if the amount is large. Every other provider I've had let's me know when I get close to using all the minutes. They do this to pocket more cash obviously.  I have had over $300 in overages on my daughter's phone. The first time I scolded her but then I realized it was here. There was 375 minute call late at night while she was sleeping and her cell phone was charging downstairs. And no notifications anywhere on any account by email or text stating she was over. A few minutes ok but $268 dollars extra on a $15 emergency phone plan is socially irresponsible to allow. Come on Fido. I heard good things about you but I can't even reach customer service to sort this out. I'll update if they do the right thing and fix it or if I will have to contact cats and then switch to another provider

Hello Meldar,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you daughter's phone plan incurred overage charges. I understand you feel a notification should have been provided prior to the excess usage However, it has always been the customers' responsibility to monitor their own usage and bills:

It is not necessary to cap voice or text messaging service charges since the use of these services is generally well understood and managed by consumers. ~ The Wireless Code; point 127

...it considers that a requirement to provide usage notifications or usage monitoring tools is not the best solution to prevent bill shock. ~ point 124

While Fido does not provide notifications for voice or messaging overage usage, they do provide a means of monitoring call usage (ie My Account app). 

I understand your daughter might not have been aware of that call that was made. However, it was made using her phone and her SIM card. You might consider verifying her phone does not have any malware or viruses on it. Even iPhones have been known to make random calls on their own (see here).

I also understand teens might not be fully aware of consequences of going over their limits. My nephews had pre-paid plans when they first got their phones and plans. The appeal of pre-paid plans is that overages are generally not possible. Funds need to be in the account before additional usage can be accessed.

I further understand this is a difficult time and receiving such a bill even more distressing. If you're unable to make full payment on the bill, you might consider arranging a payment schedule. To make an arrangement, you'll need to contact the credit operations team. It should be mentioned that a payment arrangement might not be available in all situations.

You should note this forum is community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you would like to further discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers