cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge data usage discrepancy

asdfdsfsd
I'm a participant level 2

I just checked the data usage in "my account" webpage, and it says that I've used 4.6GB/7GB.

However, when I checked the data usage in my Galaxy S10, it says that I've only used 2.5GB of data. I rely mostly on WiFi, so I am very inclined to believe what my phone reports.

I called customer support, but they told me that the only true number is the one on the Fido webpage.

Anyone else has had such a huge discrepancy? Any possible explanation?

4 REPLIES 4

asdfdsfsd

Hi @KAPABLE-K. Yes, the plan dates are correct, starting on the 1st of the month, as in my plan. 

It wouldn't have been weird to have seen 100-200MB of lost data, but I wasn't expecting to see 2.1GB... and there is one more week to go (sigh).

Maybe Samsung/Android phones are really bad at tracking data usage.

Hello @asdfdsfsd , welcome to the community. Sorry you have a discrepancy between the Fido website and your device reporting data usage. I'm wondering if you had data turned on by accident or selected data preferred instead of WiFi preferred.  Some apps also may be using data only when in use. If you stream music or podcasts outside of the home, you may be using data only. 

If your billing cycle is near the end, check your usage online compared to what your device reports to get a better idea of the accuracy.  Also,  I noticed that the Fido app is not playing nice with some people's account and that is being addressed by the developers. My data usage seems to be stuck right now, so I'll trust the developers to get it sorted out soon. You still may want to check your apps for the data usage though. Cheers OL

asdfdsfsd

Hi @Original_Lucy. Thanks for your answer.

I am relatively aware of when I've used mobile data. My question was more about the difference between what my cellphone reports vs what Fido tells me I've used. I've read about discrepancies because of mismatches between sent/received data, but those usually tend to be not too large. In my case, the discrepancy is almost twice as much as my Galaxy S10 says I've consumed. I just found that very weird.

Hello @asdfdsfsd,

You seem to understand how the data is transmitted and why most times your phone data is different from the carrier. I won't go indept into that and while the difference is a big difference it's not impossible for it to happen.

On your phone did you set the reset date to match your billing cycle? For example if your new billing cycle starts on the 20th of every month you need input that in your phone's data reset cycle settings.