Fido needs a way to block spam calls

I'm a Participant Level 2 Techguy666
I'm a Participant Level 2

Fido needs a way to block spam calls

I know some phones can “auto reject” calls but there should be a way to do this earlier in the process.  Since most legitimate calls have Caller Name ID, and spam calls only have number ID, can’t we have an option to just filter out all calls lacking Name ID?  That may filter out important private or emergency services for some people but many more Fido customers would probably benefit from this option.

Accepted Solution

Re: Fido needs a way to block spam calls

Hello Techguy666,

I understand receiving nuisance and SPAM calls can be frustrating.

@Techguy666 wrote:...Since most legitimate calls have Caller Name ID, and spam calls only have number ID, can’t we have an option to just filter out all calls lacking Name ID?

That statement is not necessarily true. Many, if not all, prepaid phone services do not provide Caller Name Display. Your suggested filter would block a significant portion of cellular phone users -- not just spammers using spoofed numbers.

@@Techguy666 wrote:...That may filter out important private or emergency services for some people but many more Fido customers would probably benefit from this option.

No provider will set in place a practice which will selectively and negatively affect a portion of customers for the benefit of other customers. That's discrimination.

Unfortunately, there is currently not much that can be done to prevent such nuisance calls. However, it's hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to certify and authenticate caller ID (see here and here).

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Former Moderator FidoJulien
Former Moderator

Hey @Techguy666

I can assure you our teams are doing everything they can to stop these calls.  I'll make sure to share your feedback with the team in charge though!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
MVP
MVP
Solution

Hello Techguy666,

I understand receiving nuisance and SPAM calls can be frustrating.

@Techguy666 wrote:...Since most legitimate calls have Caller Name ID, and spam calls only have number ID, can’t we have an option to just filter out all calls lacking Name ID?

That statement is not necessarily true. Many, if not all, prepaid phone services do not provide Caller Name Display. Your suggested filter would block a significant portion of cellular phone users -- not just spammers using spoofed numbers.

@@Techguy666 wrote:...That may filter out important private or emergency services for some people but many more Fido customers would probably benefit from this option.

No provider will set in place a practice which will selectively and negatively affect a portion of customers for the benefit of other customers. That's discrimination.

Unfortunately, there is currently not much that can be done to prevent such nuisance calls. However, it's hopeful to note that the CRTC is trying to implement measures to certify and authenticate caller ID (see here and here).

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 3 Dabmedia
I'm a Participant Level 3

I know I’m not alone, but I am really tired of spoof/spam calls from Chinese , same msg over and over multiple times a week. I reject calls but goes to voicemail, I only have small plan so only 3 voicemail allowed. It fills them up and doesn’t allow serious callers to leave msg. 

I have started to fill my voicemail myself and save every 3 days so when I reject the call they cannot leave a msg. 

Canada is way behind in this blocking technology. Are there any cell companies that do anonymous/ number blocking? 

I like Fido but I’m ready to switch so I don’t have to listen to theses calls that I cannot even understand. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5

Hey @Dabmedia,

I've moved your post to this thread as it already includes the answer to your question. Hope this helps Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5