cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido is just another name for Scam

GaganRandhawa
I'm a participant level 3

Just sharing my story how Fido scamed me. Initally it started with Fido offering me a deal of free local BC calling as I was with chatter, So considering Fido might be better then chatter so I joined Fido on $25 monthly plan. So after about a year I realised that I was paying $110/month. I called Fido and they told me that I upgraded my plan few months ago. Inquiring further they told me I ordered a phone to my Toronto address.

Considering I never called for upgrade and live in BC, Fido not only changed my plan but also changed my home address to Toronto. And after making 10's of calls and few emails to Fido  they said they will change my plan and refund my money, trust me it was a mission to get them to give me a refund. 

So they changed my plan back to my normal plan of free BC calling but no refund was given for next 6 months and I have to fight again for it and refund was given on my account that I can only use to pay Fido and I can't leave fido and just get the money that they owe me.

Now after I got my refund and fast forward few months March 2020 I got my monthly bill of $180 and fido saying I called a number in chilliwack BC and they consider it as long distance. The number I called is of my friend, he lives in same city as me and never been to chilliwack. 

So since Fido changed my plan to what ever last year they found another way to scam me, Now I was on call with Fido rep for 2 hours last saturday and was told they will call me back which they never did, so I am going to compain to CRTC and will update you on how it goes.

7 REPLIES 7

GaganRandhawa

Refund was given for issue from last year but now I am being charged for calling my friend who lives in same city as me and have phone number starting with 778 which is BC code and never been to chilliwack. And 778 is BC number and should be included in my initial plan.

The plan was changed last year because of scam and changed back to what ever plan they seemed fit.

so my concern is when I called fido to complain they switched me to right plan which I was eligible why was it not offered to me before I was charged with $180 with no warning text or reminder that I am being charged.

Since most of numbers in BC start with 778 how I am suppose to know its long distance even if it is long distance. No education or warning was given by Fido.

It is Scam going on by Fido and I am sure there must be more people scammed by this ponzy scheme.

Hello GaganRandhawa,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you received that unexpectedly high bill. I do not know the details of your plan. What do you mean by free local BC calling? As far as I am aware, Fido plans do not have Provincial calling. They usually offer local or Canada-wide calling.

There are a couple of things to note with regards to local versus long-distance calling. Firstly, it is the phone number called which determines whether a call is local or long distance (LD), not necessarily where that person might be located physically. For example, if you had a friend visiting you from Ottawa and you called their mobile phone, that would still be considered a long-distance call to Ottawa, even though your friend might be sitting beside you in Vancouver.

That's an exaggerated example for illustrative purposes, however, it's the same premise for area codes within the same Province. I understand both you and your friend have the same area code (778). However, the 778 area code is an overlay available to the entire Province of BC (see here). It would be the area code and prefix (first 6 digits) which would determine a phone number's locality (see here).

I also understand that your friend might never have visited Chilliwack, BC. However, they don't need to visit that area to obtain a phone number designated as from there. They were likely provided a list of available phone numbers to choose from when they signed up for their service.

It appears as though your plan has local calling determined by local calling areas (LCA). There are some additional important things to consider as well. It's helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number. It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you’re standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

If you would like to go over those LD calls, you might consider contacting customer service so they may go over your bill and plan details with you. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

GaganRandhawa

Thanks but you didn't helped at all. My concern is that you guys switched my original plan without my knowledge and no information was given to me about which BC number are covered or which not and why should I pay for your mistake when you let my identity to be stolen initially.

Anyway customer service was of no use as they told me they have started a case and will be calling back which they never did, so I will be escalating the issue with CRTC and will include this conversation as well along with case number from support.

And will email the details to all local radio channels as well so that I can expose fido so that you can't scam people more, especially in this time of emergency.

GaganRandhawa

And my friend lives just 15 minutes walk from me and he got the number from here, I was calling him from my house and not in roaming, how is his number long distance when he lives in surrey, same city as me and he got this plan from local dealer.

case ID : I 1480522143

Hey @GaganRandhawa,

We're definitely very saddened to know that's the impression you have. We assure you we operate with transparency when it comes to the services we provide you with and the associated charges.

We want to be able to take a further look and provide you with more assistance regarding whatpossibly happened on your account.

We've sent you a private message to be able to access your account and help. We'll be glad to continue with you there if you wish.

Thank you. 

GaganRandhawa

Thanks someone did left a voice message and confirmed they have made the required changes in billing, Hopefully no further issues happen in near future.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @GaganRandhawa

Welcome to the community Smiley

There seems to be a lot going on in this situation, and we certainly would not want to bill you for services you did not use.In regard to the plan change and extra monthly fees, was this resolved? You've mentioned that we switched you back to your old plan and refunded you the extra monthly fees, can you confirm? Also, are you currently using a Prepaid or a Postpaid (monthly) service?

As for the long distance calls billed. If you're a monthly subscriber, have you had the chance to go over your detailed invoice? You can download the PDF version (detailed version) online on Fido.ca, and review the charges on your end. This will help you confirm the number reached, it's area code, and if long distance charges apply based on that information.

With that said, I'll be sending you a PM shortly to go over the details with you.