cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido extra - Shaw Academy is bogus

Samshah
I'm a participant level 1

I recently started Shaw Academy as per Fido extra offer free one online course. This course is scheduled to 4 week. 2 week pass on and now it asks to register and pay money to continue. Shaw Academy supposed to offer one course completely free as per offer. 

Please do not use this free online course offer

28 REPLIES 28

darsprovider

BBB has 66 complaints.

anhtaiqb
I'm a participant level 2

Got scammed 40$ today, unauthentic payment. They automatically charged for some toolkits without any of my permission. 

This company is totally a scam. FIDO, please stop working with them!!!

Hey @anhtaiqb!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We want our Fido XTRA perks to be seamless for our customers so we are sad to read that you were charged.

Have you reached out to Shaw Academy to see what happened?

You can contact them by e-mail at : support@shawacademy.com

I hope that helps!

Markovka

Hey!did you pay for the tools?29.99$?

Cristou

I have also signed up for shaw academy for the free trial. That was a big mistake as they charged me even though I cancelled and there is no way to reach them. Fido should not encourage their customers to be scammed by this company. How do i get my money back? 

Hey @Cristou

Welcome to Fido's Community!

We're sad to learn your experience with Shaw Academy hasn't been a positive one. It's certainly not the kind of service we'd like you to experience. We assure you that our Fido XTRA perks are legitimate as @FidoNick mentioned!  

The free trial was offered for 4 weeks only. If the course was taken for a longer period, it would be charged. Did you take the course for that time period?

Since it was a third party offer, you would have to look into it with Shaw Academy. You can contact them via their website and deposit a query.

FidoRachel
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I can assure you we take the feedback very seriously @sd8c, everything discussed here was shared internally. 

Regarding the method of payment, these courses will not be billed on your Fido account. 

ivinissac

Hi Fido it is a scam!! At least someone from your marketing team should try the shawacadamy for a minute before offering to customers. Once you give all the information on their site there is no going back, you can't even delete the account nor the option to cancel it. There are no "contact us" option what you can do is delete the details and rename it with any junk so that they wont send reminder once you are up 4 weeks

Hey @ivinissac! Welcome to the community. Smiley

I'm saddened to read that you had a poor experience with them. Have you tried to contact them here regarding your concerns?

Let us know.

petermahoney

Shaw Academy is a serious scam. They offer these "free" four-week courses and even if you get through to them and cancel (you have to go through serious hoops to actually call someone to cancel, FYI), they still try to charge you. I managed to get through once to cancel (the day after I signed up, as I realised I didn't have time to do some random course), and when they attempted to charge me a month later, I couldn't get through on multiple attempts. Apparently this is just how they conduct their business.

Fido, maybe vet your business partners a little harder?

natsky

Hi,

To be Fair with Fido, This is not a bogus Fido Xtra. I attended the course and finished it in 4 wks without paying anything. Only if you wish to upgrade thats the time they gonna charge you for continuing to a more adavanced topic of the course.

FidoPhilippe

Hey @Samshah and @hope3!

Welcome to the community!

I can certainly understand your frustration with that. Let me ask you both this:

Have you tried to contact Shaw Academy about this directly?

If not, you can send them an email at this address

Let us know.

Dufferat

Mr. Moderator:

Is it not your responsibility (FIDO) to provide legitimate FREE offers that are not treated as scams? Why should any customer that signs up for the offer you advertise as free and then have to deal with that provider to make things right?!

You should be protecting your customers to ensure all is legitimate!

Hey @Dufferat!

We assure you that all the offers we provide via Fido XTRA weekly are legitimate and we always want our customers to have the best experience possible at all times.

The current offer provides you with a free 4-week course and if you're experiencing any trouble with the course you do have to reach out to Shaw Academy directly at support@shawacademy.com

Can you maybe give us some more details though? What exactly is going on with the offer? 

Dakchyld

I actually paid for the lifetime courses and there definitely bogus they have not replied to any of my emails or calls I left and sent for support. 

Hey @Samshah and @hope3!

Do you have any updates for us?

Was your issue resolved?

rchavoshi

Hi Fido, 

This company is a complete scam. I cancelled my free one month membership by the date I was given by the company to cancel and not get charged, and the following day they charged me! 

I tried calling them at their American office, there is no option to speak to someone, the only option is to email them. I emailed them twice and only heard back today saying that I was wrong and that my trial ended before the date I was given. I have proof of the trial end date in an email. They also charged me an extra 10 dollars on top of what a premium membership costs. 

Their app also does not work nor does their actual website for the so called "Live Classes" which are prerecorded and out of date. I tried emailing them to fix the glitch and no response. 

If you look up this company online, you will find hundreds of people saying they got ripped off as well. I cannot believe that FIDO didn't have the foresight to look into this farce of a company before promoting it. Someone has to be held accountable for this joke of a promotion which has resulted in people getting ripped off. 

I also tried contacting FIDO on Friday, October 8th and asked a manager to call me back. No response. 

Hey @rchavoshi!

That's not the experience we want from our customers when they benefit form Fido XTRA offers! These are third party offers though and it does have to be handled via the merchant.

You mentioned having a screenshot of the date in your e-mail. Did you try mentioning that to them?

On our end I'll also send you a PM in order to look into your account and pass along your feedback as we're always looking to improve FidoXTRA!

FahimYP

It's a week or so I am struggling with this ShawAcademy to unsubscribe! I was wondering how I did trust them, and now I remembered that they are in Fido Extra! Thanks Fido, for helping bogus business to steal your customers' money! I suggest Fido marketing tell his customers like this:
Do you want to subscribe to a service that you NEVER can get rid of it? You think you have unsubscribed, but you only find you are wrong when you see your credit card charged! You need to call them?! They are pleased to route you to an endless maze of answering machine messages, which are deliberately designed to force you to give up the call. Welcome to ShawAcademy!

I am SO frustrated of you Fido! 

Hey there @FahimYP

I definitely understand how this can be frustrating. I was wondering if you had emailed them, you can contact them at support@shawacademy.com.

Let us know!