cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Soaks Customers on Data Overage Charges

jfklein
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Data usage is extremely expensive in the Canadian market, especially when going over a plan data limit and incurring overage charges. It is also difficult, maybe impossible (at least on iPhones), to prevent this from happening, short of shutting off data usage completely.

So the question is: Why does Fido not provide the ability to cut-off data usage when the monthly data allowance on a post-paid plan is reached?

The answer: They want to soak their customers with exorbitant charges for exceeding their data limit.

Why do I say this? Because there is no other logical explanation.

Here are a few points to consider:

Is there a technical issue with providing a data cut-off? No. On pre-paid plans, data usage is automatically cut-off when the data amount purchased is exceeded. The only difference to Fido, that I can see, is that with a pre-paid plan they don’t have the ability to stick the customer with an extra bill.

One excuse given to me by Fido customer support is that they don’t provide a data cut-off because a customer might be in a critical situation where a data connection is needed. Horse dung!! A customer would handle these situations the same way as with a pre-paid plan - if data is cut off, he would simply call in to Fido and authorize additional data usage.

Customer support says, 'Well, we send you warning messages notifying you that you are near your data limit.' I my experience, this only happens sometimes. Is this warning system unreliable by design? I would say yes.

Other cell phone companies provide data cut-offs. Why not Fido? My opinion: they will only implement it when they realize they are losing customers and have squeezed every last penny out of this business model. Short sighted policy though. Customers can have long memories. I do. And when a company repeatedly hits me in the wallet, I remember for a long, long time.

I guess I could simply switch to a different provider. The Canadian market has a severe lack of competition so finding a good plan at a reasonable price is near impossible. But nonetheless, if I can’t find a way of once and for all stopping data overage charges with Fido, **bleep** right I am going dump them like a bad habit, and move on to a provider that doesn’t RIP ME OFF!!

***Edited to add Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

AdamBeast
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Hi jfklein, 

I know it is not easy for iPhone users to cuf-off data automaticly, although I would like suggest you try some app like this, this and this. It is convenient and easy to use.  

Also, to avoid accidental usage, your can turn off "Wifi assist" from Setting-> Cellular, and you can turn off data usage per app here as well. You may save lots of data usage by turning off cellular for apps like youtube, droppbox, etc. 

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

You have all the tools required to monitor your data usage - web site, app, and I think there's an SMS or and automated phone service you can call. Android has a built-in, optional cut-off. Aren't you going to blame Apple as well for not including this basic functionality?

Looks like you're blaming the wrong party...

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

@zyx wrote:

Looks like you're blaming the wrong party...

(Just to be clear, I'm not saying Apple is to blame here.)

On a post paid account Fido will stop the data if the overage goes to $50 I was told. I have to agree with @jfklein if my plan gives me 2GB a month Fido should not allow me to go over. I do not need to set my phone to stop it or have to keep checking Fido app to see if I will be going over.

What I think would be a better soloution is if my plan gives me 2GB and I use it up Fido should send me a text or something saying I reached my limit and if I want to purchase more data I can do so with a link to authorise the purchase of more data.

howardsiu
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Fido do send you a text when you are near your Data limit. At least I do.

zetas
I'm a participant level 2

And I suppose you believe blindly what the counting for data method Fido gave you?...you better check again that...hope you do have that app in your phone.

regards

@zetas wrote:

And I suppose you believe blindly what the counting for data method Fido gave you?...you better check again that...hope you do have that app in your phone.

regards

Hello Zetas,

Welcome to the forums!

I trust what usage both my phone and Fido tell me since there is only ever a 2-5 Mb difference between the values.

You seem concerned that the data usage on your phone is not corresponding with Fido's record of your data usage. Have you verified you've entered the correct billing cycle information? If the app you're referring to is the My Account app, are you aware that there is a slight delay before it updates usage?

Cheers

JasonParker
I'm a contributor level 1
Well, dear Fido please answer this.
If you are able to stop data usage at $50, why don't you give us customers an option to stop it at $5 or $10?
Why your SMS notifications are delayed by 12-24 hrs, when the data overage already occurred?

The fact you don't is indicative of your true intentions- bleed customers up to the maximum allowable by CRTC.

Hey JasonParker!

Don't forget that you have the option to block your phone's data access at anytime by turning off data under your phone's network settings. 

Hope this helps!

JasonParker
​Everybody knows the truth - Fido (and all the ​other ​big mobile companies) is ripping us all ​off ​for a maximum profit - they are not much different from the big banks.
Bottom line is: when it comes to mobile data, it’s all about what you’re prepared to pay!

Fido can easily rectify the data overage ​issue, I can think of few easy solutions:
- don't allow the customer to go over the monthly data limit without ​customer's ​explicit authorization
- charge​ customer a​ reasonable amount for ​a ​data overage, ie.: $5 for ​each extra ​1GB - NOT as currently: $70 or even $100 for ​1​ GB!!! In Australia, overage is $10/GB.

I can think of few more, but we all know that this is not a technical problem, it is Fido's intentional business practice, to squeeze the customer​​ to a maximum they can get away with!

And don't listen to Fido's 'explanantion' of how expensive it is to provide mobile data: just check out Fido's annual profit, FIDO made over 1 Billion dollars last year!!

In Canada we have the most expensive data in the world (exept Japan I believe)!
Just look at the prices in USA or Europe - why data plans ​there are so much cheaper​?
In US, AT&T has unlimited everything plan, incl. data for $80-$90, $45 for 2nd line, 2 years ago it was even less...
Even in Canada there are few provinces, where the prices are ​half of what we pay here in Ontario...

FYI: In 2013-2015 I used to work in Finland, over there I was paying $12 or 13 per month for 10 GB.
I knew some people who were a long time mobile customers, they had unlimited data for around $10 a month. And it was with the largest mobile provider in Finland, not some small competitor!

BTW, Wired magazine calculated the real cost of data, check it out, it is an eye opening article:

I just wish alcohol were less expensive Sad

Hey jfklein!

Think about this: what if you reached your limit of data after 2-3 weeks? You still need data to complete your month right? Some would stop using it, but most won't...

Would you prefer having to contact us every time you reach your limit to re-enable the data? 

If you go over your limit every month, that's an addition call to us every month. I'm sure you would be frustrated by that procedure, as it's time-consuming!

Instead, we prefer giving you all the tools to take your own decision.

You can track your data usage, think about it as a speedometer. You have to look at it in order to avoid a nasty surprise, sounds fair?

Our service is no different from that, we give you access to all the data that you want (we apply a cap of 50$, just in case you didn't checked your speedometer;)).

We provide the tools and the over usage rate. You're all set to stay within limits. 

I've never been surprised by a data over usage bill. Simply because I look at my usage every week. If I'm close to my limit, I take the decision to go over, knowing the rate I'll pay.

Do you know how to track your data? Do you know your data over usage rate?

zetas

All this conversationm is completely out of context,since Fido is here to make money and squezze the customers pocket...how come the data information on the Smartphone does not go with the Fido system control??...do you think we can not monitor ourselves?...sorry but looks like the Fido measurements are designed to work one way,and nothing else!...we all know that...let the Chinese companies compete in Canada and we will see a lot of this policies going down overnight...

Hello,

According to the CRTC Wireless code, post-paid customers have the right to limit their data overage charges to $50 a month and their data roaming charges to $100 a month. Therefore, you should receive a text once you reach either of those limits stating you have reached said limit. You should also get the option to accept additional charges for further usage.

That said, it is incumbent on the consumer to monitor their usage, including data usage. With great power (read smartphones) comes great responsibility. **edit** There are many threads on here (and the internet) regarding data usage management. To start you off, I will refer you here.

Cheers