cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Roam Charges when Roaming Data is OFF!

hk13456
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi guys,

I am another victim of these Fido Roam Charges while I was in Mexico from Jan 10 to Jan 18. I was conscious about turning off my Cellular Data as well as ensuring the Roaming Data is also off on my phone prior to boarding the flight to Mexico.

When I return and saw the Fido bill, I was surprised by these roaming charges. So I start googling and calling up Fido customer support.

From googling, I found out that this is a very common issue for iPhone users where there are still "leakage" of data usage when the phone has Cellular Data turned off.

The data usage was as follows (the 5M data usage on Jan 10 was prior to boarding the flight):

hk13456_0-1581472038093.png

And I was charged with the following:

hk13456_1-1581472134501.png

So I called customer support and tried to dispute these charges but end up unsuccessful.

My argument is as follows:
1. My Cellular Data as well as Roaming Data was switched off.
2. From the small data usage, it prove that I have no intention to use data at all during my trip and these are somehow glitches in the phone or system that I am not aware about.
3. I have not consented that I wish to use Fido Roam or activate Fido Roam
4. I was not informed that I have activated Fido Roam for each of the days I was charged

Below is their argument saying the charges are valid:
1. There was roaming data usage, it doesn't matter how much so I was charged for the full day
2. They have sent a text message explaining the charges and that Fido Roam was available if I were to use
3. I should have switch on airplane mode or pull out my sim card instead of just turning off cellular data and roaming data

The best they could do is to refund one day worth of charges ($12) and offer me extra data and free long distance call in the next cycle.

I just find this to be ridiculous how they can charge a full day for a 15kb usage (Jan 14th). Also by them sending you a text saying Fido Roam is available you automatically opted-in on the service and they can charge you the moment they detect any usage. They don't even tell you Fido Roam is activated for the full day.

After calling them and speaking to multiple reps with the same result, I now decided to switch to a different carrier and I will be filing a complaint to the Business Bureau and CRTC.

85 REPLIES 85

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @hk13456 , 

Thanks for sharing your experience with us! That's not what we want for you, I assure you. Unexpected bills are never fun, especially when coming back from a trip.

If you don't want to use Fido Roam, you can unenroll by contacting customer service. If you do, you'll be charged pay-per-use for any usage.

If you don't want to incur any charges, you can always remove your SIM card from your phone and store it somewhere safe. While turning off data roaming normally does the trick, removing your sim from your device is a safer bet.

That being said, you can reach out to us using these methods and we'll be happy to review the situation with you.

hk13456

Thanks for sharing your experience with us, that's not what we want for you I assure you.. Unexpected bills are never fun, specially when coming back from a trip!

Then why do Fido charge a full day when only 15kb of data was used?  And then refuse to reverse the charges after understanding they were unexpected?

If you don't want to use Fido Roam, you can unenroll by contacting customer service, in that case you'll be charged pay per use if there's any usage.

If you don't want to incur any charges, you can always remove your SIM card from your phone and store it somewhere safe. While turning off data roaming normally does the trick, removing your sim from your device is a safer bet.

I thank you for the advice.  If I were to know this earlier, this would not have happened.  So, how about reversing those charges on my bill and I will take your advice to prevent this from happening in the future.  I don't think it is fair to expect customers to know this ahead of time.