Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIDO overcharging during CORONA Virus emergency without notifications

rajdeep0808
I'm a participant level 2

Hello,

I recently signed up with Fido. I am an international student. I have an add-on pack for 1000 international minutes, which I use for international calling to check on my parents during CORONA outbreak under the impression I would not be able to call once I used my capped minutes. However FIDO neever gave me any warnings when that cap was reached.

I was really shocked to see long distance overcharges of $ 700 last month. Usually, warning messages are sent whenever we cross the data limit. So, I was under the impression that I would be notified if I cross international calling limit. I did not receive single warning message. Finally, I received a bill through a link stating 'overcharged payment' once after the billing cycle is completed. The link could not be opened as well!

I reached the customer care many times, but they keep telling that they cannot do away with the charges. Further I tried exlaining reasoning that because of CORONA virus epidemic I was nervous always checking on famil and their response was 'WE DON'T CARE"

I hope whoever reading this can understand my situation. Nobody would like to pay $700 long distance overcharges in a monthly phone bill. As I was not assisted with the overcharge issue through customer care, I am posting my concern in the forum, hoping some one could help me out of this. 

How they can they expect syudents to pay charges as $700 ?

If this is not solved, I will be posting the bill to social media and compaining to Consumer Protection of these hidden overcharges.

5 REPLIES 5

sam97thukral
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Bro for u its just 700$. I was charged with a bill of 5349$ can u imagine that. I was charged with international access usage on callng. At this covid situation i was jobless and alone so i contacted my family and friends back to my home counry and this bill was really shocking for me. I am a student and have to bear my all expenses on my own. My only point is why am i not notified about my excess usage on call just like by my data usage. No mails and messages from  your side. If i was on access usage you guys can block my international calling but no one bothered to do that and as per terms and condition i am the only one to bear all thoses expenses. I am ready to pay the amount but seriously i can not take this much burden on my own as paying 5000$ as just of bill. It is very depressing for me. I need someone to help me with the situation as no one is ready to solve this matter.

Hey @sam97thukral

I can understand how it can be surprising to receive a bill that is so much higher than expected. Have you had a chance to reach out to our customer support teams to review the billing details in question? You can reach out through one of the options found here

We can also send you a PM here. Let us know which you'd prefer! 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @rajdeep0808,

Welcome to the community!

Getting unexpected charges is never good, while Fido does provide notifications on data usage they don't send notifications to users with the 1000 free minutes it's our responsibility to keep track of the usage.

If you did use more than the 1000min allotted to you and were charge for the overage the charges are valid and Fido did not overcharge you.

With the current situation in the world feelings and emotions are running wild but we still need to be responsible and do our part.

If you are unable to make the payment in full it's okay Fido will work with you to get through this, just reach out to the Credit Operations department by dialing *732 on your Fido mobile and let them know what is happening and they can work out a payment plan with you.

rajdeep0808

It's also don't work for student and moreover in current scenario nobody can afford to pay this much bill uh guyes don't make more then 2 payments. Everthing is lockdown I don't have job nd running out of money but Uh guyes are not ready to listen anything. I had requested many time please lower down my bill I'm penny less right now but you guyes don't corporate with Your client.I had said to your service man that stores are closed and I don't hve card to make online payment and I got reply I can't do anything and ended live chat . Which I find very rude that you guyes don't even understand it on humanitarian grounds. I just don't find it right nd genuine approach.****** 

Hey @rajdeep0808! I hope you're staying healthy. Smiley

I can certainly understand you concerns. No one likes to receive higher bills than they're expecting and certainly not in these challenging times.

That said, we are providing relief in the form of ensuring that services will not be suspended or disconnected for anyone experiencing financial difficulties until June 14, 2020. In addition, we're supporting our customers with more flexible payment arrangement options.

You can also check out everything else we're doing to help during these difficult times here .

As for the amount itself, I see that you're already chatting with us via Twitter, so I just suggest you continue there to see what else we can do for you.

Stay safe!