cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIDO EMAIL TO TEXT SERVICE

vinkle123
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am using the Fido Email-To-Text service to receive temperature alarms notifications.

Currently, whenever there is an alarm, I will get a SMS that reads "You have mail from <email address>. Please reply with 'Read' to read your message. 

Is there a way for the message to display automatically without me replying read?

Also, is there a way to group these SMS into one singular SMS chat? right now they are sent individually as follow:

3050500-1 , 3050500-2, 3050500-3, 3050500-x

Thank you very much!

4 REPLIES 4

Private
I'm a participant level 3

Fido and Rogers email-to-SMS service is no longer available as of June 2023.  Email-to-text functionality was shut down for both Fido and Rogers customers without any warning. A call to customer service confirmed that.

Emails sent to YOURNUMBER@fido.ca bounce back as undelivered. The response from the server was:

421 Closing Transmission channel

The recipient server did not accept requests to connect.
rr-mail.fido.page.ca. 70.33.243.157: timed out

rr-mail.fido.page.ca. 70.33.243.156: timed out

PissedOffAppUse

We used to have a feature where the "read" reply was not necessary - I believe that it was called something like "direct email to text" or something like that.

At some point when we changed our plan, it disappeared and was replaced with the need to reply "read" to get the actual message. I have tried several times to get this restored and each time the customer service rep has assured me that it was restored, but it turns out each time it was not.

The recent severe storms that went through sothern Ontario brought this issue to attention when our home alarm system, which is configured to send urgent messages as an email to get to my phones as a text, sent messages while I was in the car driving. The hands free feature in my car can read messages received, but I cannot send the reply "read" to get the actual message with the actual details that were rather important.

Furthermore, I am about to travel outside the country, and while I will use the roaming feature, I will not be constantly having this on (usually on for 24 hours, and off for 12 hours in order to save a few days' cost). Should an alarm message come in when the roaming is in an off period, I won't be able to reply without starting a new 24 hour fee period.

This need to reply with 'read' is just plain BS. Why would I not want to read an incoming message?!?

Is there a new name for the direct-to-sms service that will be understood by a customer service rep?

Hello,

As far as I am aware, the feature you note (Email-to-Text) appears to be an add-on function (see here and here). It's possible the add-on was removed when you changed your plan. I understand the feature might not be listed on the website. However, there are some add-on offerings not listed (see here). You would need to contact customer service in order to add it.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoPhilippe

Hey @vinkle123! Philippe here. Welcome to the community. Smiley

To answer your question, replying with ''READ'' is the only way to view the message, as this is the way it's setup. As for the the way they're grouped, I suspect that it's for the same reason, as it may have to do with them being seperate messages, despite being from the same number.

Do you have the options to group them on your phone?