cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling VoLTE on compatible phone not purchased via Fido

dangga00
I'm a participant level 3

I am aware there have been discussions about people having difficulties getting VoLTE (Voice over LTE) provisioned on Fido network when using a non-Fido phone, even if the phone is listed by Fido as "compatible."

My experience: 

• I did a HUP through Fido (Oct 2020)
  • After the HUP, I still continue to use my old phone (non Fido Samsung Galaxy S9 phone) because my SO is using the new phone from Fido with a different carrier 
  • Right after HUP, suddenly my non Fido phone was provisioned to use VoLTE on Fido's network (I had tried and tried contacting Support previously to enable VoLTE and got no useful response) 
  • Two weeks after, it got deprovisioned and can no longer use VoLTE on Fido's network

I contacted Support multiple times, and the last agent suggested: 

because the phone is not a Fido device, for VoLTE to be provisioned phone software needs to be updated. This will cause a factory reset so cx should backup device using the instructions. To back up you can use this link: https://www.samsung.com/ca/support/mobile-devices/samsung-galaxy-smartphone-how-to-back-up-your-devi....

I haven't tried it yet, and I want to ask you guys if any of you have had experience with this (I don't want to go through the process only to find out this is just a scripted answer that will not work, e.g. because Fido blacklists IMEI of non Fido devices).

Thank you in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @dangga00,

Thank you for providing the model number, you do have a Canadian version of the S9 so it should work. 

The only thing I could think is happening is it is branded for Koodo luckily all Canadian Samsung phones are the same and you just need to change the CSC to Fido and hopefully that should do the trick for you.

You can follow this guide here.

Edit: The S9 I have was originally from the Rogers side but I usually reflash all my Samsung phones with the none branded version of the firmware.

dangga00

@KAPABLE-K thanks for this, I'm glad to hear that this has worked for you (helpful guide, BTW) - I'll be sure to try.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @dangga00,

Where did you get the S9 from?

Fido did not support VoLTE and WiFi calling on non-Fido phones but later allowed VoLTE support on compatible non-Fido phones.

I've personally used a non-Fido S9 on my account for over a year and VoLTE and WiFi calling worked just fine.

Can you tell me the exact model of your S9?

dangga00

I got the S9 from Koodo: SM-G960W

Did you have to do a factory reset before being able to access VoLTE on Fido network with your non Fido S9?

Thanks in advance @KAPABLE-K