Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documents required for Phone purchase

adolfmedina97
I'm a participant level 2

Hello Fido Community!

I'm looking for some help! For a long while now, i've been trying to purcahse a new phone on Fido with the 2 year contract. I tried to purchase the IPhone XR around a month ago, but I couldn't buy it because they've asked me to show them a "proof" document that stated that I was going to be in Canada for the next 2 years, I did not brought any of that since I did not have prior knowledge of that. My question is, what documents exactly are the ones needed for doing that?, I live in Quebec! Do the company needs Federal/provincial documents, university acceptance cards, study/work permits, etc, or what specifically? 

Hoping for a quick response!

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7

FidoValeska
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @adolfmedina97

That's a great question Smiley 

For a new monthly activation with an agreement, we would need two of the following pieces of ID: 

- Drivers Licence 

- Social insurance number 

- Passport 

- Credit Card

- Banking information (bank, transit and account number). 

If you don’t have a Driver's Licence, we also accept one of the following: 

- Provincial ID
- Age of majority card
- Passport
- Citizenship card
- Native status
- Senior Citizens card
- Armed Forces ID
- University student ID
- Company ID

I hope this answers your question! 

Narinder45
I'm a participant level 1

I want to buy new phone with 2 year contract but my study permit end in may, 2025. Can I still buy the phone with contract. 

Hello @Narinder45 

To assist you wtih your activation, it will be important to contact us or to visit a store. From there, we can verify your options.

You can find the ways to contact our team here.

You can also find a store close to you using our locator here.

ssrafeed

You can use driving license or provincial card if you have one instead of your study permit

adolfmedina97

It does answer it! Thank you so much for your help, I apprecaite it!

TheHobbit

I was curious as to what kind of identification it required to get an account put in my name... let me elaborate. I have been using a phone with the account in my father's name for five years or so and have now been paying it myself for almost three years. 

I only ask because I am in process of obtaining Photo ID, as I do not have any at the moment.

Hello @TheHobbit and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to this thread since it's related to the same topic.

The documents required are listed in @FidoValeska 's solution above where it says **For a new monthly activation with an agreement**

This works as well for the activation of a brand new account on your name at one of our stores.

Hope this helps.