Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emergency calls only

Compassion
I'm a participant level 2

Bonjour,

I have a LG phone & since this morning (Tuesday, 17 nov.), I cannot call any number, either from a number on paper or that is already in my phone.

Why?

What do I need to do?

Help this is the only phone I have, since I got rid of my home phone last year!

Thanx

Johanne G.

7 REPLIES 7

RV20
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have been facing the "Emergency Calls Only" trouble since yesterday (9th March 2023). I have tried everything suggested on this forum - rebooting the android phone, re-inserted the sim card, reset the settings of phone, while trying to select the service provider Fido manually - I couldn't find the Fido network - all I could see Bell, Telus and Rogers, I live in Whitehorse and don't have a Fido store here. Help!!

Hello RV20,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're receiving the Emergency Calls Only message. Are you visiting Whitehorse or do you live there? I understand you noted that you can see the Rogers network, however, as far as I am aware, Rogers does not have any cellular towers in the area:

Whitehorse.jpg

~taken from here.

That said, if you are able to see the Rogers network on your device, Fido and Rogers share their networks.

Depending on your area in the Whitehorse, there may be cellular towers from other providers to which your phone may connect. Using a different network within Canada is extended coverage (Fido-EXT). With the roaming agreements, there is no charge for using extended coverage. However, its usage is only meant to be on a temporary basis so there are some limitations to its usage (ie majority of your usage still needs to be your home network, 5 Extra Hours of data not available, etc). If you live in Whitehorse, you might need to switch to the provider with the cellular towers in the area. As far as I am aware, having more than 50% of usage in extended coverage for 4 months in a row will likely result in the service being suspended (see here). Is it possible the reason you are receiving the Emergency Calls Only message is because your access to extended coverage has been blocked?

What plan type do you have? You should note that some plans (ie Basic plan) do not allow for roaming and therefore would not be eligible for extended coverage. If you are able to use your device for those services, enabling roaming data should enable your phone to use data while using the extended network. As long as your device connects to Canadian cellular towers, there would not be any additional fees.

You should note that the forums are community-driven and not intended as a venue for customer services. If you wanted to further discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Compassion

Bonjour, Thanx.... it worked... I either had not closed it properly when I needed to power up the batteries or maybe when I opened it in the morning, I did not press the button all the way in to ensure that it was fully opened.  Now I know what to do & how to fix it... hopefully I will remember, if not, I appreciate the Community!

Hey @Compassion! Philippe here.

Thanks for sharing! We're thrilled we could help. Smiley

FidoAnthonyZ

Hello @Compassion,

Welcome to the community! 

What have you tried up until now to resolve your issue?

It could be as simple as a quick phone reboot (turning the phone off and back on).

Let us know. 

srinif1do

My Son's phone Samsung Galaxy A71 bought from Fido in Jun 2020, showing "emergency calls only" since 2 weeks.  On restart it is good for sometime and then again startes showing "emargency calls only".  He had the same issue with his earlier phone.  thinking it might be a phone problem, we bought a new phone from Fido Jun2020.  Even that is showing same problem since 2 weeks.

Hello @srinif1do,

We answered your other post.