Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Countries for the 1000 minutes of international long distance

Emvipi
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi.

I've been told by the shop assistant that there are 11 countries on the list included in the 1000 minutes. 

Can I please see that list?

Thanks in advance!

29 REPLIES 29

yogs
I'm a participant level 3

yeah, I got it as an add-on but in the promotion. I didn't know they were two separate things. Thanks.

Hello Raman327,

Welcome to the community!

As far as I am aware, those are still the included Countries for the 1000 International minutes. It should be noted that the 1000 International minutes is generally a promotional offer and not available as a typical add-on. However, Fido does offer a 1500 Minutes to select Countries add-on which includes fewer included Countries (see here, under Calling).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

yogs

I got 1000 mins international long-distance add-ons. What I understand is as long as I stay within 1000 mins to call the above 10 countries. There won't be any additional per-minute charge. Is this correct?

Also under this add-on to call the above countries, is it just dialling the country code followed by the destination number on the keypad or do I need to use any app?

Hello Yogs,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, it should be noted that 1000 International Minute is a promotional offer. As with most promotions, it would likely have an end-date attached. If the duration of the promotion was not evident when you got your plan, you would be notified of its end-date on your bill a few months before that date.

It should also be noted that all calls using mobile services incur Airtime charges plus long-distance charges, if applicable. Those 1000 International minutes are only for the long-distance portion of calls. That is, airtime charges would still apply. If you have a plan with a limited number of airtime calling minutes, excess airtime usage would incur additional costs -- even though there may be available International minutes remaining. For example, if you had a plan with 500 Canada-wide minutes (airtime minutes), making 600 minutes of calls to Countries included in those 1000 International minutes would require an excess usage of 100 airtime minutes.

On the other hand, if your plan includes unlimited Canada-wide calling, then there would be no issue regarding excess airtime minutes.

With regards to making long-distance calls, there is no Fido calling app. Calls would be made using your phone's regular dialler. In order to make International calls, you would first need to dial the Country exit code to get an International line. For Canada and the US, that code is 011. That code would be followed by the destination's Country Code followed by the area code and phone number. For example, a call to Ireland (not included in 1000 International minute promotion) would look like 011 + 353 + area code + phone number (see here).

Since Countries might have different exit codes, it can be replace with the plus symbol '+' (see here). With the previous example, it would look like + 353 + area code + phone number. I tend to use this format for storing contacts in my phone. It saves having to look up and remember Country exit codes when travelling. Note that making calls from outside of Canada is considered roaming and would incur additional charges.

It would be the same format for dialling the Countries included in that promotion.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

yogs

It did, thank you very much for the reply.

wyllie
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

For the purpose of the free 1,000 minutes for long distance calling, are each of the following included as part of the United Kingdom? In other words, could my 1,000 minutes for free long distance dialing be used to call any or all of the following locations? 

1) Orkney and Shetland (islands that are separate from the mainland, but part of Scotland)

2) Isle of Man

3) Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey)

Please advise, thank you!

Hey @wyllie

In this case these all seem to share the same country code for the dialing pattern. This would mean they're covered under the U.K for the calls made from our service. 

I hope this helps clarify things. 🙂

Hello FidoNick,

Thank you for the clarification! 😀

I guess Macau would be the eleventh destination as it is an autonomous region.

Cheers!

Hello again,

No problem 😀

Perhaps @FidoSolutions could verify whether an 11th Country has been added to that list?

Cheers