cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chinese department?

waco
I'm back
I'm back

Do you really have a Fido Chinese department? Because I got a call everyday telling this is a Fido Chinese voice message and then it goes a lady Chinese speaking that I don't understand any word

10 REPLIES 10

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Waco,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does have Chinese speaking customer service representatives. However, those calls are not from Fido. They are from spammers/scammers trying to target Fido's Chinese immigrant customer base. I understand many people who do not speak or understand the language are also receiving the calls. It's easier for the spammers/scammers to simply call all of Fido's phone numbers rather than to determine which phone numbers belong to Chinese customers. In fact, it appears that they aren't even bothering to only target Fido customers anymore. Some people from other providers have also received similar messages.

Unfortunately, since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, there isn't much that can be done to prevent the nuisance calls. While Universal Call Block has been implemented, that system only blocks calls from malformed phone numbers. Hopefully, the new protocol STIR/SHAKEN will help prevent nuisance calls from spoofed numbers. However, that system is not yet fully implemented.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

martop9
I'm a participant level 2

Well it is August and apparently the new protocol still isn't implemented. You need to try harder Fido - and if you can't be bothered or don't know how to stop them, then dramatically increase the voicemailbox limitation, because my voicemail keeps filling up with spam. 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @martop9

You can increase your voicemail capacity by adding our Value Pack for the enhanced voicemail.

A a side note, you can find more info on the current solutions being implemented in Canada, and mentioned by @Cawtauhere, and here.

martop9

In other words, Fido is well aware that their attempts to stop voicemail spam are inadequate, and their solution is that their customers pay more? That's a great way to loose customers. 

Thanks for your feedback! 

JaneStew
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I keep getting Chinese Voice Messages on my FIDO number, today was the FIRST time that there was a "missed" call associated with one of those calls!  Chinese first then a brief statement in English that said "this is a notice from FIDO's Chinese Billing Department - the phone number associated with this scam was 250-591-9465.  I called it and of course it's NOT IN SERVICE!  I blocked it.  If FIDO is unable to stop SCAM calls perhaps I should investigate other providers?

Hey @JaneStew Smiley

I'm sorry to learn that you're being bothered by these calls! 

Unfortunately, this isn't an issue unique to Fido. It's also quite difficult to filter spam calls recently, being that they usually use caller ID spoofing to mask their numbers and use local numbers instead.

You can however find tips to protect yourself against fraudulent calls and how to report them here.

Hope this helps!

Raevin1
I'm a participant level 1

Fido really has to do something now !!!!!

I am now getting SPAM Calls as "Fido Customer Service".

So Fido, someone is spoofing your smart CallerID.

# is 886-888-3436

I use a call blocker, but I still get VM.

VM is a woman speaking Mandarin.

I have no idea what she is saying, but Fido, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER and BLOCK THIS!

#thisisahugepainintheass

Hey @Raevin1,

We understand those calls are very irritating and we're doing as much as we can to stop them. 

I've moved your post here as you'll be able to find more information on this thread.

Stewartxu

Most of these calls are from Taiwan or from Taiwanese. They targeted new Chinese immigrants with their accented mandarin which is easy to distinguish. As a Chinese Canadian, I was surpised by their imagination: Fido, Bell, UPS, DHL, or even Chinese Gonsulate General.... while indians only stick to "Revenue Canada"...