cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can WiFi calling be used with a non Fido device?

Itsmemairaj
I'm a participant level 3

I am a former Fido customer and now with freedom. I was given a good deal by a Fido loyalty rep but I want to clarify if Fido WiFi calling can be used with a non-Fido device? I tried it earlier with a Fido network but it didn't let me register on the network. 

8 REPLIES 8

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Itsmemairaj,

Fido recently allowed the WiFi calling on certain grey market devices including Samsung phones newer than the Galaxy S8.

If you have a phone that Fido carries depending on the make a model it might work. 

Itsmemairaj

I had my Fido sim active last week nd I tried to activate WiFi calling last week on my S10+. But it didn't allow me to. I would want a definite answer before I decide to switch back. 

@Itsmemairaj in this case you will have to contact Fido and they will have to add your IMEI number and do some configuring on their end in order to get it working.

While they are supporting phones not bought directly from them their is still no guarantee.

Itsmemairaj

Guess I need to confirm it with the loyalty rep. So I get a definite answer as it could be a deal breaker for me. 

Hello Itsmemairaj,

Welcome to the community!

As mentioned above, Fido has recently allowed certain grey-market devices to use Wifi-calling and voLTE on the networks (see here). This community member was able to get their Note 8 to use the services. While the US versions are not technically grey-market, they were still able to get theirs to work by flashing a different firmware. However, I do not recommend performing such acts if you are not familiar with the process.

In addition, this community member recently found the service to work on their grey-market S10+.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Itsmemairaj

Update : So I got in touch with the tier 2 tech support and they raised a case number. The issue took two days but was finally fixed and now my WiFi calling is enabled. Seems like they had to fix something at the backend through the provisioning team and that added my device to their network. 

Dan from tech support team was very helpful and provided me with periodic updates till he fixed it. 

LGO7
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Saw this thread from opening up my own.  How do you raise a case/ticket with Tier 2 Tech support so I can get my phone added?

Thanks,

Hello @LG07,

There isn't a way to get your phone added if it isn't a Fido device.

You're welcome to call tech support by dialing *611 if you wish to look into this deeper.