cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brightstar Insurance - Really? Is it me?

jmp660
I'm a participant level 2

Unfortunately 0 out of 5 is not a rating option. Unfortunately this has been the most difficult , inept insurance experience of my life. It is difficult to imagine how reputable companies like Rogers and Fido (same owners) could use this company. From beginning to end I felt as if I was dealing with scammers. A process that began in November 2019 with repeated requests for documents sent multiple times and an email stating replacement with a refurbished phone at NO cost and no mention of “processing fees” was not honoured. A $79.10 processing fee was required to seal the deal. The monthly payments on 4 phones for years has proven to be a complete “rip off” and will be cancelled - I would suggest Apple care to anyone who is potentially interested in this service. I am completely disgusted with the run around and lack of customer service. Everyone I encountered was very well rehearsed in passing the buck and telling you to read the fine print. I consider myself to be an educated consumer- but have to admit I am not a lawyer and trusted my service provider’s due diligence before I purchased this scam insurance I have emails and detailed documentation of this experience- still deciding what to do with it next. People should know who they are dealing with. A complete sham. What a waste of time and money- BUYER BEWARE - look at the other negative comments- I feel their pain - I find it difficult to believe anyone would give their process and bureaucratic nonsense a 5 out of 5

5 REPLIES 5

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello @jmp660

What you're describing is certainly not the experience we want you to have while processing your claim. 

In the Brightstar Welcome Kit there is indeed mention of a processing fee. With that said, could you clarify with the Community in which email does it mention that a replacement will be provided at no cost? 

You also mention that you are "still deciding what to do with it next". To clarify, did you go ahead and complete the claim process?

jmp660

First I Had no choice other than to pay the $79.10 in order to get a phone replacement.  I filed the initial claim on November 24 and it has been excuse one after another all the while I am paying $13.00 a month for insurance.  I have copied and pasted the email I received from Brightstar so you can see exactly what it says..

An Important Message From Your Mobile Device Protection Provider

Please Call Us About Your Device Repair

Dear Mrs JACQUELINE PEARL,

Based on information provided by our repair partner your device cannot be repaired.

You will receive a replacement device for no additional cost. However, we need a little more information before we can continue your Service Request, including a credit card and the address where you would like to receive your replacement.

Although you will not be charged, we must have this information on file to continue your Service Request.

Please call Brightstar Customer Care at 866-327-3399 to have your replacement device shipped to you as soon as possible and get instructions for returning your damaged device.

Please note that if you don't call within 60 days from the date of your accepted Service Request, it will be cancelled and your device will not be replaced.

If you would like to review your terms and conditions, please visit fido.ca/servicerequest.

Sincerely,
Brightstar Customer Care

Your Device Information

Account Information For:

Wireless Number:

Device Make and Model:
Apple iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Grey

Service Request ID:

Service Request Date:
2019-11-24

Privacy Statement

Please do not reply to this email; this mailbox is not monitored. To ensure you continue receiving communication from Brightstar, please add noreply@brightstarprotect.com to your address book or safe list.

Se désabonner / Unsubscribe
Brightstar Device Protection, LLC, 2325 Lakeview Parkway, Suite 700, Alpharetta, GA 30009, USA
Contactez nous / Contact us

Hello Jmp660,

Welcome to the community and Happy New Year!

Thank you for providing the additional information. I believe there was a misunderstanding regarding the email, though. As FidoFrancois mentioned, the processing fees should have been provided when you signed up for the device protection. You can also view the related fees here.

The email stated that you will receive a replacement for no additional cost because the repair shop deemed the device unrepairable. The $79.10 processing fee was not for the replacement of the phone, it was the repair processing fee ($70 + tax for a tier 3 device). The usual replacement fee for the same tiered device is $200 + tax.

It appears as though Brightstar did not charge you additional processing fees for your replacement as they stated in the email.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

jmp660

So what you are saying is that Brightstar did me a favour?  Please! The way they passed the buck around and finally got to get a replacement - Date of claim filed November 24, 2019 - date phone replacement received January 3, 2020.  I am cancelling the insurance with Fido and with Rogers that has 4 lines.  I will not recommend Brightstar to anyone who asks.....I was treated like I was trying to steal something from them.

I thank you for your time in replying but save your explanation and convincing for someone else.

Hello @jmp660,

It is understandable that you're unhappy about the fact that it took over a month for the phone to reach you.

Though, what we're trying to explain is that you ended up getting a fresh device instead of your repaired device for the same price. 

If you wish to remove the protection, that is your choice. Just remember, there are savings to be made when having this in your plan.