Beware of the Fido Roam

Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Beware of the Fido Roam

If you have a Fido Pulse plan, Fido will have enabled (whether you wanted it or not) the Fido Roam plan. You might think you can just ignore it if you have no interest in using their roaming services but that is not the case. There are in fact a few sneaky little gotchas that may cost you upwards of $180 in extra charges on your next bill if you aren't fully informed. Read on.

It used to be that when you arrive in a destination country, you'd recieve a text message informing you that you were roaming and that pay-per-use roaming charges would apply. You would then even be given some roaming package you could choose to opt-in to. Cool!

Not the case anymore. Now with Fido Roam enabled, what happens it that once you arrive in your destination country, you'll recieve a text message that looks something like this:41945306_10155496318011734_1795333541324652544_n.jpg

It would be very easy to think that by just not turning on your data (and data roaming) you'd be ok BUT that is not the case at all. There in lies the grand trap that cost me a small chunk of change! 

You will automatically enable Fido Roam services for a 24 hour period at whatever cost was specified in the initial text if you simply send a text message OR recieve an MMS message (a text with a picture) OR recieve a call and reject it (rather than letting it ring and go to voicemail). You won't have any idea that you activated it either until you get your bill at the end of your billing cycle. Further more, you can't even disable it from your customer account portal, you need to either get onto live chat or call a customer service representative to have them disable it!

I have a dual-SIM phone and in my case, it used to be that upon leaving, I'd disable Fido's data and enable my host countries data plan and I'd be free and clear. If I recieved a text or call on my Fido line, I could simply respond to it and pay the one time usage fee... turns out this year, that wasn't the case and rather than paying $10.50 for sending about 14 text messages I was dinged $84! Now that's one hell of a markup in price! 

I highly recommend you disable Fido Roam ASAP before travelling and instead, get a SIM chip for the country you are visiting. You will almost ALWAYS get a far superior deal to any roaming package Fido offers you! 

Going forward, here is what FIdo should do:

1) When the roaming plan has been activated for a 24 hour period, you should recieve a text message indicating it has been activated and should also give you the exact time it will be deactivated (as it lasts for a 24 hour period).

2) There should be a quick and easy way to opt out by text message.

3) It should NOT be automatically enabled on any plan, instead users should be able to opt-in to it like before.

4) It should be easily enabled/disabled via the customer service portal as opposed to having to actually have a customer service rep do it for you.

I don't forsee any of these happening though because there is money to be made as data overage and roaming charges bring HUGE dollars to telecom providers. 

Hope this helps someone from falling into this trap because if you think Fido will reimburse you, you are sorely mistaken. You will be told that their roaming policies are "clearly laid out" on some part of their site for anyone to read... sadly this is all after the fact that you've fallen into the trap!

Now cue the customer service reps and community mods to chime in with their copy-pasted responses indicating how sorry they are that I feel this way and that it's not for everyone and so on....

Accepted Solution

Re: Beware of the Fido Roam

Hey @Fredyo!

Thanks for your feedback! That's certainly a lot of points to cover and I promise not to copy/paste anything. Smiley

I just have a few points to clarify there:

1. We extended Fido Roam to everyone so all our customers can take advantage of it while traveling. In general, there's more value in using Fido Roam then pay-per-use. Hence why we went with the opt-out model rather than the opt-in one.

2. Although we extended this to everyone, you do have the options to opt-out anytime to use our pay-per-use rates. Those rates and Fido Roam information can be found here.

3. Usage that triggers Fido Roam includes making or receiving a phone call, retrieving voicemails, sending a text (receiving is free), sending/receiving a picture message or using data. Rejecting a call will not trigger Fido Roam.

That all being said, I completely understand if Fido Roam doesn't meet your particular needs. We will certainly take all your other suggestions in consideration.

If you would like to discuss you billing, I would be quite happy to send you a PM to discuss it further with you. Smiley

Let me know.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 77
Highlighted

Hey @rho88

Thank you for your feedback. While we totally understand that unexpected charges are no fun, we make sure to advise our customers about any chargers that may incur when they use Fido roam in a covered destination via a free incoming text message. When you receive the text message, you have the option to put your phone on airplane mode or just take out your sim card to avoid any such usage. You can also contact us to opt-out. 

The $10 fee only applies to a few specific transactions that are easily available through self-serve options. Opting-out of Fido roam in not included in that. We also offer many ways to contact us to accommodate our customers, calling in is not the only option. That said, if you use your Fido sim, you are billed a flat rate of either $7 in US or $12 internationally that  gives you access to what your plan offers for a full 24 hours. 

To clarify, if you have a spare phone with a local sim, there should be no fee. As you might have read in this thread, the roaming fee is only triggered when an outgoing usage is detected and validated through your Fido sim card. There's no way for us to see any usage made on any other sim, but our own.

You can check if you are currently enrolled to Fido Roam by simply texting ROAM to 222. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 51 of 77
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 3

wow talk about a copy/paste response... Repeating what I wrote. This is what frustrate your customers. Everything you wrote I already mentioned on my original post. Including what triggered the Fido Roam charge, why it makes no sense to not include the opt-out option in the app, and why I want to keep my Fido sim on when traveling although I have a spare phone.

And no, putting your phone on airplane mode does not completely solve the issue. That is misleading and is what a lot of people are saying on this thread.

I'll try to make it simple and to the point. Why is the opt-out option not in the app or in the My Account?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 52 of 77
Highlighted

Hey @ rho88!

Rest assured that our replies are genuine and all the information we provided was accurate. Smiley

The last thing we want is to mislead anyone. 

You really have nothing to lose by keeping it active on your account. You're only charged if you use the service and if you do remove it, you’ll be charged full price for every minute, SMS/MMS and all of the data you use while roaming. 

It is still entirely possible by contacting us though. Please note that we have many channels available for customer service including calling from abroad, Live Chat, or Social Media on Facebook and Twitter. 

While it is not possible at the moment to do it from MyAccount, once again we definitely appreciate the feedback on the matter as we always wish to improve our app and self-serve tools. 

If you prefer to still use a non-Fido SIM, it's entirely up to you. 

If you still wish to use your SIM and avoid Fido Roam fees, you have to make sure that your mobile/roaming data is turned off, to not send texts and to not make/receive phone calls. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 53 of 77
Highlighted

I just talk to Manager, and she let me know that Fido is charging me $12 for 84 bytes of usage.

My Mobile phone was disabled and still got charged, I highly recommend all customer to run away from Fido.

Manager was rude and unprofessional.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 54 of 77
Highlighted

Hey @RoamingRiOff,

We understand that having a higher than expected bill is never a pleasant situation and we're sorry that your experience when you called in wasn't a positive one. Rest assured that's not the type of experience we want our customers to go through.

In regards to Fido Roam, you can check out the solution above to learn more about the types of usage that will trigger a daily fee. Also, it's important to note that the Data Roaming feature on your device must be turned OFF before roaming to avoid any charges for the internet. If Data Roaming is ON and your device connects to a foreign partner's network, your device will use data automatically in the background which will trigger the daily fee.Therefore we recommend turning the feature off before travelling and before arriving at the destination.

You will only be charged if usage is actually made from the device, it's not possible for us to charge you if there was no usage detected through the SIM card. 

You can also learn more here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 55 of 77
Highlighted

Hi,

Fido hunts down its customers to charge them Roaming fees.

Fido charges you when you connect to a wifi that requires login authentication!!

Fido will have to reimburse all customers because what they are doing is illegal.

Please, stop copy/pasting your ridicule answers!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 56 of 77
Highlighted

Hey @RoamingRiOff,

I assure you our intent is to offer you a reliable service whether you're in Canada or abroad.

When you connect to another network, they send us the charges and we mitigate the charge with our Fido roam option.

Rest assured, we operate within the legal bounds of Canadian law and we inform you of any charge that will apply to your account while travelling. 

You can get more details here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 57 of 77
Highlighted

You did not inform me, I just got the bill.

you still need to fix the WIFI authentication bug in your system, you can't charge $12 for 85kb of data, that is ridiculous.!

It is illegal because you can't charge $12 for wifi authentication!!.

sooner or later Canadian law will hunt you down and shut you down.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 58 of 77
Highlighted
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello RoamingRiOff,

Welcome to the community!

Logging into a network's Wifi which requires authentication does not use cellular data. However, while your device may be connected to Wifi in order to login, your device won't be connected to the internet until it is fully authenticated. It will only be connected to the local Wifi network for login.

If your data and roaming data were enabled, any data required by your phone's systems or apps before you finished logging-in would have used cellular data because your device was not connected to the internet.

For the future, if you do not intend on using your cellular services, you might consider enabling Airplane or Flight mode for the duration of your trip. You could then manually enable Wifi when required. You should note that if your phone is capable of Wifi-calling, certain usage would be considered roaming as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 59 of 77
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I just got nailed by this sneaky charge as well. Charged about $39 to send around 5 text messages over the span of 3 days in Europe.

If Fido really cared about customers’ interpretation of Fido Roam charges as being predatory, they would change it to a price cap. In other words, you would pay the per-usage-rates, but only up to a maximum of $13 / day ($8 in the US).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 60 of 77