cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asian spam calls

kristok
I'm a visitor
I'm a visitor

Anyone receiving phone calls in Chinese language (in their voice mail)?  For months?  I do.  -  AT THE END IT SAYS:  ""HELLO THIS IS  FIDO CHINESE VOICE DEPT."" - Then the message of the calling party repeats.  

5 REPLIES 5

Dixen91
I'm a participant level 2

Go to Hell you scam.

Hey @Dixen91,

We know the spam calls are super annoying and we truly apologize for the inconvenience.  We've moved your message in this thread. You'll find the answer in the solution provided above.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kristok,

Welcome to the community!

Fido does have Chinese speaking customer service representatives. However, those calls are not from Fido. They are from spammers/scammers trying to target Fido's Chinese immigrant customer base. I understand many people who do not speak or understand the language are also receiving the calls. It's easier for the spammers/scammers to simply call all of Fido's phone numbers rather than to determine which phone numbers belong to Chinese customers. In fact, it appears that they aren't even bothering to only target Fido customers anymore. Some people from other providers have also received similar messages.

Unfortunately, since the spammers/scammers use spoofed numbers, there isn't much that can be done to prevent the nuisance calls. While Universal Call Block has been implemented, that system only blocks calls from malformed phone numbers. Hopefully, the new protocol STIR/SHAKEN will help prevent nuisance calls from spoofed numbers. However, that system is not yet fully implemented.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Dixen91

Hey fido. Please do something about this Chinese calls.

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @kristok,

Almost everyone is getting these spam calls, but the carriers are working on new measures (STIR/SHAKEN) to combat these spam calls.