cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Almost 20 years of loyalty

tea_q
I'm a contributor level 1

I am so frustrated. I have been a a Fido customer for almost 20 years! That's longer than most marriages last these days! My mom came to Fido as a customer because of me, about 15 years ago. We've both been stellar customers, never once missing a payment. And yet, despite that loyalty, the cost of plans have been creeping up $10 and $15 here and there, and now, we're both being offered different pricing for the same plans!! 

We are both already on similar plans, but I've come to find out that she plays $15 less for her plan than I do. And now she is being offered a 30 GB plan for $70 per month and I'm being offered the same plan for $90 per month!! The rep claims that because mine called a "medium" plan, that's why they can't offer me the same thing as my mom. The only difference I can see is that my mom's is called a "payment plan". That's outrageous! Instead of trying to help me get the cost of my plan down, with the same services, I just received the same stock answers, clearly reading from a script: these are the only available plans, what's offered is dependent on usuage (clearly not as we both currently have the same plan but paying different prices and we both have similar usage!!), this is all we have available, you;ve reached the right department for loyalty, no I can't offer you anything better, and at the same time giving me attitude!!

I thought loyalty meant something to Fido but I can see that it simply doesn't anymore. And with my contract ending this January it might finally be time for me to end this "marriage" and go with a new service provider. So incredibly frustrating because loyalty and stellar payment history used to count for something. 

I hear from people all the time that as long time loyal customers they will hear from Fido offering exclusive plans to retain them or win them back if they choose to leave. Is that what it takes? I have to leave, go through the hassle of signing up with another service provider, before Fido will offer me a decent monthly plan? I can guarantee this, if I have to go to the trouble of leaving, I won't be back. Ever. I remember a time when the people who took your calls actually had the power to take care of loyal customers, which has obviously changed, and that's absolutely a change for the worst.

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tea_q,

I can understand it might be frustrating not being able to get the same offer as your mother. However, from what you note, your situation has nothing to do with loyalty. I also understand you believe your situations are the same. However, they are not.

@tea_q wrote:... And with my contract ending this January...

You are still under contract. That is, your current phone has an outstanding balance. From what you note, it does not sound like your mother was under contract. That's likely the reason you were offered the Medium plan and your mother was offered a Payment plan.

Since your contract is nearing its end, you have a subsidised plan. You should note that Fido has recently switched from their old subsidy model to a financed Payment Program. With the subsidised plans, the cost of devices was incorporated into the cost of plans (ie Small, Medium, Large, etc). With the new model, the cost of devices is separate from the cost of plans.

If you still have an outstanding balance on your phone, your plan would need to include a subsidy to pay the remaining balance. That's why your plan is a Medium plan and costs more than your mother's plan. If you wanted to get a plan like your mother's plan, you would have needed to end your contract (ie pay-off the balance of your phone).

You should note that once your contract ends, your plan does not automatically remove the subsidy. It would remain a Medium plan and you would need to switch to a new in-market plan without subsidy. Depending on the amount outstanding on your phone and considering this time of year tends to have better promotions, you might consider paying-out the balance of your device to get a new non-subsidised plan. Since the promotions tend to vary frequently, your mother's particular plan may not be available anymore.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

tea_q

Thanks for the explanation. I understand I'm under contract, and I understand the subsidy part of it. There is only a $26 subsidy remaining and I advised the agent I was prepared to pay that out and to end the contract. The only offer she made at that point was for a new plan that was only $5 cheaper than the one I currently have. Hardly a better offer, after I was very clear with her that the price I'm paying is much too high, given the various options that appear to be available to everyone but me. So you can understand my frustration. And this has everything to do with loyalty and retention. It should NOT be this difficult to get good, straight-forward, easy to understand, cost-effective options and customer service ESPECIALLY when you've been with Fido for almost 20 years. I should haven't to resort to Forums for explanations or anything else.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Customer service can only provide you offers generated by the system. You would need to pay-off the remaining balance before the system can provide any offers not related to your current contract. Once your contract has ended, the system should be able to provide better offers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

tea_q

Thank you for the explanation.

I'm not actually interested in more data. It's about the price of my plan. I want better pricing. I was forced into the medium plan, that I didn't want, and that has been the case with plans for several years now. The agent I spoke with today only offered a plan that was $5.00 cheaper than my current plan, and didn't appear willing or able to offer any other solutions or plans with better pricing.

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @tea_q,

Fido changed to finance only option in February 2020 and from what you are saying you are on a plan that is no longer offered (medium plan) the only way to change to a current in-market plan that might offer more data is that you would need to pay off the device balance. 

Looks like your mom is on one of these plans and was able to take advantage of a recent promotion.