cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account suspended but got charged full fees

aznpoo
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I had an incident where I lost my job and missed a few payments, the account was suspended and I thought I will pay it back the following month. However I got an overage charge of over 400$ when I did not even use my phone. I now have a job and willing to pay back my fees, however I don't feel it is justified to pay for services I did not use.

Tried talking to a rep and they have no power to adjust the overage charge so I is doable to pay it off. At the moment it is 800$ (400$ are just fees). I am considering of cancelling the phone number completely and send it to collection.

5 REPLIES 5

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @aznpoo 

You might have referred to the possible "temporary suspension" of your account.

FYI. This option is available but you need to request it at the beginning of your billing cycle

Note you are allowed to request this "temporary suspension" once per 12 months and can request it for a minimum of 2 months to a maximum of 12 months.  The fee during suspension are only $7 /month.

Here is a latest trend on this subject. Suspend-a-plan Oct 2019 

If you haven't take advantage of this than perhaps in the future it's good to know it's available.

Best regards

Si11
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

i had paused my fido number on october 2022 because i was going to travel for few months. I called the rep and she gave me advice to pause the number at $0  if i was coming back within 6 months so i did as advised. However, i still got $56 this month saying bill date November 10 to December 10.

what is the solution for this?

Hi @Si11, welcome to the community, Alex here! 

Are you referring to a temporary suspension? If so that's actually $7 per month. 

It's also good to know that the first credit may start on the 2nd invoice after the temporary suspension is added. You will still benefit from the full number of discounted months. As an example, for a three months temporary suspension, the 1st credit will appear on the 2nd invoice; the 2nd credit on the 3rd invoice, and the 3rd credit on the 4th invoice, even if the service has already been restored.

You may still want to contact our customer service to make sure that the temporary suspension has been correctly added to your line. You can reach out through any of the channels here

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hello @aznpoo welcome to the community.

I understand there is no possibility to credit you services attached to the agreement you had accepted because the service are related to your phone at 0$. It doesn't make a difference if you haven't used them it is an open account which is due every 30 days.

If you contact the billing services and try to work on a repayment strategy with them ...before it goes to collection it would be more beneficial for you and reestablish your account.

Collection means it will have an entry registered on your credit bureau depending where you live in Canada for a minimum of 7 years an affect you more 

Congrats on your new job and I wish you the best.

Hey @aznpoo

We certainly understand that getting a higher than usual bill is not a pleasant experience. However, as @Scooby-Doo mentioned, the monthly service fee is charged regardless of whether or not you have any usage. 

We want our customers to be fully aware of the services they are billed for and for that we do send you monthly invoices with all the details. It's good to keep an eye out on your bills to see what's going on with your account financially. These are valid charges. 

I invite you to communicate with our Credit Operations team to take a payment arrangement. You can reach them by dialing *732 directly from your mobile or 1-888-288-2106 from any phone.