APN Settings Need Update Android 8.1 MMSC on 3G only no MMSC on LTE

I'm a Contributor Level 1 dGio
I'm a Contributor Level 1

APN Settings Need Update Android 8.1 MMSC on 3G only no MMSC on LTE

Screenshot_20181001-155723.pngScreenshot_20181001-155731.pngScreenshot_20181001-155747.png

As you can see by the screen shots if I want to receive picture messages I have to choose the 3G APN

I can select lte and get 4G but then MMSC doesn't work.

Why has Android blocked the ability to update APN settings?

FIDO update the APN settings so we can use MMSC on our Android 8.1 devices with 4G/LTE!

Google/Android blocking this feature of editing APN is something Apple would do (after being a long time frustrated iPhone user I am very dissapointed to come across this option blocked...)

Accepted Solution

Re: APN Settings Need Update Android 8.1 MMSC on 3G only no MMSC on LTE

Hello @dGio,

Did you try taking the SIM out of the phone and see if it will allow you to edit the APN?

I personally experience this issue with a few phones where it was not letting me edit the APN what I did was tap on the burger menu (the 3 dots) hit save went back out then tap on the APN again and I was able to edit it now. 

A few times I have to do a network reset first then reboot and did the same steps above in order to edit the APN.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 31
Highlighted
I'm a Contributor Level 2 cbsewell
I'm a Contributor Level 2

Re: APN Settings Need Update Android 8.1 MMSC on 3G only no MMSC on LTE

I hope I can help someone in the same situation, but it's unfortunate that rooting the phone is the only way to get the APN configuration fixed. If the phone manufacturer had a more up-to-date xml file or if they allowed editing of APNs (not sure who to blame for that) then we wouldn't have to do this. Rooting is a last resort and some  apps don't work properly on rooted phones due to security considerations (although you can sometimes hide the fact that the phone is rooted from them).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 31 of 31