cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G mobile support

Homosap1ens
I'm a participant level 2

Can you tell me if Fido provides 5G mobile support? If not, is that planned anywhere in future? Thanks!

11 REPLIES 11

SueM1
I'm a contributor level 1

Very Dissapointing. It's a year now and still no sign of 5G for Fido customers yet Rogers has it and they share the same towers. I don't understand why Fido is blocked from 5G 

IronEagle1
I'm a participant level 1

It is easy to understand. Rogers is the big brother. Fido is the little brother. Like Virgin is to Bell and Public Mobile is to Telus. You pay more for a cellular plan and a cellular at the big brother stores. Then you do at their little (brothers) stores. Therefore to make you want to move up to Rogers, Bell, or Telus. They keep the the new 5G network for them only. Leaving their little (brother) networks with 4G. The other cell companies that they own below that, they offer the 3G network. The one's they created to do competition with Shaw in western Canada. When you pay less..... you receive less. It's new marketing strategy among the three big cell providers in Canada, Rogers, Bell, and Telus. Anyway most of the time when you're on your cell phone you do not know if your reception is 3G, 4G or 5G. They give you what they have depending on the area you are in and your reception. As long as your cell phone works well, does it really matter that much 4G or 5G? I hope this answers your question. Have a good day.... stay safe.

Hello SueM1,

I can understand being excited about the latest technology.  As already mentioned, Fido is not currently offering 5G services (see here). They are concentrating on improving the LTE networks. As far as I am aware, none of the flanker brands are offering 5G services either. 

@SueM1 wrote:... they share the same towers. ...

While they might share the same towers with Rogers, they don't necessarily share the same services. Different levels of flanker providers offer different services. To reduce costs for customers, they must be selective in the options and services they offer. Mobile flanker brands don't get premium options like 5G, data sharing, or bundling, but their plans often offer the best balance of price and functionality (taken from here). That said, there is speculation that the first tier flanker brands could offer 5G access for a fee at some point (see here). Unfortunately, this notion is still only conjecture. No one here would know if or when this could happen. Any update on 5G access would be announced on Fido.ca.

For the moment, if you want to access 5G services, you will need to switch to one of the parent providers (ie Rogers, Bell, Telus or Videotron).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SueM1

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I hope they don't up the charge to access 5G. They didn't before from 3G, LTE etc. they moved along with technology. 5G shouldn't be any different.  IMO they should be going with newer technology rather than improving past technology.  I just looked at Rogers etc. I'm regretting I moved from Rogers where I had a corporate plan to save a few $ with Fido. But at the time Fido had current technology. Now I'm retired and can't get my corporate discount back. If I only had a crystal ball. Always assumed Fido would move along with technology as they always had. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @nlf,

If or when 5G is available with Fido it will be announced on the website.

nlf

Is there an update on the 5G rollout for Fido? I am getting lower cost unlimited offerings from Bell etc. for 5G

mohamedkabbaj

5G its take too much time to be available in Fido, many of my friends change fido for bell and i think i will follow 

Thanks for your feedback @mohamedkabbaj!

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Homosap1ens

Not at at this time, though 5G compatible devices will be able to run on our 4G LTE network. Rest assured that as soon as we have an update on the situation, we'll announce it on our website Smiley

Homosap1ens

Thanks for the answer. But are you sure it is planned or.....?

Not exactly,

5G will be available on the Rogers network only for now, no news for Fido yet. However, we'll be sure to share any new development on the situation when we get more info.

Hope this answers your question.