Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a phone on contract

hananakhan
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi there,

I'm looking to upgrade my phone and saw a fabulous deal with Fido's Payment Program that lasts 24 months. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or cons for signing the 2-year contract? I had a friend who got a nice deal on her phone and her provider ended up increasing her monthly plan price to the point where she couldn't afford to stay yet she struggled to pay the retail price of the phone when leaving. Don't want that happening as the only reason I want the phone is cause it's much cheaper getting it on a plan...too much to pay otherwise. Any advice?

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hananakan,

Welcome to the community!

I understand wanting to have a full understanding of your charges when you upgrade your device. Firstly, you should note that Fido switched from their old subsidised model to a financed Payment Program which is generally the full device amount financed over the 24 months. With the older model, the cost of devices was incorporated into plan costs. That could be what happened to your friend. With the new model, plan costs and device costs are separate. Once your device has been paid, you would no longer have any monthly financing charges.

You should note that if your current plan is under the subsidised model, you would likely need to switch your plan to one under the new model as the two models are not compatible.

Your total monthly costs for upgrading your device would be the monthly plan costs plus monthly device financing costs (plus Set-up fee in the first month if customer service assisted with the upgrade) as well as any overages (ie long-distance).

You should also note many of the advertised promotions are after bill credit. As well, it should be noted that those credits do not reduce the actual cost of the phone. Rather, they are added to the bill to offset the device costs. That point becomes relevant if the contract is ended prematurely. If you terminate your contract early, you will be required to pay the remaining balance owed on the device. The remaining owed balance would be the original monthly financing fee x remaining months. It would not be the after bill credit amount as the credits would no longer apply.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @hananakhan,

Welcome to the community!

Your plan price will not change as long as you are in a contract, if your plan becomes a grandfathered plan and the price increases you will not be affected as long as you are in a contract. Once there is an upcoming change Fido will notify you on your invoice of all upcoming changes.