Kadams22
I'm a participant level 1

Hey what's is this charge? 4.99$

12 REPLIES 12

Razavi

In my bill showed $5 extra charges and dialed #2030 ! I didn't talk to anybody! I called Fido and  they said it is Valid and I have to pay for it! It is only 1 minute! Very frustrating! It's not the first time that Fido changed me for these kind of errors! 

Hello Razavi,

Welcome to the community!

I understand it's frustrating getting unexpected charges. Did you make a call to a toll-free number? The #2030 charge is a special charge for toll-free directory assistance. Any time a toll-free number is no longer active, the system will notify the caller of its status and ask if the caller would like to forward the call to the new number. It is the forwarding of the call to the new number which incurs the charge. If you copied the new phone number and manually dialled the new number yourself, I don't think there would have been any charges. 

Though this link is from another provider, it lists the different pay-per-use service codes. As noted in their list, the #2030 is for Information. Since that list is from a different provider, I'm not sure if all of those service codes are available throughout Canada or only within their region.

I also understand the charge appears on your Fido bill. However, Fido are not the ones who are charging you the fee. That is a Directory Assistance service and they are the ones charging for their services. The charge would have appeared with any of the other providers as well.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hasoka

This is a number that charges the phone company and the advertise charge goes in your bill as #2030, it as toll-free directory assistance 866-246-7762, it is very close to the PC financial mastercard number 866-246-7262 so be careful dialing it, unfortunately this happened to me recently as well 😠

7_ALi_7

So, When I called Service Canada to inquire about my EI status. I was told to call this #2030. Then, when I receieved my Fido bill. I saw the charges of $4.99 for the minute. Please be aware of this situation. God bless. 

Hey @7_ALi_7 !

Welcome to the Community. Smiley

As you can see in @Cawtau's reply earlier in this thread, it can unfortunately happen when making a typo while dialing some popular toll-free numbers.

If you need any help with your bill, please don't hesitate to contact us.

AshWin03

This exact same thing just happened to me and it seems that #2030 is something showing up on loads of bills according to the representative I spoke with at Fido. They are apparently "looking into", however it's curious that everyone seems to have "dialed" the same toll free number and this is something that's been happening since 2016. It would be nice if they could tell us which number it was that we called since w are being forced to pay for this. This was just added to my bill this month and this coming just after 2 fraudulent accounts were added to my account without my approval and now there is a fraudulent charge on my account. I am not shocked anymore that once again no one is doing anything about it. I have been with Fido for 11+ years now and I am truly sad to say that I will be leaving after all of the **bleep** and time I have spent over the last two months dealing with the worst customer service I have ever experienced! 

analistamarcio

Good idea. Let's move to the competitor.

patrickchan
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

hi, 

i have done this too, i hae dailed an 1866 number to direct energy repair (it auto foroward me to the replacement repair company), i was charged for it, i did able to get back my $5.00, i did display my anger, the system "should" ask if you want to accept the charges like the old days when one tried to connect using an collect call function on the landline. scammers canadian carriers. 

Hello AshWin03,

@AshWin03 wrote:...it's curious that everyone seems to have "dialed" the same toll free number ...

To clarify, it isn't one particular toll-free number which results in those directory assistance charges. Any time a toll-free number is no longer active, the system will notify the caller of its status and ask if the caller would like to forward the call to the new number. It is the forwarding of the call to the new number which incurs the charge. If you copied the new phone number and manually dialled the new number yourself, I don't think there would have been any charges.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Maria2024
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I've just been charged 4,99$, after calling my insurance company on their toll free number:

Maria2024_0-1707971037885.png

However I was NOT notified nor asked if I woiuld like to be forwarded... I was NOT given the possibility of avoiding the charge. 

This pratice is unacceptabel and I strongly believe that Fido could put an end to it.

Fido has too many clients victims of this scam!

Hello Maria2024,

I understand it's frustrating getting unexpected charges. I cannot speak as to why you were not given the option of the manually connecting the call. However, as mentioned, previously in this thread, while the charge appears on your phone bill, Fido are not the ones who are charging you the fee. That is a Directory Assistance service and they are the ones charging for their services. They are also the ones who would have automatically transferred the call to the correct number. They may have changed their system to automatically dial the new number.

As also previously mentioned, the charge would have appeared with any of the other providers as well.

In your post on the French forum, you didn't think you had the incorrect phone number. However, from the image you posted, the number dialled included 833 while the connected call was to a number including 883.

You should note that these forums are community-driven and are not intended as a venue for customer services. We would not have access to customers' accounts. If you wish to discuss the matter you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Kadams22

Welcome to the Community Smiley

The charge would be billed when using certain third-party services. As you're dialing a special number it may connect you to a service billing you $4.99/call.

Just to confirm, do you see on your invoice another number dialed at the same time as the #2030 charge?