Ping Issue in Games and Voice Apps

I'm a Participant Level 2 lamz
I'm a Participant Level 2

Ping Issue in Games and Voice Apps

For the past week, I've been experiencing higher pings and lag spikes in my online games. Usually my ping would hover around 20-30 ms but as of late its been staying consistently around 70-80 ms. The lag spike would go up to 300-400 ms. This is also affecting my voice apps like Discord and Skype, where my friends are having a hard time hearing me because of the spikes in ping, I would cut in and out and sound distorted. I don't have anyone using any intensive app or program on the network that would disrupt my gaming. The most would be Netflix but that has never affected my ping. I've never experienced any kind of lag since signing up with Fido. My modem is currently on 4.5.8.38T5. I've already tried factory resetting the modem and it doesn't help. Hoping I could get some help with this issue.

Accepted Solution

Re: Ping Issue in Games and Voice Apps

Hey @Iamz

I got in touch with our technical support team and they said that it would be normal to have a higher ping while gaming and they suggested getting in touch with the technical support team from your game to see if there's an issue on their end.  They also mentioned that you could set up some port forwarding on your modem which may help.  However, this is not something for which they offer support.

If you do have a high ping during regular usage (browsing web pages like Google), then we'll have to investigate.

Hope it helps! Smiley

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 5
Former Moderator FidoJulien
Former Moderator

Hey @lamz

Welcome to the community Smiley

It seems like you already performed basic troubleshooting, so good job!  Have you already spoken with technical support about this?

I've reached out to a few people on my side to verify what we can do.  I'll let you know when I have more info.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 5
Highlighted
Former Moderator FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Solution

Hey @Iamz

I got in touch with our technical support team and they said that it would be normal to have a higher ping while gaming and they suggested getting in touch with the technical support team from your game to see if there's an issue on their end.  They also mentioned that you could set up some port forwarding on your modem which may help.  However, this is not something for which they offer support.

If you do have a high ping during regular usage (browsing web pages like Google), then we'll have to investigate.

Hope it helps! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 5
I'm a Participant Level 2 lamz
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thank you, the situation has resolved on its own, my ping is back to what it was. Thanks again.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the update @Iamz

We're happy to hear it! Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 5