cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem upgrade

Gerry24
I'm a contributor level 2

Is it possible to upgrade from the CGN3AMF ? Over the past 3 or more years I have spent many times on the phone with tech support trying to resolve issues with dropped internet. I have tried everything they have thrown at me, had techs out to try and find issues and have it currently disabled as a gateway and just using it as a modem which was the only thing that helped improve the madness but we are still rebooting, in my opinion, way to often. I have replaced my own hardware (access points and routers several times out of pocket) trying to resolve issues.

The hardware is old tech and just want to know if there are better choices available. Considering all the devices a home has with google home, smart TVs, phones, tablets and PCs the list is endless and I think the hardware is antiquated for the times espicially since we are all locked up with nowhere to go the internet is a very big distraction with streaming services and gaming etc.

Thank you Gerry.

8 REPLIES 8

Gerry24

Is this the only course of action ? 

Not to be rude but it's just going to be the same old dog and pony show, do this and that , turn it on and off, running up and down stairs, I am just not sure that is productive or helpful on my end as this is inevitably just repetitive like the movie Ground Hog day only with tech support.

Tech support is the best department to look into your internet issue since they have access to the appropriate tools and troubleshooting. 

Gerry24

Good day I was letting this post die but then I came across a post from FidoFrancois a moderator for fido and read this,

With that said, by renting a modem through Fido we can ensure it stays current. It's important to note that our Fido Wi-Fi Modem, which is a modem and a Wi-Fi router in one, is required to connect to the Fido network."

That being said how does one go about getting a current modem. 

Thank you Gerry24

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Gerry24!

If something isn't functioning the way it should, then the modem can be swapped out by our tech support team.

Is something not working well? If that's the case, we suggest reaching out to tech support directly at 1-888-259-3436. If the issue requires the modem being swapped out, then they'll take care of it! Keep in mind only tech support can authorise a modem swap.

I hope that information helps, the Community is here for you if you have more questions! Smiley 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Gerry24

Just to confirm, are you looking to update the firmware or to change the device itself?

The firmware is usually pushed automatically. We also have an ongoing trial if you wish to enroll/learn more. As for changing the device, this will require confirmation and approval by our technical support team. You can reach out to them 24/7 by phone or live chat here to troubleshoot your modem.

Hope this helps!

Gerry24

I have done the calls, the online chatting and even had the current modem replace about a year ago with the same model.

Yet I am having the same issues as before. That being said it got mildly better since I set the router to a modem and removed the gateway feature.

If I can be honest I do not wish to go through the same motions over and over, running up and down the stairs power cycling the modem etc.

I understand the firmware is pushed out automatically and I was wondering if there is a different model available. There is a fair amount of complaints online concerning the CGN3AMF.

I peronally think with my family being home during this lock down that the modem just cant handle the traffic, I may be wrong but when it goes down the tension here goes up and I am the house IT guy. Smiley

Hello @Gerry24,

If you wish to look into getting a new modem due to the issues you're having, I would recommend contacting our tech support team, 

Gerry24

Yes while I do understand the procedure I have done it enough times that I believe I know the routine pretty good and to be honest the times I have dealt with tech support I have not had the problem resolved but I have gotten lots of exercise and used up several hours of my time. Not that I am going this route but its less frustrating sometimes just to reboot the router than to spend hours waiting to get a rep, get passed from call to call and spending time with someone reading off a troubleshooting script. 

I will look at other avenues, thank you.