Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Home internet review/opinions?

tgidave
I'm a participant level 1

Hey there,

Just curious for those who have tried out Fido home internet! What are your opinions, experiences and reviews. How does it compare to other providers? Speeds? Consistency.. Etc!

Thanks!

***Edited to add Labels***

49 REPLIES 49

Asek

Worse internet service in Canada @fidomobile

Call them on Monday and they said I should call back on Friday
Called them on Friday and they
Kept me on the phone for 4 hours only to tell me I can disconnect if I want
Customer service is **bleep**

Donā€™t use them

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Asek

That doesn't sound right. For assistance with any technical difficulties you're experiencing, our home internet technical support team is available 24/7 by phone or live chat.

For any other request, you can immediately reach out to us on any other channel using that same link.  A Fido representative will be happy to help.

Badinternet
I'm a participant level 2

Bad service 

KeithN

Ok. I swtiched to fido plan about 2 mths ago. Evrerything was good before -was also under Rogers network..just to pricey. Only thing changed in my network is the installation of fido modem. Eversince I have been getting dropped signals..I am a bit techy so narrow it down to poor wifi strength coming from the modem..not my devices.

Every since signed up cannot get hold of customer service unless you have a good hour to spend on the phone.

Finally yesterday I talked with their tech support - confirmed the problem is with the modem. So I am willing to swap for different modem. Not this same type to chance getting same problem. Got all authorisation and goes to the store. Now spends 2 hrs there..first because they only carry the same type..service reps at the store not helpful as there is no commission in this.after lot of fuss manager calls other stores..but still no lock.

Top it off they accidentally placed a work order on their system to exchange the modem..now that I am not taking that exchange they start having technical system issues reactivating my equipment...they dont have the authority..so has to call in..niw spent 2 hrs on hold plus ...and got nothing done..

Finally took back my modem home..as it was essential that I have some kindda service for work tomorrow.

So how would I rate it? Extremely poor but sad thing is going to the others are all the same.

Canada service providers monopolize and the customer cant do anything.

My familynis from the Caribbean..thise guys in 3rd world country haa so much better options, plans and service its amazing.

Something needs to be done. 

asaad20

I have been using fido home internet for almost 10 days now the speed is good I got the 75 package 

I have 2 issues with it.. it suddenly stops working for like a minute then it goes back to working 

and my second issue is the range, i live in a small condo but still I cannot receive a signal in my room Sad 

Hey @asaad20

We haven't heard back. 

Were you able to get this resolved? 

Hey @asaad20

Welcome to the community Smiley 

Thank you for sharing your feedback, we're happy to read that the speed is good. 

In regards to the issues, I would like to ask you a few questions in order to get a better understanding of the situation. 

1. Do you get an error message when the connection stops? 

2. Have you noticed if the interruption happens at the same time every day? 

3. How often has the interruption happened since you activated the service? 

4. Does your Condo have multiple floors? 

Let me know! 

ek7

I am very unhappy with the process of getting our internet set up. We were told to wait to sign up for internet until the day we move, because we will have to start paying for internet immediately, and the set-up should take 10 minutes or less. Once we went in to the store to order it on our moving day, however, we were told that someone would have to come by our house to "flip a switch" to turn our internet on, and it would happen within 48 hours. Okay, fine. 48 hours pass and no internet. So we call Fido, and they sent someone the next day to come address the issue. We had to take time off work to be home, and there was zero flexibility in our appointment time (between 2 and 5pm on a weekday). He can't figure it out, apparently a line is cut in our house and they need a senior technician to fix it. That is understandable. So the next day, we call Fido to ask when the senior technician will come and they say today, 2-5pm. Well that is a surprise, it's currently 12pm, again on a weekday, and we have to scramble to get someone home for this techinician. Apparently this appointnment also has zero flexibility. 5pm passes and no technician comes. We call Fido, and they say no one should have told us that, we didn't have an appointment booked at all. What a waste of time! Finally, the following week, the senior technician came and set up the internet for us.

I understand that there isn't much Fido could have done about the need for a senior technician. But why would they tell us to be home when we had no appointment scheduled? We work 8-4, it is really difficult to get someone home with almost no warning. And Fido needs to stop telling people they can instantly have internet when, even in the best-case scenario, someone has to come by and "flip a switch" within 48 hours. I sure hope Fido won't charge us for the week where we didn't have internet and had to be home during work hours three times! Very frustrated with the customer service so far.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @ek7 and welcome to our Community! Very_Happy

Our goal is to make signing up for Fido Internet as simple and hassle-free as possible! In most cases, it's as simple as picking up the modem, plugging it in and setting it up, and you're ready to go! In some other cases a technician is required to do some work inside or outside of your home and depending on the scenario there can be some delays.

I do apologise that in your case the set-up was not 100% hassle-free and also for the misinformation received. We always want our customers to have top-notch service each time they reach us, and I'll be sending you a PM so we can together take a look at what happened!

See you there Smiley

GameOfData
I'm a contributor level 1

I was with Teksavvy on their 25Mbps / 2Mbps package for $49.95, then Fido whispered into my ears, begging me to leave Teksavvy and switch over -- I tried really hard to convince Teksavvy representatives to increase my uplink to 5Mbps, but they reacted as if I asked a 5 million dollar loan or something.

Oh well, if they didn't want to retain an existing customer then so be it.... I switched over to Fido in the hope that I would be content with their service. I know Rogers is known for its downtime from my personal experience, I just hope Fido doesn't follow its foot-steps.

As for the speed, it's great. Here's the screenshot for 300gig (30Mbps / 5Mbps) package:

5439210737.png

Hey @GameOfData and thank you for using the Community Smiley

Happy to see that you like your internet service !!

GameOfData

Thanks, @FidoKenny! Smiley

A little birdie told me if I stayed active and helped other community members, maybe Fido would exempt me from my internet bill. LOL ...so here I am! LOL.

Foursticks
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
So which WiFi adapter should I be looking at for my 2.4 ghz laptop?

sarkhadon1
I have recently home Internet with fido and I see the speed is great I have download speed 30 and I get 45 to 55 that's amazing

madiwil

Who were you with before? Can I ask if you're in a building or home? are you in the East or West end? Thanks! 

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for your feedback @sarkhadon1!

Ashton636

Oh man, i had to go through registration just to write this post lol

I was deciding to order the Fido home internet but this was the only review i found.

Since, ive ordered it and decided to share my experience. Hopefully it will be helpful.

The modem arrived on time. Set up is super easy. Your grandma can do it with her eyes closed.

modem creates 2 wifi networks. One is a 2,4 GH and one is a 5GH. If your device (phone, laptop...) is a bit old, it will only recognize the 2.4GH wifi network since it probably will have a single band network adapter. But you can go to Amazon and for $30 you can buy a usb adapter that will allow your old device to get on the 5GH network.

Th speed for my on my laptop (2.4GH) is anywhere between 27mbps to sometime 38mbps (so more than advertised).

And on my iphone6 which can use the 5GH, the speed is anywhere between 35-48 MBPS.

So speed is good and so far no drops.

The only thing i worry about is with more people signiing up, the traffic will slow down their service which is fine since with no contract, you can always hop onto another provider.

To sum it up, its a good service and a good price.

Plus the modem looks cool lol

szannat

Hey! How is the home internet  service so far? Do you get good wifi signal around the house?

Please give us a update

Hey @szannat  and wecome to the Community Smiley

@Community: Anyone has feedback on the WI-FI and the Fido internet service?

Nareshdhami

I don't recommend fido internet service it is so expensive and slow. Even customer service is the worst among all providers. Apology i don't recommend fido at all. 
Here is my experience with fido:

- I placed an order for the internet on 5th April, modem didn't arrive up until 17th of the April.

- I called back to know why it took long as the service agent promised it would be delivered with in a week. It seems to be internet order was canceled without my knowledge.

- Placed new order and modem arrived within the mentioned time frame. But when i tried to cancelled rogers service which had before. They offered me 500mbps download and 30 mbps upload for 29.00 per month inclusive of every thing even HST. 

- Then naturally i decided to cancel FIDO that even the model was not hooked up yet. Called a customer service rep he took over 15mins and he was still digging into the system. He asked a bunch of account verification questions. He did ask me about rogers offer. He asked me if i could transfer this line to someone else. He didn't cancel the line.

I called another person. he did transfer to another department. Another person transferred to another line nobody picked up a phone there too.  This is my experience. This is a real example of ignoring customers. I am going to forward this to the consumer rights body. 

Hello @Nareshdhami,

Welcome to the community!

I'm sad to hear that this wasn't the best experience. It isn't at all what we aim for and we appreciate your feedback.

If you need further help, we're always available through these platforms