cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NO NETWORK SIGNAL.

Olaleyeos
I'm a participant level 2
  • I live in the basement and the network signal is practically dead that is in and around the Redstone axis of the city. Fidò should do something, please. 
3 REPLIES 3

FidoAnthonyZ

Hey @Olaleyeos ,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sad to hear that you're having trouble connecting. Have you reached out to tech support to troubleshoot? You can call them at  1-888-236-FIDO (3436) and they'll be happy to help. 

Olaleyeos

I have called twice to complain but, I even changed from chattr to Fido to see if it would be better yet it has not improved.  

Hello Olaleyeos,

Welome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your cellular signal. Are you referring to Redstone in Calgary, AB? If so, there unfortunately do not appear to be very many Fido/Rogers cellular towers in the area:

Redstone AB.jpg

~taken from here.

In addition to your proximity to the cellular towers, there are also many factors which can affect cellular reception (see here and here). That's why no mobile provider can guarantee service. There are just too many factors beyond their control.

I understand you live in the basement. Unfortunately, basements are not conducive to good cellular signal. Not only are they underground, they are also generally enclosed and made from concrete. As mentioned in those links, concrete can drastically reduce or even completely block cellular signal (depending on strength of signal reaching your location).

I also understand you switched from Chatr to Fido. Unfortunately, making that switch would make no difference in the cellular signal available in your basement. Both Fido and Chatr use Rogers' network. If Rogers' cellular signal is not reaching your basement, it would be the same situation with Chatr and Fido.

If you are unable to receive Fido/Rogers cellular signal, but are within another provider's coverage, there are roaming agreements which allow Fido/Rogers customers to use those networks (extended coverage or Fido-EXT). To use data in extended coverage, you would need to enable roaming on your device. Voice calls and messaging should automatically roam when required. You should note that extended coverage usage is meant on a temporary basis and the majority of your usage needs to be on the Fido/Rogers networks.

There is little which can be done to improve your signal. If you do receive some signal outside of your home, you might consider a signal booster. However, if the signal is too weak outside, there may not be enough signal to boost.

If you have access to Wifi at your location and your plan and phone are supported for Wifi-calling, that service may be an option. Rather than connecting to the Fido/Rogers network via cellular towers, your device would connect via Wifi.

Unfortunately, if your circumstances don't allow for adequate cellular signal, there isn't much that can be done. It's a common misunderstanding that any mobile provider will suit everyone everywhere. That simply isn't the case. If you are unable to receive signal where you live from your mobile provider's coverage, perhaps that mobile provider isn't the right one for you. That said, if you are unable to receive any cellular signal where you live, access to Wifi-calling may be your only option.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers