cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitron CGN3AMF Firmware Update

DDDDDDDDD
I'm a participant level 2

Rogers is doing a trial of new firmware to resolve known latency issues with Hitron modems.  As a Fido customer they will not accept us into the trial.  Does Fido have the ability to push out this update if requested?

i am concerned with doing voice over ip with the amount of jitter caused by these modems. 

** Edited to add labels **

24 REPLIES 24

kr62
I'm a contributor level 1
@DDDDDDDDD, Were you able to get your VOIP working? I am running voip.ms service without issue on Fido Internet 30. This is through pfsense behind the Fido modem, which tuned QOS settings. I can share pointers with you if you need any help.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi DDDDDDDDD ! 

I'll look into that and I'll get back to you. Smiley 

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @DDDDDDDDD,

Thanks for reaching out about this. It's not something that can be done at the moment, but stay tuned!

DDDDDDDDD

Ok thanks for the update.  I take it this is something that doesn't realy have timeline to it either right?

Right! As soon as we have the information, we'll come an update this topic!

pasteusername

Any update on this?  I too am waiting for this to be pushed out.  Currently when the Hitron modem is configured in bridge mode it has a lovely tendency to shut down all the ethernet ports from time to time which makes for a completely unreliable experience.  Fido support seem to play dumb when you ask them about it yet the firmware change history reflects the fix in a newer release.  Can we please get some concrete dates regarding this?

Hey @bpasteusername, 

Welcome to the Community! 

We don't currently have confirmed dates for this update. As soon as we receive more information, we'll make sure to keep everyone in the loop! 

pasteusername

I do not sense any urgency on this from Fido. What is it going to take to get this moving?  My modem goes offline multiple times a day because of this defect.

Hey @pasteusername

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing issues with this service, did you get a chance to speak to our Internet technical support team? They can actually be reached 24/7 directly online through our live chat service right here

pasteusername

Yes I have spoken with them and they are providing zero value.  The first time I called the support reps denied knowing anything about this issue and suggested I bring my modem back in for a replacement.  Now via chat they are totally acknowledging the issue but have no clue as to when it will be resolved. Fido has no workaround what so ever for customers that enable the router in bridge mode which tells me that they never tested this before going to production.  

kr6
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
@pasteusername http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/page/1/th... That is the link of a Fido user requesting a firmware update on the Rogers website. Follow his example to request an update to your modem. There is ZERO support from Fido for any modem firmware related question. Stick to the Rogers support site for updates on the modem. Dave and other community members have been doing a splendid job over there.

pasteusername

I tried this a few days ago and they denied the request.

pasteusername

Wait, I have another response that I didn't see. I will let you know if they come through.

pasteusername

For the first time ever I have to give credit to Rogers on this.  Rogers totally came through and pushed a firmware update to my modem today.  Thank you Rogers!!!! So far the bridge modem issue seems resolved after running a few tests.

Fido support on the other hand is terrible!!!  1st they denied the problem existed, then they admitted that they have a problem but could do nothing to help me.  I have also been promised a call back from Fido management and have not heard a peep.  Fido in short your customer support sucks! Fido you were nothing but a barrier to problem resolution.  Fido I would suggest you get your act together if you want any customer retention.  If you are going to have 'technical' support they should all understand simple networking terms. I was dumbfounded to here that Fido techincal support had no idea what bridge mode is or what NAT or double NAT is.

I have no doubt that this will all fall on deaf ears.  

Again thank you Rogers, without your help I would be moving back to TekSavvy.

@kr6 wrote:
http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/395...

This is VERY interesting I didn't expect them to do this. Hopefully this will solve the problem i posted while back regarding the Bridge mode. Thank you very much for this link I will try it.

@pasteusername wrote:

For the first time ever I have to give credit to Rogers on this.  Rogers totally came through and pushed a firmware update to my modem today.  Thank you Rogers!!!! So far the bridge modem issue seems resolved after running a few tests.

Fido support on the other hand is terrible!!!  1st they denied the problem existed, then they admitted that they have a problem but could do nothing to help me.  I have also been promised a call back from Fido management and have not heard a peep.  Fido in short your customer support sucks! Fido you were nothing but a barrier to problem resolution.  Fido I would suggest you get your act together if you want any customer retention.  If you are going to have 'technical' support they should all understand simple networking terms. I was dumbfounded to here that Fido techincal support had no idea what bridge mode is or what NAT or double NAT is.

I have no doubt that this will all fall on deaf ears.  

Again thank you Rogers, without your help I would be moving back to TekSavvy.

When did they push it out to you? Is it early morning? Did they notify you in advance?

Thanks.

pasteusername

They pushed the firmware to my modem back in early May.  They sent me an initiation process message via the Rogers internet forums that requested:

1. Name
2. Account number
3. Your Postal Code
4. Modem Serial Number
5. Modem MAC Address

I then received a message => Thank you for your information.  The firmware will be pushed to your modem within 7 business days. Bla bla bla....

I sent the initiation message early in the morning, by the time I got home from work the firmware had been pushed.  I have had zero issues in bridge mode since the firmware has been pushed.

@pasteusername wrote:

They pushed the firmware to my modem back in early May.  They sent me an initiation process message via the Rogers internet forums that requested:

1. Name
2. Account number
3. Your Postal Code
4. Modem Serial Number
5. Modem MAC Address

I then received a message => Thank you for your information.  The firmware will be pushed to your modem within 7 business days. Bla bla bla....

I sent the initiation message early in the morning, by the time I got home from work the firmware had been pushed.  I have had zero issues in bridge mode since the firmware has been pushed.

Thank you so much for the detailed info.

It's great to hear bridge mode works correctly in the newer firmware.

I messaged that help account on their forum,  hopefully I will get a response back soon.

FidoStephen

UPDATE!

We're now offering our members the opportunity to participate in the firmware trial. 

Check out all the details here.

daz411
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Thanks for posting this.  I'm thinking of switching from Rogers to Fido and I definetly want to use my own router.  Has Fido pushed out this firmware to fix this issue yet?  Will I have the same problem?