cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Internet Modem.

Oau2
I'm a participant level 1

Recently I got Fido home internet and the modem I got is Hitron model# CODA-4582U.

which modem is latest one is it Hitron CGN3AMF or CODA-4582U? and which one is better?

20 REPLIES 20

alampano

My internet modem is Hitron (the rocket-looking one). It has no issues but I had it powered down and up when I'm having internet downtimes. Can I ask Fido to replace it with CODA-4582U?

Thanks,

Ariel

Hey @alampano! Philippe here. I hope you're doing well. Smiley

A modem would normaly only be replaced by our technical support team if it's defective. Otherwise, there's no reason to do so if your current model is working properly.

Zim

Hello everyone. Thank you to everyone participating in this community. I'm piggybacking on this thread to ask my question since it is related to it. 

Could you tell me which modem has the best range. I have had a torrid time with Fido, already exchange 2 modems. The first a white modem (CODA) was malfunctional. The other black modem (CGN3) doesn't have a good enough range, even for a 2 bedroom apartment. 

My question is which of fido's modems has the best range. Is it CODA or there are better or similar alternatives ? 

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Zim

The range should be similar. The 2.4 network has a better range though so the best option would be to use that one. 

Sumz
I'm a participant level 3

Iafter hearing a lot of praise from my friends I have recently joined fido internet this week and I received my modem in the mail yesterday 

However my modem is different (probably older version) than what my friends have

I received CGN3U, whereas my friends have CGN3AMF

Also I read at the forum here that the best modem from Fido is CODA-4582U

Can MODS please advise which modem is the latest and best .Appreciate the replies. 

Hello @Sumz

We moved your post to this thread since it's about a similar topic. Smiley

We can confirm that the CGN3U is the latest version in the modems we have at the moment. 

Note that the CODA was the most up to date back in March. As for the modem you have at the moment (CGN3U), its frequency range is better and has a range of 108 to 1002 MHz.

Hope this answers your question. Cheers! 

BeeVas

What is the frequency range on the CODA-4582U modem? 

Hey @BeeVas,

Welcome to our Community!

The frequency range is 108 to 1002 MHz. 

Hope this help.

Adreyan_R-V

Is it possible that I can get this to modem Too if I go to a fido store and exchange my old one?

Adreyan_R-V

I already talked to a technician and he said it was faulty he told me to go exchange it. But he gave me a number to tell the fido store when I get there, I deleted the number by accident do can I get it again if that's possible or is it linked to my account

Thanks for clarifying @Adreyan_R-V,

We'll need to have a quick look at your account to confirm Smiley

Sending a PM your way so we can get started. Talk to your soon!

Hey @Adreyan_R-V !

Is your current modem faulty? We would replace it for no charge only if it was faulty in the first year warranty. Otherwise, you would need to purchase it full price.

GarnerHaines

What is the post-warranty replacement cost for modem/router?

Ours is over 5 years old and we had a technician come by recently to check our connection. He said these models have a 5 year life span and after that they get slow.

My kid is attending university online in the fall because of Covid-19 and I want to make sure we have the best service possible. 

Hey @GarnerHaines,

We would replace it for no charge only if it was faulty in the first year's warranty. Otherwise, you would need to purchase a new modem at full price.

I hope that helps. 

JLinToronto

Hello, 

I also had trouble, and still do with the replacement CGN3 modem. The tech said, after an almost an hour of testing, that the modem I had was faulty. He gave me an exchange number and told me to go to a Fido store to change. Having researched this problem, as well as the Fido store manager telling me it was a problem with the modems, the Fido tech told me that I am not allowed to have a CODA modem. I clearly stated the fact that there is an acknowledged problem with the CGN3 modem, both on Fido/Rogers forums by moderators and the store manager. So, to my surprise, I see this thread that says it is possible to get a CODA modem!? The replacement CGN3 modem has made no difference, and I have given it a few weeks to test out. Sitting right next to the modem and I get 3-5 Mbps on 2.4. Can't run Netflix, Prime, or Youtube without stalls. I can count one-one-thousand when refreshing a simple webpage. I'm at the point of canceling the service and going back to Bell if this isn't resolved

Service started May 26, 2019. Definitely within first-year warranty. Definitely faulty first modem, and given the performance is exactly the same, a faulty (refurbished) replacement. Wait, let's not distinguish these as faulty, as in a few bad apples in the barrel. It's a fact that this modem should be recalled and taken out of circulation.

Hey @JLinToronto,

Welcome to our Community!

I'm really sad to read that your connection didn't improve once the modem was exchanged and we really wouldn't want to see you go because of this! I understand where you're coming from and we want to see this solved as much as you do!

To give you a bit of insight, the manufacturer's warranty only allows to exchange for the same model of modem that the account was activated with, which is why the store wasn't able to exchange it for you for the CODA one. You do have the option to purchase the other one if you prefer though at full price.

Since the modem was exchanged and you continue to experience the same thing, I would suggest contacting Technical Support again for additional troubleshooting. They'll be able to look into this with you further and determine the next steps that need to be followed to have it solved. 

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Hawasli

I believe you are talking about the black modem that you recieve from fido once u purchase high speed internet.. now here is the thing we had hitron modem (silver one) and that thing had 802.11AC channels which is super fast and capable of delivering speeds throughout the whole house unlike the new modem that u are talking about the black one which by the way we got it too after we upgraded our internet and this thing suucksss it barely delivers 80mbs when we signed up for 175mbs and our older internet from fido themselves was at 100mbs through wireless.. now my point is.. this black modem doesn't have 802.11AC channels it only has 802.11n channels which is not superior to AC infact it's only able to deliver 450mbs (theoritically) on the other hand AC channels delivers upto 1000mbs. Again (theoratically). Now my solution to this horrible DOWNGRADE from fido is to have your own modem/router that is AC compatible and hook it up using an ethernet cable and place is wherever you like through the house. And this is exactly what I did. At this point I had a NETGEAR gaming router and I hooked it up to that peice of..  yea... the results went from 70-80mbs to decent 200-250mbs which is absolutely the biggest difference when it comes down to gaming streaming and what now and upload speeds went from 7mbs to steady 17mbs .. hope that clears this problem out 

Shawzborne
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

Is the CGN3U a better and newer model than the CODA-4582U?

I was told that the CGN3U is the latest and best available model. Is that incorrect information?

Hello @Shawzborne and welcome to the Community. I can confirm that the Hitron CGN3U is the latest model we have.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

.Hey @Oau,

Welcome to the Community Smiley

The Hitron device version CODA-4582U is the most recent one. It uses AC (Wave 2) Wi-Fi Technology which makes for better streaming speeds and isn't supported with the other modem. 

The CODA-4582U has 7 high antennas as opposed to 6 and it also uses less energy in power save mode.

Hope this helps!