cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bill penalty and charges dispute

ghta
I'm a participant level 2

Fido is charging $11.66 late payment charge on a modem that was returned and a $126 balance owed for one month.

This is equal to 120% interest! on $126 owed.

60%+ interest is criminal!!

The phone rep was not able to address the issue.

CAN you assist?

4 REPLIES 4

FidoFrancois
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello @ghta,

I'm not entirely certain I follow the math of your post. Here's what I understand, please correct me if I miss anything: $11.66 on a balance of $126 would amount to 9.25%. 11.66/126 * 100 = 9.25%

Now, you say that you returned the modem, however you still got charged a late payment charge. To clarify, do you mean you were charged for the modem and your monthly service fee? Those would be 2 different things.

If you missed a payment (or a few payments), you would indeed be charged a late payment fee. That would be independent from returning the modem on time though.

Could you clarify to the Community those 2 points : 

1) How do you see the fees split on your detailed invoice?

2) Is the late fee for your overall unpaid balance, for the modem or both?

Please keep us posted and we will reassess the situation accordingly. Of course, for immediate assistance, you can reach out to us here

ghta

1) Interest is calculated annually, hence one month interest is 9.25% x 12 months = 111%

2) The issue is the Penalty. It is irrelevant whether it is for overall balance owed or just for the modem. The main issue is the quantum of monthly penalty of $11.66 compared to the $126 owed for one month.

3) It took 2 calls and 2 store visits to return a modem.

4) It took 3 calls to adjust partial charges for the modem.

5) Fido penalized I, and failed to adjust the bills, unless a call was made, all of which take time!

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the update @ghta

To clarify, the late payment charge is 3 % .This fee only applies if the amount owing on an account is not paid by the required payment date. Late Payment Charges are accrued on a daily basis until the date on which the payment is applied to the account. 

This situation is particular as the amount was higher due to the modem being charged, the late fee also reflected the balance for the modem. I do understand your point though, in the end the modem was returned and the charge removed which should also have been reflected on the late fee. 

Very sorry to see you had to call multiple times as well as go to the store on two occasions, that's not what we want for our customers. Can you tell us more about that? Why did it take 2 store visits to return the modem?

ghta

merry go round

merry go round

merry go round

Clearly this is a Fido merry go round.

I was directed to resolve my issue here!, however this is forum for paid Fido moderators to earn $ in exchange for wasting customer's time.

Go play merry go round with someone who cares about your responses.

Hence 3% per month penalty on an outstanding balance is = 36% interest annually.

Truly outrageous!!

Gouging clients!