Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Hey @NikoNorth

Had you copy pasted the message or did you forward it? 

Let me know Smiley 

SMR
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

I have received Smishing text today. Please see below details. 

Capture.JPG

FidoThomas
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @SMR

Welcome to the Community!

You can transfer this message to the number 7726 (SPAM). By submitting it, it will allow us to audit and block it from the Fido Network.

This can be easily done on most devices by pressing and holding the body of the message, then press the forward button and send to 7726. No additional charges apply.

Thanks a ton!

cliff
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

Received this text not long agoScreenshot_2018-06-19-23-21-04.png

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @cliff

Thanks for flagging this to us. 

Can you forward the text message to us to 7726 (SPAM)?

Also, be sure to check out this informative article about this topic. Smiley 

cliff
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2

@FidoPierre wrote:

Hey @cliff

Can you forward the text message to us to 7726 (SPAM)?

Also, be sure to check out this informative article about this topic. Smiley 

@FidoPierre Done and done.

Cliff 

esmart

I just receive a text stating that i have Fido dollars . Does this reward program still exist ? Below is the text i receive 

Important Notice for the number (416)-826-xxxx
http://fidopayee.com/
FidoInc. has sent your Fidodollars:(62.54$)

Hey @esmart

That doesn't sound like us. Thanks for the information, I'll report it on our side

You can also send to the number 7726 to report it as SPAM

Here is more info on this : SCAM TEXT MESSAGES Smiley

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Good idea Cawtau...

.... as I have been receiving some even more deceptive types of Text Messages

.. e.g. "Hi (my name here) ...you asked me about my new system etc, etc ...... (then)  click here. 

The very latest was a long SMS written as if a response or a personal letter.  

Since I do not know the person "Edgar" who sent it (or the phone number), I can not be sure if perchance it was sent to the wrong (my personal name) by mistake.  The only thing that caused me to feel it was possibly a phishing/smishing scam was the fact that the words "your visa renewal might be a factor" was included in the Text. 

Have your heard of such 'long SMS messages' from a possible stranger being received?

@wickie wrote:

Good idea Cawtau...

.... as I have been receiving some even more deceptive types of Text Messages

.. e.g. "Hi (my name here) ...you asked me about my new system etc, etc ...... (then)  click here. 

The very latest was a long SMS written as if a response or a personal letter.  

Since I do not know the person "Edgar" who sent it (or the phone number), I can not be sure if perchance it was sent to the wrong (my personal name) by mistake.  The only thing that caused me to feel it was possibly a phishing/smishing scam was the fact that the words "your visa renewal might be a factor" was included in the Text. 

Have your heard of such 'long SMS messages' from a possible stranger being received?

Hello Wickie,

No, I haven't personally received a long SMS SPAM message like the one you mentioned. Are you sure it was sent as a text message? Do you have Enhanced voicemail (voicemail-to-text)? Is it possible the message you received was actually a voicemail that was converted to text?

Regardless, if you don't recognise the name of the person (or phone number) and are not familiar with the context of the message, it's probably best not to respond. Spammers do make calls as well (assuming it was a voicemail)...

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

wickie
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Thanks again, Cawtau, 

I've kept two of the  strange texts on my phone (for now), and will show them to the folks at my local Fido booth at the mall.  They are very knowledgeable and I appreciate their feedback. 

warm regards, 

- wickie

krislbw7

To whom it may concern,

I am writing regarding to a potential fraudulent message I received recently. Details are below:
    On May 11th, I received a message from number 399-3 which claimed itself as Fido number,  which asked me to receive a 53.45 CAD refund by an overcharged  payment. I did not realize that it was a fraud so I click the link it sent to me. After, I was transfered to an online banking website which has all different bands of banks including BMO. As a customer of BMO, I clicked the BMO icon button and then jumped to a fake BMO website which asking me for my account number and password. Until this point, I still did not realize that it was a scam.So I put my bank Debit card number and password, then it asked me for more info of my security questions, I suddenly realized that it was a scam. 
     I am a Fido customer but I have never overpaid my bill. I double checked with Fido, I did not have any overcharge refund. So I stopped from there,then reset my password for security reasons right away! Thanks god there is nothing happened to my account but not sure if anyone else got caught by it.

I look forward to hearing from you for any information of this incident. Thank you!

Faithfully yours,
Baowe

B7185D73-3E5C-4ECA-8787-3A3C6CFCB0A3.png

F85F3ABB-15D9-4167-891D-5C694492196F.png

Hey Baowe, 

Welcome to the community and thank you so much for the heads up! 

I've moved your post to this thread where you'll be able to receive more information on the subject. 

Don't hesitate to discuss more about this subject on this thread. That's what the community is for. Smiley 

voon

Heads up folks. Scammers are getting more sophisticated. Got an overcharge scam text message from short code, 3993, which is eyebrow raisingly close to the short code Fido uses (3333) to send messages.

Screenshot_20180512-062826[1].jpg

Thankfully, the scammers aren't (yet?) able to fake a website address with the fido.ca domain.

Edit: Oops. Didn't see the giant sticky-ed thread for scam messages in this forum. Mods, please merge with that thread.

FidoPamela
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Done @voon!

Welcome to the Community and thanks for sharing!

They are indeed getting more crafty but with your help in reporting them I'm sure we'll be able to fight them off Wink

Nathanstaff

B0852B92-F172-4A77-A661-E5D6B9C81A56.png

Is this a scam? I didn’t want to click on it b/c I figured it was too good to be true.

Hey @Nathanstaff

It is in fact a SPAM. You can view more info about this in this thread right here Smiley

jadyrom

coming from a 399-3 numbercoming from a 399-3 number

Hey @jadyrom

Welcome to the community Smiley

Thanks for reporting this!  You can learn more about SPAM messages here.

aw13
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Got one last night purporting i have a refund of $10.15 and I need to click on a link to obtain the refund. The number it was sent from was in the same short form used by Fido. 

cocoral

Got 4 text messages in a row from 3993(a fido number?!) saying:

"Hi, it's Fido: You have received 53.45$ of overcharge.PLease click the following link in order to claim your funds"

(link to rbc-onlinetrust.com/interac)

Clicked on the link. Looks like a pretty legit website but it's asking for my banking information so I closed it. 

The letter cases in the message looks wierd to me too. I wonder whether this is a fraud?