Thread for reporting SMS spam

MVP
MVP

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Thread for reporting SMS spam

***UPDATE***

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to flag all of these to us.

Now you can send any SMS spam you receive to the number 7726 (SPAM). This will submit the messages to be audited and potentially blocked from the network if confirmed to be spam.

All you need to do is forward the spam SMS to 7726. You can do this easily by pressing and holding on the body of the text and then press the forward button. No additional charges apply for this Smiley

Thanks again for all your help!

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 450
I'm a Participant Level 1 jadyrom
I'm a Participant Level 1

710CBDDE-A2AB-4424-A821-C6D66CF7F1DA.pngcoming from a 399-3 number

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 291 of 450

Hey @jadyrom

Welcome to the community Smiley

Thanks for reporting this!  You can learn more about SPAM messages here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 292 of 450
Highlighted
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Good idea Cawtau...

.... as I have been receiving some even more deceptive types of Text Messages

.. e.g. "Hi (my name here) ...you asked me about my new system etc, etc ...... (then)  click here. 

The very latest was a long SMS written as if a response or a personal letter.  

Since I do not know the person "Edgar" who sent it (or the phone number), I can not be sure if perchance it was sent to the wrong (my personal name) by mistake.  The only thing that caused me to feel it was possibly a phishing/smishing scam was the fact that the words "your visa renewal might be a factor" was included in the Text. 

Have your heard of such 'long SMS messages' from a possible stranger being received?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 293 of 450
I'm a Participant Level 1 krislbw7
I'm a Participant Level 1

To whom it may concern,

I am writing regarding to a potential fraudulent message I received recently. Details are below:
    On May 11th, I received a message from number 399-3 which claimed itself as Fido number,  which asked me to receive a 53.45 CAD refund by an overcharged  payment. I did not realize that it was a fraud so I click the link it sent to me. After, I was transfered to an online banking website which has all different bands of banks including BMO. As a customer of BMO, I clicked the BMO icon button and then jumped to a fake BMO website which asking me for my account number and password. Until this point, I still did not realize that it was a scam.So I put my bank Debit card number and password, then it asked me for more info of my security questions, I suddenly realized that it was a scam. 
     I am a Fido customer but I have never overpaid my bill. I double checked with Fido, I did not have any overcharge refund. So I stopped from there,then reset my password for security reasons right away! Thanks god there is nothing happened to my account but not sure if anyone else got caught by it.

I look forward to hearing from you for any information of this incident. Thank you!

Faithfully yours,
Baowe

B7185D73-3E5C-4ECA-8787-3A3C6CFCB0A3.png

F85F3ABB-15D9-4167-891D-5C694492196F.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 294 of 450
Former Moderator FidoKija
Former Moderator

Hey Baowe, 

Welcome to the community and thank you so much for the heads up! 

I've moved your post to this thread where you'll be able to receive more information on the subject. 

Don't hesitate to discuss more about this subject on this thread. That's what the community is for. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 295 of 450
MVP
MVP

@wickie wrote:

Good idea Cawtau...

.... as I have been receiving some even more deceptive types of Text Messages

.. e.g. "Hi (my name here) ...you asked me about my new system etc, etc ...... (then)  click here. 

The very latest was a long SMS written as if a response or a personal letter.  

Since I do not know the person "Edgar" who sent it (or the phone number), I can not be sure if perchance it was sent to the wrong (my personal name) by mistake.  The only thing that caused me to feel it was possibly a phishing/smishing scam was the fact that the words "your visa renewal might be a factor" was included in the Text. 

Have your heard of such 'long SMS messages' from a possible stranger being received?

Hello Wickie,

No, I haven't personally received a long SMS SPAM message like the one you mentioned. Are you sure it was sent as a text message? Do you have Enhanced voicemail (voicemail-to-text)? Is it possible the message you received was actually a voicemail that was converted to text?

Regardless, if you don't recognise the name of the person (or phone number) and are not familiar with the context of the message, it's probably best not to respond. Spammers do make calls as well (assuming it was a voicemail)...

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 296 of 450
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Thanks again, Cawtau, 

I've kept two of the  strange texts on my phone (for now), and will show them to the folks at my local Fido booth at the mall.  They are very knowledgeable and I appreciate their feedback. 

warm regards, 

- wickie

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 297 of 450
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

Received this text not long agoScreenshot_2018-06-19-23-21-04.png

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 298 of 450

Hey @cliff

Thanks for flagging this to us. 

Can you forward the text message to us to 7726 (SPAM)?

Also, be sure to check out this informative article about this topic. Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 299 of 450
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

@FidoPierre wrote:

Hey @cliff

Can you forward the text message to us to 7726 (SPAM)?

Also, be sure to check out this informative article about this topic. Smiley 

@FidoPierre Done and done.

Cliff 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 300 of 450