Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thread for reporting SMS spam

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

I have been forwarding my spam email-to-SMS to @FidoStephen via PMs to help improve the spam filter for sms.fido.ca

Recently, another community member also posted a similar spam SMS they received. Perhaps a thread dedicated to collecting examples of these types of SMS spam might also help improve the spam filter.

Thoughts?

Cheers

562 REPLIES 562

Hello Charsav73,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely a SPAM scam. You can copy and forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for evaluation and hopefully added to the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Hey @Albertlixw,

Welcome to the Community!

I've moved your post on this existing thread since it deals with the same subject and you'll be able to find the steps to follow in this situation.

If you haven't entered any of your personal information, you should be safe Smiley

Hope this helps!

xjia
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try to use some anti-virus applications to check my phone.

Kzehn2324
I'm a participant level 1

fido sms issues.jpg

Got this one today and have others that asked something different, but it's the first time they mentioned Fido Dollars when I believe Fido Dollars have been discontinued already.

The others have already been mentioned, such as saying my account was suspended or that I had a refund, etc.

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Good morning all 

/!\ ~Warning do not close click this!!

Report sent text to 7726

Screenshot_2018-02-15-10-10-15-1.png

Stay safe!

Marwong

Called a missed call under this spam when phone was picked up it played music...be aware everyone! I immediate  up after 18 seconds, will there be a charge on my bill for this call?

IMG_3998.PNG

Hey @Marwong,

If you placed a call to an international number, long distance charges would apply. 

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Marwong thanks for sharing your

International call spam.

You may want to block incoming call from that number for future so it wouldnt go to your voicemail either.

Cheers!

Scooby-Doo wrote:...

You may want to block incoming call from that number for future so it wouldnt go to your voicemail either...

Hello Scooby-Doo,

Unfortunately, blocking a phone number from your phone will not prevent the call from going to voicemail. A blocked phone number will simply not ring on the phone and the call will just go directly to voicemail.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ranger9c
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi, I received this last night, Funny it says Bell customer, never have been. Clicking the link, takes you to what looks like a real interac transfer site, but it then says it is for a Telus refund. (i once was on telus but it was  over 10 years ago) Searching the originating phone number it is a Toronto number.Scam.PNG

Hello Ranger9c,

Thanks for the information! Have you had a chance to also forward it to 7726 (SPAM) (see solution above)?

Just out of curiosity, did you port your phone number from Telus? I think the spammers try to customise the SMS depending to which block of prefixes a particular phone number belongs. Certain prefix blocks are Fido; others Rogers, Bell, etc. However, with the popularity of porting numbers, those provider distinctions are not as clear. Targeting prefixes with customised SMS doesn't always work. But I guess for the spammers, it's all about the numbers. Only a fraction of their spammed SMS won't match up.

Cheers

ranger9c

Hi Cawtau,

I did forward it to 7726. I did in fact port the number from Telus over 10 years ago. Thanks for your reply. Cheers,

ranger9c

I was showing a friend what this looked like and when clicking on the link in the original post, this is what now appears. It's good to see that reporting this stuff, that things do happen.

Cheerspam2.jpgs!

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Thanks @ranger9c you are more.brave than me to click these links aaahhhahaaa! 

Screenshot_2018-02-09-08-54-46-1.png

Happy Friday everyone!

jaslikesmaple

Hello, I received a text message from 1(705)854-0487 about a refund. It askes me to click the link: refun-mobilityintera.esy.es  While I clicked, it directed me to the online banking. I filled up all the info and realized it asked me to register the online banking account. Am I in danger???? Help! 

Hi @jaslikesmaple

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

This definitely looks like a spam messages. You can check out this post on our Community for info on what to look out for in such messages.

If you provided your banking information, I would suggest contacting them ASAP to let them know and prevent any fraudulent activity. 

raminsh
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I've reported the following spam:

+14027492398

R0YALBANK locked your account for security maintenance. Please reactivate your services below. http://rbc.com.canadabankverify.com/?activate

SM73

I got a msg,  they required everything, thanks I saw it's a number and I thought it's a scam! Someone had this problem too? 8BB2373F-A396-4551-873A-EBE1320D63B0.png

6DA9128F-A048-4633-B952-B19C9BDA46A4.png

084B0631-A79E-42AB-87AD-F499FF5566D1.png

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey SM73!

I moved your post to this thread since it is about the same subject. Smiley

Hello SM73,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the information! That is most definitely a SPAM scam. You can copy and forward the message to 7726 (SPAM) for evaluation and hopefully added to the SPAM filter (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers