iTunes not working on new phone

I'm a Contributor Level 1 AndiAlexander
I'm a Contributor Level 1

iTunes not working on new phone

Just upgraded to the IPhone X from the 7, and half of my iTunes library won’t play. Any suggestions?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 18

Re: iTunes not working on new phone

Super weird update to my question:

still most of my original music won’t play. But now a few will. And even weirder, a few albums have some songs greyed out and some that will play. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 18
I'm Helpful Level 1
I'm Helpful Level 1

This probably has to do with some corrupt files, can you try to redrag all your music folder on itunes for it to fix broken links?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 18

No the files just say “not available” on my computer, and I can’t do anything with them, although they are still listed. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 18
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

@AndiAlexander wrote:

No the files just say “not available” on my computer, and I can’t do anything with them, although they are still listed. 

To clarify, do you mean the files listed in iTunes or Finder (I think that's what it's called). If you mean iTunes, then it sounds like the songs are missing their location information or are indeed missing.

On the other hand, if you mean Finder, it's possible the files have lost their association. Again, I'm not very familiar with iOS. With PCs, music files are generally MP3s, movies MP4s, pictures JPGs, etc. If a music file looses its .mp3 association, the computer does not know what to with it. Re-associating the .mp3 designation allows the computer to play them as music again (provided it hasn't been corrupted). Is it possible something similar has happened?

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but hope some of this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 18
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

An additional thought... Have you considered contacting Apple or searching through Apple forums? They might have more insight as to what actually happens with iTunes and media when backing up to the Cloud. The Apple forums would reach a more target specific audience who might be able to provide additional information.

Hope this helps :Smiley:

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 18

Hey @AndiAlexander!

Got any updates on this? 

It would definitely help the Community to know how you got this figured out!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 18

Nope none of the suggestions offered did anything at all. And some more songs have greyed out too. Like random ones in the middle of an album. Not playable. So weird. I’m hoping an update or something will fix it. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 18

We're sorry to see you're still having trouble with that!

Our members have offered the best advice and workarounds. Did you contact Apple as @Cawtau suggested? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 18