Did you mean: 

Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

Your device must be compatible with the Fido/Rogers network, which uses:

GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz).

UMTS or WCDMA ~ HSPA (3G) / HSPA+ (4G) ~ on band 5 (850 MHz).

To access LTE, the device must be compatible with one or more of the following:

• 700 MHz on Band 12;
  • 850MHz on Band 5;
  • 1900 MHz on Band 2, Band 25;
  • 1700/2100 MHz on Band 4, Band 66;
  • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

The more compatible bands/frequencies a phone has, the greater likelihood of service. That said, the phone does not need to be compatible with all of the bands/frequencies in order for it to work with the Fido/Rogers networks. Access to the networks would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all of the towers use all of the bands/frequencies. For more info, see here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

63 REPLIES 63

tonisage
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

4G FDD LTE

B1(2100),B2(1900),B3(1750~1765),B3(1765~1780),B4(AWS),B5(850),B7(2600),B8(900),B12(700),B17 (700),B20(800),B28(700)

4G TDD LTE
B34(2010),B38(2600),B39(1900),B40(2300),B41(2500~2690)

These are the available bands on my A52 (for the Chinese market)

What bands does FIDO support, thanks

Hello Tonisage,

Welcome to the community!

@tonisage wrote:

4G FDD LTE

B1(2100),B2(1900),B3(1750~1765),B3(1765~1780),B4(AWS),B5(850),B7(2600),B8(900),B12(700),B17 (700),B20(800),B28(700)

4G TDD LTE
B34(2010),B38(2600),B39(1900),B40(2300),B41(2500~2690)...

According to those specifications, that version has compatible LTE bands/frequencies. You can view the compatible bands/frequencies at the top of this thread. So, you should be able to use that device for data. Those specifications, however, do not list any 2G or '3G' bands/frequencies.

If that device does not have any compatible 2G and '3G' bands/frequencies, I don't think it'll function for voice calls or messaging with Fido. I understand that phone might be capable of voice-over-LTE (voLTE). However, since the device is not available from Fido (ie not Canadian version), it would likely not be supported for certain functions (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ashik7771
I'm a participant level 3

Hi! Could you please check if Rog Phone 6 (CN) version would work in fido canada? Here's the link - https://www.giztop.com/asus-rog-phone-6.html  , Thank you

Hello Ashik7771,

From specifications provided on that page, these appear to be the compatible bands/frequencies for that device:

• 4G: FDD-LTE: B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B18/B19/B26/B28
  • 4G: TD-LTE: B34, B38, B39, B40, B41, B42, B48
  • 5G: SA: N1/N3/N5/N8/N28, SA & NSA: N41/N77/N78/N79
  • WCDMA (B1, B2, B4, B5/B6, B8, B19)
  • EDGE/GPRS/GSM (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • CDMA (BC0)

According to those specifications, that device should have the compatible band/frequency for 2G and '3G'. That said, I'm not sure why they specified B5/B6 rather than B5, B6. It could be a typo as I am not aware of any significance of B5/B6. However, if it is different from B5, the device might not work properly for voice and messaging.

With regards to LTE, that device would also have many compatible bands/frequencies. While the device should work on the networks, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here. It should be noted that Fido does not currently offer 5G services. You might consider verifying whether the device would be compatible with the 5G services from other providers, if you wish to someday access those services.

You should also note that since the device is not available from Fido, it's likely certain features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) won't be supported on that device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ashik7771

Thank you for replying!!kts really helpful! So the phone will work good with 4G Fido in canada if I import it here right? If u could answer this that'd be amazing 

Hello again,

Unfortunately, I cannot guarantee the device will work on the networks. I can only go by the information available. Judging by those specifications, the device should be able to access the LTE networks. Again, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your area cellular towers.

It's possible the device might work on the '3G' network for voice and messaging. If not, you might not be able to use it for making calls or sending messages since voLTE won't likely be supported.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ashik7771

Hey there,

So this phone is Chinese Version which will be flashed with global rom. Could you please check if it'll work on Canada Fido? These are the bands it supports- 4G: FDD-LTE B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B18/B19/B26/B28, 

4G: TD-LTE: B34, B38, B39, B40, B41, B42, B48

5G: SA: N1/N3/N5/N8/N28, SA & NSA: N41/N77/N78/N79.

Hello again,

@Ashik7771 wrote:

...4G: FDD-LTE B1/B2/B3/B4/B5/B7/B8/B18/B19/B26/B28, 

4G: TD-LTE: B34, B38, B39, B40, B41, B42, B48

5G: SA: N1/N3/N5/N8/N28, SA & NSA: N41/N77/N78/N79.

As before, I cannot guarantee the device will work on the networks. I can only state that it appears to have some compatible LTE bands/frequencies. While you have not provided any 2G or '3G' bands/frequencies for the device, it's possible it has the same issue regarding B5/B6 as previously mentioned. The other potential issues previously mentioned would also apply.

In addition, I cannot recommend flashing the device with a different ROM. As well, this forum would not be the proper venue for such discussions.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Ashik7771

Thank you!! I'm probably gonna buy this phone lol. This is really helpful!! 

sg3243
I'm a participant level 2

hi cawtau 

I have the following phone

samsung a33G6 6GB ram/128GB storage IND model.Based on your answer it seems that the fido network will be compatible with the phone.Could you confirm.

Galaxy A33 5G 6GB/128GB(Blue) - Price & Specs | Samsung India

Hello Sg3243,

From specifications provided on that page, these appear to be the compatible bands/frequencies for that device:

• 2G GSM GSM850, GSM900, DCS1800, PCS1900
  • 3G UMTS B1(2100), B2(1900), B4(AWS), B5(850), B8(900)
  • 4G FDD LTE B1(2100), B2(1900), B3(1800), B4(AWS), B5(850), B7(2600), B8(900), B12(700), B17(700), B20(800), B26(850), B28(700), B66(AWS-3)
  • 4G TDD LTE B38(2600), B40(2300), B41(2500)

According to those specifications, that device should have the compatible band/frequency for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that device would also have many compatible bands/frequencies. While the device should work on the networks, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here. It should be noted that Fido does not currently offer 5G services. You might consider verifying whether the device would be compatible with the 5G services from other providers, if you wish to someday access those services.

You should also note that since the device is not available from Fido, it's likely certain features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) won't be supported on that device.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

sg3243

Thanks for the reply cawtau,

Just had few more questions and would appreciate it if you could answer them.

So i can access 4g on fido/rogers network but its not sure if I can access wi-fi calling or vo-lte right?

Also will my ability to make normal calls/whats-app calls be affected.

Hello again,

Yes, depending on your location, it should be able to access the Fido/Rogers LTE networks. It would be unlikely that device would be supported for Wifi-calling and/or voLTE.

WhatsApp calls shouldn't be affected since those generally transmit over Wifi or data. Note that if the app deems the Wifi or data connection to be inadequate, there have been instances where those calls have been sent over networks as cellular calls (see here).

With regards to normal calls, it would depend on your situation. As mentioned, the device does have the compatible band/frequency for 2G and '3G' networks. Those networks would be necessary for voice and messaging if the device is not supported for voLTE. If your area networks do not use those networks, your device would unlikely be able to make or receive calls.

While there may currently be relatively few cellular towers which do not use '3G' networks, you should note that the lifespan of that network is limited. They have already begun to decommission the GSM (2G) networks. I think it would be inevitable the WCDMA/UMTS ('3G') networks would be decommissioned as well. In fact, the US has already shut-down their '3G' networks (see here). The information I have come across suggest that the '3G' sunset for Canada might occur in 2025.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

sanwich

Hello, I have a Kyocera 701KC Digno Keitai 2, which is a Japanese flip phone. Here are the network specifications for this phone. Based on these numbers, is it compatible with the Fido/Rogers network?

• 2G Network : GSM EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA UMTS 900, 1700/2100, 2100 MHz
  • 4G Network : FDD-LTE 900, 1700/ 2100, 1800, 2100 MHz (Band 1, 3, 4, 😎

When comparing the frequencies to Fido/Rogers, I'm not seeing any matches (ecept maybe 2G). Do you see the same?

I read the other comments, and it says it might depend on my location. I live in the city (Vancouver) so would that still be an issue? Instead of seeing no bars, I'm seeing an X over the signal bars. Does this mean my APN settings are wrong? (I followed the forum thread titled: Fido’s APN & MMS Settings) Thank you!

Hello Sanwich,

Wow, that is a nice phone! I miss my flip-phone 😢

• 2G Network : GSM EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
  • 3G Network : UMTS HSDPA UMTS 900, 1700/2100, 2100 MHz
  • 4G Network : FDD-LTE 900, 1700/ 2100, 1800, 2100 MHz (Band 1, 3, 4, 😎

According to those specifications,that phone would only have one compatible LTE band/frequency and possibly one compatible 2G frequency. I note that it may have a compatible 2G frequency because Fido/Rogers is in the process of decommissioning the GSM network (see here).

It is not clear as to how long the remaining GSM frequency will be available. Even if that frequency remains available on the GSM network, it's possible its footprint has been reduced as some 850MHz has been refarmed to the LTE network. That could account for having signal issues depending on your location. That said, your phone should be able to receive signals from the LTE network, though it could also be location dependent.

Is your phone unable to receive signals everywhere? In addition to proximity to cellular towers, there are many factors which can influence cellular reception (see here and here). That's why no mobile provider can guarantee service. There are just too many factors beyond their control. You might consider testing your phone at different locations. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

Are you intending on using that phone for data as well or merely for voice calls and messaging? The APN settings does not usually affect calls. Those settings are mainly for accessing data and sending/receiving MMS. That said, the page you note would be the place for the correct settings.

Have you enabled any roaming settings? Occasionally, phones from abroad might think they are roaming if they are used outside of their intended markets even though they might be using a local SIM card.

Unfortunately, devices with limited band/frequency compatibility might not function adequately. As much as I still love my old flip-phones (also from abroad), their limited functioning force me to get a Canadian version of a phone. Sadly though, there are not very many Canadian flip-phones.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

sanwich

Hi Cawtau,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate you clarifying the difference between SIM card signals and APN settings. I had thought they were connected. I am hoping to use this phone for data, wifi, messaging and phone calls.

The good news is I am able to connect to Wifi and LTE Data successfully. Yay! Since your reply, I have tried two more locations to check the SIM card signal, but unfortunately I'm still getting an X for the signal bars, I will keep trying different locations. Plus I will use the "find network" setting featured in the phone (I forget the exact wording)

If I'm reading your message correctly, are you saying roaming should be disabled or enabled? I have had it only disabled.

Do Fido and Rogers share the same cellular tower frequencies? When I chatted with the phone seller (from Japan) he mentioned that he had Canadian customers with Rogers who managed to get the phone to work.

And yes, thank you, it is a nice phone. 😎 [P.S. This brings me back, when forums would convert 8.) to the sunglasses emoji] 

EDIT: Formatting for paragraphs.

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

@sanwich wrote:

...If I'm reading your message correctly, are you saying roaming should be disabled or enabled? I have had it only disabled....

I think it's worth trying to enable roaming on your device. Some devices from abroad are intended for particular markets. They might regulate usage outside of those markets by requiring roaming settings to be enabled. Those settings might still need to be enabled even if a local SIM card is used. As long as the Fido SIM card is connected to Canadian cellular networks, you won't incur roaming charges.

@sanwich wrote:

...The good news is I am able to connect to Wifi and LTE Data successfully. Yay! Since your reply, I have tried two more locations to check the SIM card signal, but unfortunately I'm still getting an X for the signal bars, I will keep trying different locations. ..

Glad to hear you're able to connect to LTE data. That's strange you're still receiving the X for signal bars though as access to LTE networks would require LTE signal. It's possible that symbol is only for voice and messaging??

@sanwich wrote:

...Do Fido and Rogers share the same cellular tower frequencies? When I chatted with the phone seller (from Japan) he mentioned that he had Canadian customers with Rogers who managed to get the phone to work...

Yes, Fido and Rogers share the same cellular towers and frequencies. However, as mentioned, cellular service would depend on a number of factors. Your particular set of circumstances would be different from those other Rogers customers. With my old phone, I remember having to drive across town just to send/receive MMS. Calls and SMS were working at my location, but the signal strength was not sufficient to send the data within MMS until I drove to another area. Same phone, same Fido/Rogers network, different set of external circumstances. Incidentally, that was the impetus for me to abandon my beloved flip-phone.

It's also possible those Rogers customers are also affected by the reduced GSM footprint (or complete GSM shut-down). The phone seller might not be aware of Canada's intent on decommissioning the GSM network.

Unfortunately, if your phone is unable to access the GSM network given your circumstances, you might not be able to use that device for voice or messaging on the Fido/Rogers networks. Depending on your location, you might be able to use functions with other providers. Some Canadian providers do use 1700/2100MHz (Band 4) for their '3G' (WCDMA/UMTS) network. Though, they might not operate the same LTE bands/frequencies.

@sanwich wrote:

...[P.S. This brings me back, when forums would convert 8.) to the sunglasses emoji] ...

Yes, I made a mental note to add a space between those characters to prevent the emoji, but I forgot 🤣

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

phdude

Hello all,

I want to buy a Samsung Galaxy A22 4G A225M LTE factory-unlocked phone (on-line purchase).  This model (SM-A225M-4GB-64GB-D) is marketed primarily to Latin America I think (LATAM region code), but I believe it should work in Canada on the Fido network. Can anyone confirm this please ?

Should there be anything else to watch out for, e.g. compatibility of my old Fido SIM card with the new phone ?

Hello Phdude,

As far as I can tell, these should be the band/frequency specifications for that phone:

GSM Mhz band Quad-Band 850/900/1800/1900
Primary 2G network GSM 850/900/1800/1900
Primary 3G network UMTS 850/900/1700/1900/2100
Primary 4G network LTE Cat6 (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 20, 26, 28, 66)
TD-LTE (38, 40, 41)

~taken from here.

Does that appear to be the version of the phone in which you're interested? According to those specifications, that phone should have most of the compatible bands/frequencies used on the networks. While the phone should work on the networks, you should note that since the phone was not purchased from Fido (and is not a Canadian version), it's unlikely certain features (ie voLTE and/or Wifi-calling) will work. 

If your new phone uses a different sized SIM card, you might need to purchase a new SIM card. You can either go to a Fido Store to purchase a new one or contact customer service to order another SIM card. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. Once you receive your new SIM card, you would be able to update your SIM card via your My Account (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

phdude

Thanks so much Cawtau for your reply and the info.  Indeed it looks like the phone supports most of the Fido bands

On the other hand, it seems that a lot of new phones use Nano-SIM cards whereas my current one is a Micro-SIM.  They just keep getting smaller & smaller !  I hope it doesn't cost too much to purchase a new one.  Has Micro-SIM become obsolete ?

Best regards.